Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,043,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The thread about people moving out of Florida gave me the idea to write this one. How many of you have ever lived in a place that people tend to romanticize but you found it to be a less than ideal place to live? For example, I grew up in Montana and while it was a nice place to grow up as a kid, as an adult I went flat broke due to the very low wages and high cost of living. I moved to Wyoming and people here just can't believe I left Montana and its amazing scenery. Anyone else ever had a situation like this?
I never really thought people would really make that big of a deal about the difference between Montana and Wyoming. Compared to the rest of the country they are both considered as having some of the most beautiful scenery in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,996,827 times
I was born and grew up in Texas. I romanticized just about every other place outside Texas! Got married and hubby was offered a job in California - I thought I was finally moving to paradise!

I was wrong. California was no fun at all.

I have had the opposite experience with Oregon. When hubby was considering a job here, I'd never given Oregon much thought. I'd never even heard of the name of the town we were considering moving to! But we were miserable in California and wanted out bad... so we took a chance. And it has been our own little shangri-la since! We love Oregon, and we love that most people dismiss it for whatever their reasons are. In fact - people warned us about moving here! lol Glad we didn't heed their warnings...

Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM

10,247 posts, read 13,761,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I never really thought people would really make that big of a deal about the difference between Montana and Wyoming. Compared to the rest of the country they are both considered as having some of the most beautiful scenery in the west.
It is amazing how people in Montana will think their state is vastly superior. What's even more amazing is how many people will live in Wyoming and move back to Montana even though it is a 10-25k pay cut. The truth is, the exact same quality of life that can be had in Montana can be had in Wyoming. Your comment about the scenery made me chuckle a bit. Both the pretty parts and the ugly parts of the state look the same. Mountain meadows and windswept prairies look the same no matter where you are.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,654,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
SCGranny, I'm going to move to Nebraska and live that life! And hold you personally accountable for all events thereafter, just kidding You're right, it does depend on how much you want to fit in. I am curious though about the local attitude's influence on relocators' decisions to stay (or leave) their "paradise". I for one would see no point in changing a way of life (that even possible?), however I've heard from Mainers trying to move south that they just could not deal with the southern distaste for the yanks. Nothing so much *about* the yanks, just the fact that they may have a different accent and voice their origins. In the meantime I try to come up with things southerners would hate about Mainers...
LOL Bring it!

Seriously, I lived down south for many years, was born and raised there. One of the bumper stickers that was popular on Hilton Head Island was "Give us your money - and GO HOME". The reason being is that many folks move to take in the beaches - and discover that most accesses are private. Or move because it is so warm - and then beef about the humidity, bugs, and wildlife (snakes, boar coons that won't let you out of your house, wild boars that root up your yard and chase your children up trees, etc).

But the biggest adjustment is the culture shock. Down South, it is perfectly acceptable for the criminal element to move into your neighborhood, or to even be your relatives. Families demand - especially to reporters - that you understand why their uncle/cousin/brother held you at gunpoint and demanded your purse or car keys - he was looking to get his children Christmas presents. Children as young as 11 having children - often from family members' molestations - are not prevented or looked down upon, but following acceptable behavior. A generational dependency on government assistance is not only acceptable, but in fact thought in many circles to be a far superior way of life to working and being productive. Politicians are judged not by how much taxes go up or schools decline, but by how much government bacon they can bring home to their constituents. Education and personal advancement are heartily criticized and disparaged - public schools are places with high retirement benefits where one's relatives are employed, not institutes of learning. People from up Nawth who think that these things can be changed - or who try to change them - are not appreciated.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,781,634 times
The Colorado forum can be pretty bad with bashing people who say anything negative about the state. I've seen it. It's great that so many people have found their "paradise" in Colorado, but not everybody does. Anyway it still has problems even if said problems are not as big as other places' problems. Colorado residents would do well to just admit that little fact instead of the usual method of ignoring the bad things while excessively promoting the "best place to be" nonsense.

While I'm on the subject, I just don't understand how Colorado can be one of the "happiest states" when it has such a high suicide rate. I sure wish someone would explain that to me' cause that just goes over my head with oblivion.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 14,996,827 times
I have family in Colorado (sister, uncles, cousins, etc.). They are generally a hot-headed and self-righteous bunch. You kinda learn to deal with them in small doses. They can have Colorado and all it's traffic, pollution, COL, and other issues. I think it's why they drink so much...

Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM

543 posts, read 1,142,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I have had the opposite experience with Oregon. When hubby was considering a job here, I'd never given Oregon much thought. I'd never even heard of the name of the town we were considering moving to! But we were miserable in California and wanted out bad... so we took a chance. And it has been our own little shangri-la since! We love Oregon, and we love that most people dismiss it for whatever their reasons are. In fact - people warned us about moving here! lol Glad we didn't heed their warnings...
I'm with ya there! Love it.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM

10,247 posts, read 13,761,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
LOL Bring it!

Seriously, I lived down south for many years, was born and raised there. One of the bumper stickers that was popular on Hilton Head Island was "Give us your money - and GO HOME". The reason being is that many folks move to take in the beaches - and discover that most accesses are private. Or move because it is so warm - and then beef about the humidity, bugs, and wildlife (snakes, boar coons that won't let you out of your house, wild boars that root up your yard and chase your children up trees, etc).

But the biggest adjustment is the culture shock. Down South, it is perfectly acceptable for the criminal element to move into your neighborhood, or to even be your relatives. Families demand - especially to reporters - that you understand why their uncle/cousin/brother held you at gunpoint and demanded your purse or car keys - he was looking to get his children Christmas presents. Children as young as 11 having children - often from family members' molestations - are not prevented or looked down upon, but following acceptable behavior. A generational dependency on government assistance is not only acceptable, but in fact thought in many circles to be a far superior way of life to working and being productive. Politicians are judged not by how much taxes go up or schools decline, but by how much government bacon they can bring home to their constituents. Education and personal advancement are heartily criticized and disparaged - public schools are places with high retirement benefits where one's relatives are employed, not institutes of learning. People from up Nawth who think that these things can be changed - or who try to change them - are not appreciated.
That sounds horrible. I had a career adviser in college trying to convince me to move to North or South Carolina. I'm sure glad I didn't take her advice.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,188,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
The Colorado forum can be pretty bad with bashing people who say anything negative about the state. I've seen it. It's great that so many people have found their "paradise" in Colorado, but not everybody does. Anyway it still has problems even if said problems are not as big as other places' problems. Colorado residents would do well to just admit that little fact instead of the usual method of ignoring the bad things while excessively promoting the "best place to be" nonsense.

While I'm on the subject, I just don't understand how Colorado can be one of the "happiest states" when it has such a high suicide rate. I sure wish someone would explain that to me' cause that just goes over my head with oblivion.
Sounds like the Florida forum! Especially if you disagree with the folks touting Orlando as a "Big Major City" or the next best thing since sliced bread ...
Like you, it's great that some people in Florida have found their "paradise" although I really don't believe the "paradise" pushers 1) because I have lived and been all over Florida and it ain't no "paradise" 2) they usually have an agenda (i.e. trying to sell their house to get the heck out of Florida)

If you love never-ending summer heat and humidity, disrespectful employers, low wages, crabby people (I think the high heat & humidity makes people extremely irritable) I say great for you!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,076,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post

High suicide rate?
I guess it all depends on where you live in the state.
Anytime I'm there or someplace down in New Mexico, suicide is far-removed from my mind.
But place me back where I'm at right now, or someplace that's cloudy and dark all the time, and I've got problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues