U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find this post useful?
yes 103 94.50%
no 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM

803 posts, read 1,485,409 times

Advertisements

Excellent post. I've been trying to find a job long-distance for nearly two years now and may end up just moving without one lined up.

I found the following thread to be helpful for planning a budget in spreadsheet form: Budget for living in Northern VA with no full time job
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 PM

13,646 posts, read 11,754,295 times
Great thread and I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

What about a plant? I have this camellia bush in a clay pot that stands about 4 feet tall. It's a very unusual variety (called jingle bell). I'd love to take it with me when I move but might not have room in the car (too tall).

Would I be able to ship it using FedEx or UPS or another company? Just curious.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM

30,512 posts, read 32,916,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Great thread and I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer.

What about a plant? I have this camellia bush in a clay pot that stands about 4 feet tall. It's a very unusual variety (called jingle bell). I'd love to take it with me when I move but might not have room in the car (too tall).

Would I be able to ship it using FedEx or UPS or another company? Just curious.
How To Move | House Plants

Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Thank you suzy_q

Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM

30,512 posts, read 32,916,667 times
You're welcome!

Suzy Q

Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM

281 posts, read 579,974 times
Thanks for the posts! This is great advice but I have one question: Are there a lot of people who move without jobs already lined up? When I first considered a move everyone was telling me to make sure I have a job first before I leave, I was like of course, duh!!! I just cannot imagine moving to a new city with no job...is that pretty common?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Some move without a job but they usually have enough money saved to meet expenses until a job is lined up. With the downturn in the economy, most advisers say don't leave a job until you have another one lined up and I think the majority of people here will tell you the same. Times are different and the job market is still tight, although some sectors are opening up.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 5,166,477 times
TXred, you'll find unless you work in specialized field that is hard to fill, getting a job prior to a move is extremely difficult. Most people I know just save up enough to live without job for a long period. If you're an employer, you're not going to waste your time interviewing a candidate that is out of state when there are usually a plethora of candidates locally to choose from.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 16,648 times
Thanks for your sharing your experience here.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 AM

470 posts, read 962,142 times
Being one that moved a long distance (2000 miles) with pets, I'll share what we did, and are getting ready to do again.

We shipped one car. We rented an RV from Cruise America (and no, I don't work for them.) It was August when we moved, and we had 2 large dogs, so flying them (not that I would have flown them anyways) was not an option.

We towed our other car behind the RV.

We secured the dogs and cat's carriers in the RV in case of an accident. We loaded the RV with everything of value (jewelry, computers, flat screen, all paper work, etc.) as well as everything we needed to live on for 10 days (bedding, towels, clothes, cooking stuff, etc.). Needless to say, we couldn't hardly move in a 35' 4RV.

We had all of our medical info, as well as all of our pet's medical info with us.

Then? We had fun and RV'd across the country, soaking up all that is beautiful about this country. We had many bumps on our journey (fridge in the RV went out, tornadoes in OK, major storm in AZ, and wind like I thought the RV would rollover in the desert) ... But, we made such great memories.

We arrived and set up temp bedding on the floor ... Cooked with what we'd brought as far as pots/pans/plates, got the utilities all turned on and running .... And played with our pets getting them used to their new home.

Just my input from one that has moved with critters ... My kids!

HUGz! Jules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues