Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,694 times

Advertisements

You are 21 and young enough to be allowed to fall flat on your face. Move and party throughout Phoenix and Scottsdale. Try and find a job. If not you are only 21. When you are in your forties it is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
You are 21 and young enough to be allowed to fall flat on your face. Move and party throughout Phoenix and Scottsdale. Try and find a job. If not you are only 21. When you are in your forties it is different.

This person should get an education or save up some money and then do it.

If the OP is not capable of saving up 3-5 months of living before leaving he's probably going to be broke when he moves

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
OP: err on the side of caution... especially right now with the way things are these days... At the very least, save up enough money so that you can pay for three months worth of rent/food/utilities/gas without a job when you arrive. Write it all down, add up the numbers, and save up that amount. Once you hit that amount, then sell your ****, pack up, and go.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I disagree. I have moved with nothing but a backpack and $1000. I lived in a hostel, ate Pb&j sandwiches, and found an excellent live in situation with an elderly man. I was his driver, cook, cleaner, and just helped him. There are lots of lonely elderly folks who need that. Worked great for me. And I lived in NYC for a year. There are jobs for those who want them, maybe not high pay, but enough to get by. I had no car, no kids, no pets, no bills...

Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I disagree. I have moved with nothing but a backpack and $1000. I lived in a hostel, ate Pb&j sandwiches, and found an excellent live in situation with an elderly man. I was his driver, cook, cleaner, and just helped him. There are lots of lonely elderly folks who need that. Worked great for me. And I lived in NYC for a year. There are jobs for those who want them, maybe not high pay, but enough to get by. I had no car, no kids, no pets, no bills...
When did you do this? I can imagine that there would be good opportunity for this type of job in NYC but you won't find it in many other places. When jobs are hard to get for the people who are already living in a place, those who relocate are not going to fare very well.

One thing I see in my city, which seems to be a big draw for young people relocating with no means of support, is the increase in street people and welfare recipients.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When did you do this? I can imagine that there would be good opportunity for this type of job in NYC but you won't find it in many other places. When jobs are hard to get for the people who are already living in a place, those who relocate are not going to fare very well.

One thing I see in my city, which seems to be a big draw for young people relocating with no means of support, is the increase in street people and welfare recipients.
Actually, Arizona has lots of openings for qualified caregivers for the elderly. We have lots of seniors, remember? The pay is low, the work is hard and sometimes heartbreaking.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 PM

284 posts, read 499,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
OP: err on the side of caution... especially right now with the way things are these days... At the very least, save up enough money so that you can pay for three months worth of rent/food/utilities/gas without a job when you arrive. Write it all down, add up the numbers, and save up that amount. Once you hit that amount, then sell your ****, pack up, and go.
I agree that you should have *some* money when you move, at least enough to pay for a couple month's rent and food. Going out on a wing and a prayer isn't the way to do anything. You've gotta have a plan, it doesn't have to be detailed, but it has to be sumthin'.

I've moved more times than most people, I'm in my mid-forties now and I just moved again this past month. I'll probably be moving again before the year is out, though I'll be sticking to the same city. I've lived in eight... nine states over the past sixteen years 'cause I get bored easily or sumthin'. I dunno, I have itchy feet and need to move. I never have a job lined up before I move, but I usually have a plan.

It is not romantic, it can be -er- adventurous, way more adventurous than you ever expected, but you need to know what you can put up with before you sell all of your belongings and hit the road. There are entire communities of people who are nomadic, even in this day, age, and economy -- look them up.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Actually, Arizona has lots of openings for qualified caregivers for the elderly. We have lots of seniors, remember? The pay is low, the work is hard and sometimes heartbreaking.
Believe it or not, that job is sought after in Portland where people seem to like to relocate with a job or savings.

From time to time there will be posts on the Portland CD forum from people with CNA training asking if anyone has any knowledge of the need for senior care. It isn't that we don't have Seniors, hey I am one of them, but any jobs for Senior care has people lined up for them just like most jobs here.

That makes a good point that people should think about before relocating. What is in demand in one city may not be in another.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
The issue is "mind set". I can live very simply, and have rented rooms in peoples homes to save money. I don't mind. I am not home much anyway. And I don't own furniture. But, if people plan to move some place, with all their stuff, kids, pets, rent an aprtment, and expect to just have a job...that is when you need savings. And actually, I would not do that without a job lined up, a good one.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times
There are a lot of those caregiver type jobs here in Eugene (Oregon), too. I know several fellow moms like me who took work as caregivers because while it didn't pay very well, the schedule was very flexible so it worked out great for a mom's hectic schedule. They seem to always have openings for "qualified caregivers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues