Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times

Advertisements

I booked an ABF Upack trailer and no that it's getting close I am concerned about logistics. Where would an apartment allow someone to park a trailer for 1-2 days that is 40 feet long? I don't think they will?
Someone suggested rent local truck unload trailer and then load truck. I can do that, but that's a lot of extra work.

So I thought about going with a "pod" from one of the companies. That is only 16 feet long so I am thinking that maybe I can get a temporary permit for 1-2 of no reserved parking spaces for new apartment.

I am moving from CO to CA in a couple of weeks, and whether or not we go with a trailer or pod it will be stored at their facility for about a month while we find a place to live so renting a truck doesn't work well.

Has anyone dealt with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
The only answer is, it all depends on the property managers and the complex rules. I have seen places give permission for a pod container and others said no. Some make you use your reserve space, others let you use visitor/unassigned spots, and still others make you use the area next to the dumpsters. There are some that have capacity limits so only 1 or 2 movers are allowed at anytime blocking spaces, access or parking on the roads.

It's best to be speaking with them from day one so you know all your options and this way you can plan based on what will be allowed. Sooner or later you will need to speak to them about the trailer, movers, or pods, why not do it now instead of later.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 AM

296 posts, read 1,249,605 times
At my last place in CA (apt/condo complex) we had to park it along the red fire lane curb (the entire curb throughout the entire complex was red, there was no choice) but because my building was at the very back, there was no problem. They said I didn't need a permit since it was private property. It didn't interfere with anyone parking or passing it and it was only there for like 24 hours. I think the faster you can get it unloaded and picked up, the better. It'll also depend how much available space there is at your particular place and whether there's multiple lots throughout the complex or just one. Have you talked to them about it? They might've dealt with it before and may be able to advise you where to park it. Otherwise I think the local truck to load/unload the trailer might be your next best bet. I'm a little worried about this myself actually, I have an ABF move booked next week and the place I'm currently living doesn't have a lot of parking in front of my unit so I'm trying to have the local terminal pick the trailer up the same day it's loaded. They can't guarantee it but I'm gonna call and bother them to come get it until they do.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Thanks good points, I am actually calling apts in OC right now and they have never dealt with out of state movers? and need to check and call us back.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:24 PM

I just talked to Pods and they said between $75-125 a day for same day drop off pick up for LA Metro. Pack rat said no extra charge.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
If apt mgmt limits the space you can use, have you asked ABF about using multiple of their ReloCubes (which are smaller then PODS) instead of trailer, and then potentially having them delivered one or two at a time ??

Additional cost may be same as renting local truck and unloading trailer at their terminal, but less work. Although picking up at terminal saves some on ABF's charges.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
I've used them with apartments one time. The property manager said it was okay for a few days as long as it wasn't in front of the building.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
If apt mgmt limits the space you can use, have you asked ABF about using multiple of their ReloCubes (which are smaller then PODS) instead of trailer, and then potentially having them delivered one or two at a time ??
I used ReloCubes.

I had about a month between the time my house closed in Ohio and when I could move into my house in Iowa. I also lived on a narrow street, off an alley, with a small driveway.

I used two ReloCubes. One cube really does fit in a parking spot! Which is also a disadvantage if you have a lot of bulky stuff because they are small. In my case, I downsized significantly and packed everything into office copy paper boxes, also keeping temperature in mind because I was storing them, and with temps 100+, it probably got to 114 in the cubes, so no movies or computer thumb drives.

In Iowa, I have a steep, narrow driveway, but they put one cube near the house and one on the flatest part of the driveway. It worked out well! I can see it working in an apartment complex.

Again, though, they might not be practical if you have couch sectionals, lots of over-stuffed furniture, or other large solid items.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default sometimes...

like where we are now, if you can load/unload w/in a 24 hr period, the prop management will give notice
to the tenants in the surrounding parking spaces to make the areas available. Seems to work well.
Koale

Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM

389 posts, read 916,291 times
We moved to the OC and used the ABF trailer. My husband was the only one to actually see where we would be living and thought it would be fine to have the trailer parked at the curb in our association. Good thing we arrived several days before the trailer as we found out from talking with the neighbors that no vehicles are allowed to be parked overnight at the curbs (cars, moving trucks, trailers)! We scrambled to come up with a solution. Someone suggested that we have the ABF trailer delivered and parked on the street (in valid on-street parking) in the closest location to the entrance, asking the driver to position the trailer so that there was only enough room behind it for one of our cars. We could then rent a U-Haul pick-up truck and position the bed of the truck to the back of the trailer for easy loading. It really was not that big of a hassle at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues