Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 PM

50 posts, read 225,078 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just announced our upcoming relocation out of state. Whew! I didn’t realize people could have such visceral reactions to someone else’s move. I’ve found some ‘friends’ to be VERY rude and discouraging. I understand loyalty to your hometown, but come on! I’ve even been told “sorry, I can’t support your decision AT ALL”. You can’t support my decision for my husband and child to be closer to both sides of the family, the decrease in COL, or the decision to try something different (after living in the same place for 35 years!)?!!

I’m really disappointed, and just needed to vent. We thought we would have a going away dinner, but I don’t even want to put forth the effort anymore. I'm truly ready to pack up and start fresh.

Anyone else experience this type of reaction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,828 times
I've experienced exactly that, and just chalked it up to shocked and/or jealous friends. Don't hold it against them too much.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Sometimes it does go like that. I got some reactions I never expected. My dear cousin (who really never gave me the time of day when I lived there) burst into tears and got mad every time I mentioned it.

I did notice too, as my move date came closer, a kind of 'detaching' from friends and family. Both from them and myself.

Hang in and good luck! This, too, shall pass and they will be happy to visit when you come home for visits.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM

198 posts, read 464,248 times
We have just listed our home in VT and plan to move South. I am definitely getting mixed reactions but this will improve our financial situation and be much better for my health. Hopefully some relatives will visit when they want to go on vacation in the hot weather, but if they don't we will still keep in touch via internet and Skype. We are looking at it as a new adventure and are looking forward to it!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
They wouldn't hang around for you if a better opportunity came along for them.

Go forward with your life, those who are true friends will stay connected and supportive, those who break off you didn't need to begin with!

also, its possible they just want to pick a fight for an excuse not to help you in the move process, packing, shelping, etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Maybe it's their way, Giles, of playing off that they will miss you being around.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Friends (real friends) were surprised but supported me leaving socal for OK. I don't think most of them got why a small town, but they knew it was something that appealed to me.

Others, well, I heard some interesting comments, but mostly why there. And of course the why move away from family,etc. I was told I didn't know how the people were there. And so forth.

But I just went on planning and packing and have never looked back.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Yes experienced it as well. For me it was kind of enlightening to see who really cared for my best interests, sadly, not as many as I had thought. It did hurt. Some were pretty cruel with their remarks. Its been a little over 3 yrs now. The nay sayers don't say much. In fact, I think they have forgotten how unsupportive they were. They can see it was a good move for us now and some are jealous. Some of the friendships have floundered. Some have not. One thing I have learned from city-data is that relocation backlash is pretty common. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,616,693 times
I had friends who thought I was on the crazy side (probably still do) for moving north, more snow, colder, etc., it wasn't the weather but a smaller, nice town with a friendly feel what I needed. I left an area with 100,000+ people for a town of 12,000 and I love it!

Sometimes people think of themselves first, rather than be positive for the person who is moving. You have done your homework, research, are happy with your decision, time to move on and friends and family will come around and if they don't, hmmmmm, I wouldn't worry.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times
I think it takes a lot of guts to make a major move and I think people who are afraid to do things like that react with negativism when what they really are dealing with is a combination of fear and jealousy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues