Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM

29 posts, read 54,301 times

Advertisements

Without going into the details of everything, I'll be moving to the Seattle area sometime within the next month or two (I'll be coming from southern Minnesota). I've sold most of the furniture, and I plan on getting rid of a few remaining larger items. I should be able to squeeze everything into a 12' rental truck (16' trucks appear to be about the same cost).

Here are the current estimates I've calculated: Between $1000-$1200 for the rental truck, and between $500-$600 for gas (due to the awful 6-10 mpg that appears to be unavoidable no matter which company I go with). So it'll cost anywhere from $1500 up to $2000. I really want to get that price down but I can't think of any other ways to do it. I sold my car, so I don't have to worry about that (I'll be buying another one once I'm out there in WA). I've thought about shipping stuff out there (via USPS/UPS/FedEx), but there are some things I simply can't ship so that's not an option. U-Pack / ABF isn't available where I live.

So, can anyone think of a cheaper way than a 12-foot rental truck??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM

441 posts, read 885,842 times
What about one of those pods?

I don't know if that would work or even apply though...

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM

553 posts, read 479,746 times
Budget has a 20% off on their rental trucks going on right now and I believe they have a 10 footer. Not sure if you need that extra 2 feet on the one you are thinking of renting or not.. but the coupon may save you a buck or two.

Btw I too will be moving to WA (from Missouri) here in the next few weeks and incurring the same travel costs as you. I also have no car and got rid of most of my belongings.. Good luck on your trip.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
What about one of those pods?
Yep, that's what I was referring to when I said U-Pack, etc.. No pods are available in my area so it's not even an option.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison_Ivy View Post
Budget has a 20% off on their rental trucks going on right now and I believe they have a 10 footer. Not sure if you need that extra 2 feet on the one you are thinking of renting or not.. but the coupon may save you a buck or two.

Btw I too will be moving to WA (from Missouri) here in the next few weeks and incurring the same travel costs as you. I also have no car and got rid of most of my belongings.. Good luck on your trip.
I've looked into Budget and am still considering it, but it's about the same cost as Penske when you factor in Penske's AAA discount. 10' might be too small, 12' is risky, I might just go with the 16' to be on the safe side. If it just didn't get such awful mpg..

Cool, whereabouts in WA? I'm still deciding on where specifically to go as well, but it'll probably be a northern suburb of Seattle (e.g. Shoreline, Edmonds, Lynnwood).

Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 PM

One idea I had was to rent a truck with a hitch and rent a trailer. Unfortunately I found out that ends up costing more, but it would be cheaper if I already owned a truck.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 PM

553 posts, read 479,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010001 View Post
I've looked into Budget and am still considering it, but it's about the same cost as Penske when you factor in Penske's AAA discount. 10' might be too small, 12' is risky, I might just go with the 16' to be on the safe side. If it just didn't get such awful mpg..

Cool, whereabouts in WA? I'm still deciding on where specifically to go as well, but it'll probably be a northern suburb of Seattle (e.g. Shoreline, Edmonds, Lynnwood).
The 16' is what I will be renting myself just to be safe. But I know what you mean about the mileage. And with the gas prices on the rise, it's not going to be fun.

I am looking into the Vancouver (e.g. Camas and Washougal) area. But I am not opposed to other surrounding towns if the right house rental presents itself.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:

Doubt it...

I made it from Savannah, Georgia to Seattle... literally a coast to coast 3000 mile trip on $950 last May. I spent $475 in gas (26 mpg) and spent another $475 in food and hotels... made the trip solo in 5 days. I was unemployed for an extended period and landed an aerospace job out here so moving was an easy decision.

I sold everything I had and made the trip with a car full of clothes, a flatscreen TV and my laptop, because for me, it wasn't practical to spend thousands of dollars for a rental truck when I could just sell everything (furniture, appliances, etc) and then buy new stuff once I got here and got settled in the job. Here we are 10 months later and I've done just that.

I shudder to think what that Uhaul would have cost me... LOL

Quote:

I live and work south of Seattle in Auburn... a nice location between Seattle and Tacoma. I'm right in the middle of everything, with easy travel access to anywhere I need to go via I-90, I-5, Hwy 167 and Hwy 18. I love this location. I make it to work in 10 minutes with no traffic problems at all.

If you have to get anywhere near Seattle on your commute, all I can say is.... good luck with that.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
If you have to get anywhere near Seattle on your commute, all I can say is.... good luck with that.
Not a problem if you have a jetpack. After all, a straight line is the shortest distance between two points.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Default Buy then Sell Truck ??

Quote:

Some folks have been known to buy a used truck on one end, then sell it on the other. Of course that assumes you have cash or credit to swing such a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues