Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:35 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

In the end I think what I will do is ship whatever I feel is necessary to live with by ups & buying new/used when I get there.

The reputable companies would charge me as much as it would cost to buy new. Even though my furniture is only two years old, even if I sell at a loss, I would come out even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
How do you even find any reputable companies? The last time I looked for an interstate mover, all of them had scary reviews.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 PM

73 posts, read 113,884 times
Movers are a Luxury Service, there's no doubt about that. If you're concerned about costs, Your best bet is to do the move yourself. Individuals who opt for hiring a professional mover are thinking about either their own backs, or their own liability. A friend that is helping you move who slips in your lawn and breaks his back will be taking you to Court, but a Professional Mover has Insurances and Workers Compensation on their laborers.

In regards to being able to find a reputable mover, Internet Reviews are bad reviews the majority of the time. It's a rare event for someone to leave a positive review - and if you find a mover with a massive amount of positive reviews, chances are they're all fake or paid for. Stick with a Nationally Affiliated Van Line.

Bad Things happen sometimes. Laborers and Drivers are all human, and mistakes happen from time to time. National Van Lines have steps and procedures in place specifically for these instances. If your goods or property are damaged, There are protection plans to cover costs incurred. If your shipment is late being delivered - The van line will purchase you air mattresses or put you up in a hotel - and may even cover portions of your food expenses. If your actual charges are higher than what was originally estimated - There are payment plans available to you.

The following link will redirect you to information that your mover is Required by Law to provide to you.
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/protect-yo...onsumer-rights

Educate yourself before jumping to conclusions and reading up on internet horror stories. If you go into this expecting a bad experience, It's all you will see. Moving is an EXCEPTIONALLY stressful event. Professional Van Lines are designed to ease this stress.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:18 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you even find any reputable companies? The last time I looked for an interstate mover, all of them had scary reviews.
You just have to pick the "least scary" outfit. Moving companies are at the mercy of the individuals who handle your move. Just like the airlines, when a gate agent or flight crew mistreats a passenger, that is the event you hear about. Not the 100s and thousands of moves/flights that go smoothly.

Check this website for some tips and info:
https://www.movingscam.com/

Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 PM

I still think my idea is best. Sell what I can here, & already I'm surprised at people whom I've mentioned this to, wanting to know what I want for certain items. I don't have too much here that has emotional value. Those things I will ship via UPS or USPS.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:59 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
In the end I think what I will do is ship whatever I feel is necessary to live with by ups & buying new/used when I get there.

The reputable companies would charge me as much as it would cost to buy new. Even though my furniture is only two years old, even if I sell at a loss, I would come out even.
be careful. be sure to search online with "company xyz" and "fraud." we nearly lost our shipment as the company never paid the fees at the receiving harbor. later clients lost everything. Can be very sleezy out there.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATVL View Post
Movers are a Luxury Service, there's no doubt about that. If you're concerned about costs, Your best bet is to do the move yourself. Individuals who opt for hiring a professional mover are thinking about either their own backs, or their own liability. A friend that is helping you move who slips in your lawn and breaks his back will be taking you to Court, but a Professional Mover has Insurances and Workers Compensation on their laborers.

In regards to being able to find a reputable mover, Internet Reviews are bad reviews the majority of the time. It's a rare event for someone to leave a positive review - and if you find a mover with a massive amount of positive reviews, chances are they're all fake or paid for. Stick with a Nationally Affiliated Van Line.

Bad Things happen sometimes. Laborers and Drivers are all human, and mistakes happen from time to time. National Van Lines have steps and procedures in place specifically for these instances. If your goods or property are damaged, There are protection plans to cover costs incurred. If your shipment is late being delivered - The van line will purchase you air mattresses or put you up in a hotel - and may even cover portions of your food expenses. If your actual charges are higher than what was originally estimated - There are payment plans available to you.

The following link will redirect you to information that your mover is Required by Law to provide to you.

Educate yourself before jumping to conclusions and reading up on internet horror stories. If you go into this expecting a bad experience, It's all you will see. Moving is an EXCEPTIONALLY stressful event. Professional Van Lines are designed to ease this stress.
I checked the better business bureau.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATVL View Post

That's why I always looked for a local mover, who might have the equipment and desire to make an interstate move. I must say, the times I was successful at this were the least stressful of all my moves. They brought ma and pa service with them.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
www.transportreviews.com

Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,251 times
There are instances where moving companies don't serve us well. But there are situations where they help us a lot. Last year, when I moved from Toronto to Mississauga, I took help from a moving consultant in Canada. I have asked many friends and took the decision. I was not sure of their quality of service. But their dealings were so good.

They have helped me in all procedures from the packing to moving of goods. They have dealt even the small factors with much care. I have a huge collection of crystal structures and furniture.

I was very afraid if they dismantle my possessions. But such an instance doesn't occur. They have helped me in reducing such a great burden. In fact, moving is a tiresome process and taking help from such moving companies reduce our stress of moving to a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues