Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,761,234 times

Advertisements

We have issues such as growing political strife and deepening political rifts (and among the citizenry, also) among the people that actually care about the political process and the social ramifications that come with that.

We have a rapidly growing entitlement and arrogance mentality among the general population. Me, me, me. Blame parents, blame "Jersey Shore," blame the "You are special and can make anything of yourself and don't let anyone stop you" doctrine taught in public schools, blame mothers christening their daughters at age two with "Princess!!!!" everything. Whatever the cause(s) is/are, or the complex combinations, you can't deny the outcome. I know that older generations have always had some negativity toward younger generations, but I'm 25 and think that older generations really have a case this time!

Steadily declining public schools overall. Mine certainly did not prepare me for college. At all. Not even community college.

Two very fast recessions with extremely sluggish recoveries over the last ten years. No Clinton, Bush 43 or Obama bashing here: economic recoveries usually are not the sole function and contributor of a president's job and success. However, they get attributed to them. The "I think I can" train moving up the hill with a 15% slope has an engine that has been on fire from all the tension working against gravity trying to push it downhill, and it's amazing that it hasn't completely imploded. I'm not a doom and gloom sort of guy when it comes to our long-term economic health, but I really am surprised that we haven't had a drastic crash like 1929 or even 1987.

General ignorance and apathy of domestic and international political, economic, social issues. This tells you all you need to know: Place ten average high school Canadians in a classroom, then place ten average high school Americans in a separate classroom. They have no interaction with each other. Now, ask them something basic, i.e.: What are were the thirteen colonies? Or, what are the last names of our eight most recent presidents, including the incumbent? Or, name the capital of each state. You know, I betcha the Canadian kids would do as well as, if not kick the butts of, the American kids.

Even in the South, where I'm from, manners are going out the door. No, I don't hold the door open for everyone I see. However, I'm talking about just basic smiles, "please," "thank you," "hey, that's nice." Just pleasantries. Common media has played a significant role in killing common courtesy.

I'm not sure that other British-originated western nations are necessarily any better off in the long run. If I left the U.S., it would not be in the short term, but rather probably over the next 10-15 years. Some nations I'm considering are Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Fiji, Chile, and New Zealand (the exception to my British statement).

If I even did move, I'm not sure the move would necessarily be permanent. However, mark my words: We currently have 7,000,000 citizens living abroad, the highest number ever. I'm sure hundreds of thousands have even gone so drastically far as to revoke their U.S. citizenships to avoid paying the required dual taxes of their nations of employment as well as the U.S.' dreaded I.R.S. I truly think this is a trend that we will continue to see increase even as the economy gradually improves and over years to come.

I know one's personal happiness ultimately can't and shouldn't be attributed to the perceived and predicted future of their nation, regardless of nation. That doesn't mean that I'm not sad and pessimistic about many things in the future of my beloved U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 AM

461 posts, read 1,308,594 times
I agree with your statements. I've often dreamed about selling everything and moving to another country. I guess I don't have that option until I retire though. It is really sad to see the decline here...

Old 02-11-2012, 07:26 AM

4,501 posts, read 6,744,916 times
There are few utopian societies in the world, especially for US expats. There is a solution. It starts with you, me, and others that care.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,195,991 times
The grass is always greener................

Spend a little time in say... North Korea and then report back to us how much "better" it is there. Seriously? Anywhere you have people, you have classes, social issues, and general problems. You are trying to escape life, not the US.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
The grass is always greener................

Spend a little time in say... North Korea and then report back to us how much "better" it is there. Seriously? Anywhere you have people, you have classes, social issues, and general problems. You are trying to escape life, not the US.
Did you see the countries I listed?

North Korea, a poor example, anyway, wasn't on that list.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,090,169 times
Good post. You have an old soul. I have thought about it but don't think I will ever make the move. I wouldn't know where to go and find just dealing with laws and quirks of a new state has my head spinning at times. Learning laws of another country would be a daunting task. A friend of a friend moved to South Korea about 6 yrs ago. He went over to teach english. The money is terrible so that wasn't his reason. I think he wanted a change. He said it really gives you a different perspective. He has only been back once since he left and he felt very jaded on his visit. My grandparents were originally from Canada. That is probably the only country I have given any thought to and probably because its familiar.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 AM

3,847 posts, read 7,924,717 times
I have but not for the same reasons as you. Generally speaking I think every country has its problems, its rebelous teenagers and gangs etc. I'm more in it for the experience I'm a culinary school graduate and I wouldn't mind spending a year or so in say italy or france for some training and to experience new culture. I think my husband and daughter would also benefit from it but to move becasue the country has problems, ah no.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM

14,688 posts, read 7,998,659 times
I would never want to leave or move out of the United States personally.
Visiting other places is fine, but this is home, and can't really imagine or want to live anywhere else.
Despite any problems here (no place is perfect) I still think that we live in the greatest place on earth.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,260,835 times
I don't think I'd want to leave the country, but I did move just about as far away as I could without having to deal with immigration. Most of the reason was just to experience a different lifestyle.

My mom retired to Ecuador partly for financial reasons, and loves many things about the culture there. There are some things that have been hard for her to get used to, such as the treatment of animals, but the biggest problem she's had has been with other American ex-pats. Many of them moved there because they think the US is in serious decline, and are quite close-minded toward anyone who doesn't share their ideology, to the point of basically telling people they should move elsewhere. Since they went there solely to escape the US, they don't have any real interest in getting to know the locals or even learning the language, and are basically setting up their own little closed society. Not all the ex-pats down there are like that of course, but that attitude seems to be very prevalent among the people who moved there because they were running away from the US, rather than looking for new experiences.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I don't think I'd want to leave the country, but I did move just about as far away as I could without having to deal with immigration. Most of the reason was just to experience a different lifestyle.

My mom retired to Ecuador partly for financial reasons, and loves many things about the culture there. There are some things that have been hard for her to get used to, such as the treatment of animals, but the biggest problem she's had has been with other American ex-pats. Many of them moved there because they think the US is in serious decline, and are quite close-minded toward anyone who doesn't share their ideology, to the point of basically telling people they should move elsewhere. Since they went there solely to escape the US, they don't have any real interest in getting to know the locals or even learning the language, and are basically setting up their own little closed society. Not all the ex-pats down there are like that of course, but that attitude seems to be very prevalent among the people who moved there because they were running away from the US, rather than looking for new experiences.
Absolutely magnificent point!

If I left, it would be about 20% looking for new experiences and 80% running away. Of course, I wouldn't mind leaving for 1-2 years just for new experiences before coming back, but the move I'm talking about is not necessarily imminent and would be longer term for more detailed reasons, such as what I described.

I see the nasty attitudes that are just becoming more common place and accepted in society. I see the arrogance and "never settle" ethos that, while present in many men as always, has become epidemic in my generation of women. It's like the baby boomer women and 20-something women are from different planets, although many boomer parents obviously haven't been effective because of coddling, BFF-ing, etc. It makes it very difficult for me to date; sure, looks are wonderful, but I can honestly, objectively say that the women I have hit it off with in personality, interests and humor are already taken. And I don't pursue her and she doesn't pursue me because it's just immoral otherwise.

The irony of social networking forums such as C-D, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn is that they have actually rendered us more anti-social, less personally open, and more bluntly rude (through online forums) as a society. I think the interpersonal lack of tact, lack of politeness and increase in rudeness is a direct result of society becoming more anti-social. I know it's affected me; it drives me nuts , and I'm an introvert.

I love this country and want it to continue to be great for many, many years to come, but even an inept, micromanagerial federal government can not do much of anything to correct societal developments. While many of my issues with this country lie with the government (and, consequently, with the people who have elected state and federal officials and allowed them to stay in spite of enacted programs and laws with which they may generally view unfavorably), my strongest issues are with behaviors and attitudes.

On the other hand, if I left the U.S., I know I would miss it very, very dearly and be sad to be away. Even if for a 1-2 year stint.

At the very least, I can honestly see myself retiring after 20 years of hard work and savings, moving down to a remote Florida Key (only place in Florida I'd probably live), a Texas plains property, a way-in-the-backcountry road in North Carolina, a cabin two hours east of Mt. Shasta, California, or BFE in New Mexico and away from urbanization. If anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues