U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find this post useful?
yes 104 94.55%
no 6 5.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:18 AM

69 posts, read 46,051 times

Advertisements

More advice for those who don't have a lot of belongings.
Amtrack has shipping to select cities and states. You'll have to call to find out which ones, and there is more info online.
It's usually about 1 buck per pound, and unlike USPS, doesn't get more expensive if it's a large box. 3 feet by 3 feet is the biggest a single box can be, as well as 50 pounds in one box. It's a great resource!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 993 times
I think that you should make some money cloud before planning a move.
I think that 4-5k$ is enough when you are already hired by someone, so you will give yourself a time to `adapt` in new city.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:11 AM

3 posts, read 1,481 times
thanks for sharing the experience and it really amazing to read it.......

Old 01-14-2021, 03:36 AM

1 posts, read 466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I’ve noticed that every now and then we get people who want to move but don’t know where to start or how to navigate certain aspects of the move. Since I’ve moved several times, I figured I’d put something together to help out. Since I don’t have kids and I have never owned a home, I feel that I am not qualified to provide advice for moves containing those elements. I tried to keep it simplistic while at least touching on every aspect that needed to be covered. I did not go into much detail in regards to finances. There are some other services and elements I didn’t break down greatly either. That was intentional as to try and keep this tutorial to a reasonable size. The intent was to at least point the mover in the right direction and right mindset of thinking. Further research is up to you, the mover. I may have missed, forgotten or simply omitted something. So please feel free to make suggestions that you feel could be helpful to any non-home owner with no kids, looking to move. Any feedback is appreciated. I will be happy to answer any questions as the most of the suggestions in this checklist, I have used personally. So I will be happy to elaborate further if you so desire.

How to Move: A basic checklist for Non-Home Owners w/ no Kids

1-Identifying the location and the Salary you’ll need to survive in your new city.
a– what are you looking for? Things to consider in choosing your future home: Weather, Cost of Living, Job Market, Nightlife, Crime, Activities, etc. (City-Data has tons of information on many of the cities in the U.S. From average weather, median age, median salaries of residents, top lists the cities may have made, etc. that you can find outside the forums on the main site)
b-Look up the cost of Rent using apartment websites, City-Data, Craigslist, or any viable resource. You may not know the neighborhoods, but you should be able to get a good idea what a typical Studio, 1bdrm or 2bdrm apartment goes for in most neighborhoods.
c-If you make 40K in your current city, what is the median salary for your career in the city you have chosen? How does rent in the new city compare to your current city? Does the increase/decrease of salary in the new city cover the increase/decrease of rent in that new city? Are utilities more expensive in that city? In the South, electric bills are higher during spring and summer. In the North, are you paying for gas? You’ll want to plug the new cities numbers into your current budget to get an estimate of what you’ll need to make per year to live to your standards.

2-Plan a low cost scouting trip - Especially if you’ve never been to the targeted city. Identify neighborhoods, apartment complexes, and other points of interest to visit while you are there. How is traffic in the selected areas during rush hour? Are the apartments you can afford all in high crime areas?

3-Inventory - If you are happy with the city you’ve selected and are ready to plan the move, you’ll need to decide if you are taking all, most, some, or none of your belongings. For some, replacing things like furniture makes more sense than paying to store it or transport it. If unsure, you can just start the purge process and see what you have left over that you just can’t live without. The more you get rid of, the less storage space needed. Began selling or donating anything you don’t plan on taking. It’s also a good idea to began packing non-essential items you will not need, but don’t want to sell, donate or trash. The primary reason of tackling this early on is two fold. One, it allows you more time to sell anything you don’t want to take. Those monies can be put towards the move. Secondly, by starting the packing process early, you alleviate some of the stress of the move. Waiting to the last minute to pack just makes the move process that more stressful. Be sure to perform inventory on each box that you pack. .

4-At this point you should have a good idea of what you are taking. Determine how you are moving your things if taking them with you and where you are storing them. If storing them, do you want to store them in your current city, and return for them once established in your new city? Or do you want to move them to the new city and store them there? There are pro’s and con’s to both methods. Depending on where you live and where you are moving to, storing them where you currently live may be a cheaper option initially, saving you money up front. However, you will not have access to anything left behind, and eventually you’ll need to return to retrieve them.

5-If you’ve decided you are taking most of your possessions and that you don’t want to leave them behind. How are you going to move them? Each person’s scenario is different, so there is no one right answer. You’ll need to assess how much you are taking and perform a cost comparison of renting a Moving Truck, Hiring a moving company, or using a service like Upack/ABF, Pods, Pack Rat, etc. Which is the most affordable for you? If using a truck, you’ll have to find a storage facility, while a service such as Upack/ABF, Pods and Pack Rat allows the items to remain in the storage container in the destination city for x amount of months. Each of these has pro’s and con’s. One may be cheaper than the other for shorter moves, while more expensive for a longer move. Read reviews and do some background on each service before committing to one. The cheapest isn’t always the best and could leave you with damaged goods. Now would also be a good time to figure out how much money it would take to get back to your “home” city. This is your exit strategy. Failure should not be an option, but in the event of catastrophe, you may be forced to look at your remaining funds and decide “do I risk being homeless and keep job hunting? Or do I pack up and head back home?”
**Whether you are driving a moving truck or your car, don’t forget to budget hotels stays, meals and gas as part of your moving budget.

A pretty good source to get information to move. I think many of us don't think about the stuff that is packed for moving, whether it is necessary to take or not.

If you are moving permanently to a new home, you don't need to worry about these things.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:45 AM

12 posts, read 4,011 times
Thanks for information

Old 05-23-2021, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 123 times
Default Packing

If you're hiring a moving company, you'll need to decide if you want to have the company pack for you or if you will pack. Even if you plan to pack the boxes yourself to save money, you may prefer to have professional movers pack furniture or objects with glass components.
You should make a list of all household goods with glass components and provide the sales representative with this list in advance so that the cost to pack these items can be added to the estimate. Indeed, keep in mind that many companies only offer blanket protection for the furniture at no extra charge. Also, make sure that the estimate includes all pictures and electronics. Remember that the estimate is based on the inventory list, so make sure to include all hanging pictures as well as any items that cannot fit in boxes, e.g., vacuum cleaner, lawnmower, etc.
Also, ask the moving sales representative if moving boxes can be shipped in advance so that you can start packing early. You may also want to try to fit all irreplaceable objects in one box to take with you if you can since moving insurance coverage will not substitute for the loss of personal belongings of sentimental value.
Each moving company has its own policy for the packing supplies that will be provided at no extra cost on the day of the move. Therefore, you should check which packing supplies are included in the estimate. Keep in mind that the following packing supplies are always needed for any move:
1) Tape- Even if you plan to do all the packing on your own, including fragile items, the tape will still be needed. For example, all the furniture will need to be wrapped in moving blankets and these moving blankets will need to be secured to the furniture with tape.
2) Mattress covers for mattresses and box-springs- Movers use these to protect the mattresses and box-springs.
3) Bubble wrap- Bubble wrap is used for all fragile belongings.

I worked as a moving consultant for many years and published a short e-book with some tips and information that may be helpful for people who have never moved and those who are considering hiring a moving company. The book is available on amazon, titled Stress-free move: Tips from a moving consultant by Mason Carter.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 367 times
Sending you love from Canada and validating your 14 to moving steps. As a moving team in Ottawa, we get these common questions so often, we had to set up a blog and automated messages to help clients get packing.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:43 PM

7,929 posts, read 10,550,420 times
What is the best way to get a short list of viable moving companies for a cross country move? I would like to research availability, consumer confidence, and relative pricing for a single family home. To be competitive on the house purchase all the timelines are somewhat tight.

I'd also like to know if interstate movers can contract with local movers in my current area to do the packing while still offering insurance for the trip and unloading. The local movers did a great job on my last move.

Old Today, 12:47 PM

181 posts, read 83,138 times
The problem is most will not quote you unless they come and walk through. I have tried to get "blind' quotes and most will not even if you tell them how many bedrooms and or basement and garage space.

They advertise free quote but they just want your info so they can continually spam your email, text and phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues