U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find this post useful?
yes 103 94.50%
no 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 43,717 times

Advertisements

Great job, really helpful post.........Any suggestions on making a move Eco friendly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM

402 posts, read 1,316,099 times
Lightbulb Downsize, Organize, and Label

After several long-distance and several relatively short moves, my three most important packing tips are to downsize, organize, and label.

DOWNSIZE: Sell or donate everything that you don't LOVE or NEED.

This can cut the amount of time needed for wrapping, packing, loading,
unloading, unpacking, unwrapping, and putting it all away again.
Do you really want to pay to transport those Easter decorations that you never use?

It can also cut the cost of transportation in terms of a mover's fee, the size of rental van needed, the number of movers/helpers to be paid, the amount of gas (heavy load vs. light load & 1 truck or 1 trip vs. 2 trucks or trips), the amount of packing material (moving blankets, bubble wrap, peanuts, paper, boxes, and tape), and possible storage charges.

After arriving at your destination, you never ever want to ask, "Why did I pack that?"

ORGANIZING and
LABELING:

Carefully pack room by room & don't mix rooms. Carefully label contents 4 ways--I'll explain.

PRIMARY DESIGNATION LABEL: It is easy for a mover or friend to read LARGE BOLD FONT labels that clearly tell where to take the boxes: kitchen, bath #3, study, master, bedroom #4, entrance, patio/porch, garage, etc. This can be an actual label with a large font or simply writing with a heavy marker right on top of each box. No more,"Where do you want this?"

2nd label:Beneath the BOLD writing (This one is just for you) label general contents & specific important items that you'll need to locate right away. I buy Avery address labels and type the LOCATION in a large bold font and beneath it I use the smallest possible font to type the contents.

KITCHEN

blender & coffee maker

3rd label: Fragile or HEAVY
4th label: Number/letter code

I number my boxes per room and use A, B, or C according to how quickly the item will be needed.
As need to be unpacked as soon as possible.
Bs need to be unpacked within about a week or two.
Cs can be left for a month or more (holiday decorations).

If you have a smaller house or fewer people in your house you may not need this much labeling.
It has saved several family members from panicking over whether certain items actually arrived.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:37 PM

302 posts, read 446,499 times
This has been a very informative thread and I really appreciate it.

In 1996, we moved from WPB, FL to Columbia, MO. Hubby drove a 20ft Ryder truck and I drove our Crown Victoria with my mother and 2 toddlers. So much went wrong on that trip, but I have the best memories from it as well. My daughter has speech problems. She was 2 when we left. She never ever said more than 1 word at a time and then it was not clear. Hot Dogs were "ha ha's" and I was "ma" and my mother was "ma ma". She had not gotten around to Dad yet. Still, when we got to the Florida panhandle, clear as a bell, I get "Loo ma, da hows eeing rass". Now, that was a red letter moment, ya know. I put my emergency flasher on and pulled over. Hubby was behind and thought there was a problem. I asked daughter to repeat and she did. No one understood it except me. It was "Look mom, the cows are eating grass" and she was pointing to the pasture.

In 2009, we moved again and went from the St. Louis, MO area back to WPB, FL. this time, it was a 26ft Hertz Penske truck with a full tow trailer with my car and I was driving an Expedition pulling a boat. NEVER AGAIN!! That move was rushed (5 weeks total from decision made to hitting the road) and bad news on the day after we left (3 days total and FIL died on day 2).

In another 5-6 years, we are making what I hope and pray will be our final move. We are going from WPB, FL to Sequim, WA (as it stands now). I am really wanting to make this as cost effective as possible. Hubby is all for selling everything and moving very little and buying when we get there. We did partly that on the 1996 move and as we had very little money, some of us had no beds for 6-8 months. I took the beds for the kids They were 2 y/o and 10 months old. Still, this move, we should have more money and I think we might sell most of our furniture, but I'm not sure. I'm already planning on selling the china, crystal and silver before we go. It has not seen the light of day except to be repacked since my father died in 1991.

Also, with this move, we will have at least 1 dog (service dog) and possibly another as well. Kids are right now 18 & 19 and will still be with us. As it stands, mother is still with us as well.

Should I hold off on the decision to sell furniture until we move, or should I just say we are going to? Our finances will be determined by how much is left after selling 2 houses and paying one of them off. The other is paid off. Also, by what is left when MIL dies. She currently has a very sizable amount in savings.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 14,979 times
Thumbs up This information was very helpfull

This information was very helpful,
can anyone help me. I am a new member and i would like to know how do i post a question? thank you all

Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 14,835 times
Default Moving tip: Create a moving binder

My best tip? Stay organized by creating a moving binder.

Here's a printable guide I created that you might find helpful: http://blog.allstate.com/moving-guide-printables.

Print out the pages on your home printer - there are moving checklists, free printable labels, a master moving timeline, etc. - and create your moving binder at home. Don't forget to add a zippered pouch to your binder, so you can save receipts and all the other odds and ends you come across during a busy move.

Last edited by phamm; 09-17-2013 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: URL

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 AM

18,847 posts, read 33,839,944 times
So, I am learning about moving from a home where someone has lived for fifty years, and saved stuff.

There are five levels to this move. It cannot be done in a few days.

One room at a time, go thru cupboards, get rid of clutter, clean. Each room may take a whole weekend.

Get a dumpster. My personal opinion is old Tupper ware is junk, you want a garage sale to nickel and dime this stuff? I say don't bother, but that is me.

Now, the clutter is out of the way, clean again. Go through stuff again. Start packing.

Each room may take a day. You are now doing detail cleaning and packing.

Are you exhausted yet? This is ongoing.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 AM

24 posts, read 130,434 times
I really like this thread. We're lacking good moving resources with a focus on help and support. I would like to share this article I wrote some months ago about the value and power of de-cluttering. It can save up to 30% of moving expenses, time, fatigue and frustration.

The moment we decide to head out to a new place with belongings, we realize how much we accumulate through time. We quickly encounter clutter, discord, and difficulty. You can either take everything as is or make some critical choices. Moving is a very precious opportunity to use to your advantage to de-clutter and reconnect with things you put aside that are important and can come to become important when we move. If you don’t, chances are you will find that mess in front of you, beginning a new something important.

Give Away, Throw Away, Pack Away!

GTP is very efficient when each element works simultaneously with the others and to do so they each need their container. Should you choose to do G, T, and P separately, it works out to a good twenty per cent of its potential. In order to decide which things to give away and throw away, you will be processing a large volume of things. It is natural that things keep showing up around your house round and round… The quicker you sort through your belongings, the faster and the more targeted you pack. Remember that GTP is group work, it works together and simultaneously. The result is very powerful.

Can you go the way you dream if you keep, throw, and give away things? Yes, and it will be thrice as difficult because you load yourself with the old life which is not necessary at all. So throw and recycle the best you can. Give away what you do not want or need anymore and this can give new life to others. You are moving to another stage/station of life. To be successful in life, you need to navigate these power fields efficiently. Use your materials to your power and success, making things serve you.

Give Away If…

• You would give it away as a gift
• You would buy it if you were not tired of it
• It can serve someone you know or others
• It is in very good-excellent overall shape
• It is not a throwaway
• Someone has complimented it in the recent past
• Vital parts are there, small pieces are easily accessible

Charity communities and fundraisers need decent stuff and so do some of the people around you. Charities are getting specialized in what and how they pick it up, most prefer an appointment. As this process can depend on your moving schedule, the volume of your things, and other personal factors, I recommend at least two charity pickup dates. One half-way through your packing and one a few days before you hit the road. Things crop up, believe me!

My daughter decided to give away some of her toys the day she threw her good-bye party and I had a give-away box in one of my earlier good-bye parties. If none of these options work, try a curb-side give-away at least twice. I consulted twelve charities to help me generate the following give-away list. These items are the most popular and cross-culturally acceptable donations.

Acceptable Charity Donations

• Non-perishable food
• Clothing, shoes and accessories
• Wedding and prom dresses
• Electronics
• Office and school supplies
• Books
• DVDs and CDs
• Arts and Crafts supplies
• Sports equipment
• Cars and vehicles
• Medical supplies
• Eyeglasses
• Toys, toys, toys!!!
• Baby products

Throw away and Recycle*

• What cannot be used
• Dated receipts, pay checks, and bills
• Expired medicines and supplies*
• Old cosmetics
• Drawers full of rubbish
• Dated technologies, media, and accessories *
• Clothing, shoes, and personal items unsuitable for further use
• Old paint, chemicals, construction materials*
• Broken furniture*
• Coat hangers*
• Packing materials

During a move we generate a considerable amount of waste and trash. Leftover packing materials, things that we no longer care to hold, broken items, unrecognizable parts of items—that broken tea pot we never got around to repairing. While de-cluttering, take a look at how much and how easily you can recycle those old and worn out journals. While the most competent de-clutterer should do the de-cluttering and the packing, throwing away can be delegated to your precious helper. This includes any car rides and transportation of the waste. It leaves plenty more space for all your boxes and suitcases and gives you a sense of cleanliness during packing. Watch another volume vanish and look forward to your travel. Remember to recycle; we owe it to the earth!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:38 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,994,318 times
Default Moving with Cats

Some of these tips would also apply to dogs.

Before the move:

- Make sure their shots are up to date and you have copies of their vet records.

- If they aren't chipped, have them chipped and send in the information. Too expensive? Stores like Petsmart frequently chip for low cost on pet adoption days.

- Take several current photos of them that clearly show their markings. Keep hard copies with you and also load several online.

- If you don't have proper cat carriers and are moving farther than across town, get some.

*Most of the missing cat stories I heard were caused by either trying to go cross-country with a cat in a cardboard box, loose, or on a harness/leash when it wasn't leash trained. A panicked cat will bite! Carriers, whether you buy or borrow them, can stop a lot of problems in their tracks. They are not cruel. Your cat can survive being confined in them for a large portion of the trip. She won't like it, but she'll be safe.

- Also be sure you have their treats or something to bribe them with nearby.

- If they don't travel well, schedule time to get meds from the vet. Some owners have had good luck with pet Rescue Remedy (from Bach), available online and in many pet stores. There are similar products, as well.

- Explain to them what is happening. Picture your new home and them there, eating and playing. Reassure them all is well.

- If you are doing a cross-country move requiring hotel stays, make sure the facility allows pets.

- Locate an emergency vet in the new town or at least some alternatives so you know where to take kitty if there is an emergency.

The Day of the Move

- Have a designated cat area that they can't escape from. Put a sign on the door and keep that door closed. I used my second bathroom. Lock them in with litter and water. Some owners may decide not to feed them at this point. Put on their collars with rabies tags and ID.

- Keep their photos and chip numbers with you in your Go Bag or whatever you're using for items that must stay with you. I had a backpack with that stuff, plus litter, and supplies.

- Check the door periodically and made sure it remains closed.

During the Move

-Pay attention to temperature. It can be hotter or colder in the carrier.

At the New Home

- Set up the cats first in a room with a solid door, perhaps the bathroom, with a sign on the door, just as before. Do that first, before anything else is unloaded. Leave their collars on.

Your cats will probably wander around and cry/rub their heads on things for the first several days. Some people like to confine their cats to one room for a few days and then slowly introduce them to the rest of the house. I live in small houses and only confine cats when I'm moving boxes around and must have doors open. Feed them and reassure them. They will adjust.

If the Cats Disappear . . .

Even with good precautions, accidents happen! You have a much better chance of getting them back if you got them chipped, put their collars on, and have current photos.

1. As soon as you realize kitty is gone, let everyone around you know. Show the photos, if necessary.
2. Make sure kitty is really gone.

In my case during my cross-country move, I was in IL in a motel room, had to go out, and came back to no kitty. I let the desk know. It turned out that my cat had squeezed herself under the dresser into the tiny space in the back. She was quit annoyed that I found her hiding spot!

3. Don't panic! Don't argue. Put your energy into searching in a logical fashion. It's highly likely that kitty is nearby, hiding. Remain calm.

I hope that your move goes smoothly! With a few precautions, your cats can move with you without incident.

Last edited by Meemur; 12-11-2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old 12-14-2013, 09:46 AM

24 posts, read 130,434 times
Arrow ***How to Tell What to Take and What to Give Away*** (Part 1)

Some thoughts to share today to see how we can sort through what to keep and what to throw away! Did you know that you can save at least 30% of your moving budget by doing a thorough de-cluttering operation? Stay in tune for tips and add your ideas to make this larger for everyone else!!!

You too are connected to your household in ways you may not imagine yet. Things are just things and we are defined materially. Is this good or bad? It is both and that is fine. You just need to know how to make things work for you rather than against you. What do I mean by that? During the sorting and packing process, you will notice that things either work for you or against you.

Have you ever wondered why so-and-so packed up and left a few states away so smoothly? Somehow, everybody knew that and nobody really noticed the effort, it simply looked effortless. How did they do that? They either acquired the bellow skills, or had mastered them before relocating.

Some helpful tips

While preparing yourselves to relocate you will come across things you will feel in peace or in battle with. You never know why you accumulated all that in the first place and you are happy for many of the things you have. This duality can cause some internal friction and this is natural. We need opposites in life to see what the difference is and find the ground we feel most comfortable with.
This friction brings growth and it is natural to feel uncomfortable. Growth is what we create from evaluating opposites and filling our life-baskets with what we deem must remain. The entire process of sorting and packing will bring you in front of items that light or extinguish passions from inside of you. Know that you have to make some choices to be and remain stronger.

A funky story

I have the vivid experience of landing in a new city for work and education purposes with very few belongings and a sufficient budget to accumulate what I would need. I registered on sites with plenty of moving advice and realized that there were quite a few things out there I can buy to give me a hand in my every-day life. Plus, I love trading, so needs and skills just put that together so well. I got up and going to buy some things I needed to furnish my new home.

Some, I decided would be second-hand and some, brand new things. Once, I phoned a couple who had posted an urgent add for a “quick relocation house sale” and I was really after some good garden furniture. I found exactly what I needed and at the price I wanted. When I went to see the furniture, the couple who was selling kept talking about how uncomfortable the bamboo sofa really was, how the pillow was stained, and how her baby had once fallen off. I asked myself at that moment, “Is this woman trying to deter me from buying what she is selling? Is she reluctant to let go some of her things?”

Interestingly, yes. When I answered that I found the garden furniture quite comfortable in the ways that suited me, they tried to increase the price! Well, I thanked them for showing me the furniture they did not want to sell. Back then, a loss of time but years later, a precious experience to share. These people did not want to sell or move on.

They were in full contradiction and did not know how to deal with it, which resulted in delays, procrastination, and no-way solutions. I really hope they sold that furniture finally or gave it away to be useful for someone else. What I realized years later, is how much they were battling with themselves and their belongings, most probably because they were afraid to move on. There will be moments you will experience roller-coaster feelings. It is normal. Choose your battles wisely.

Stay in Tune for Part 2 How to Tell What to Take and What to Give Away

Old 12-14-2013, 01:09 PM

3,315 posts, read 9,257,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Evdoxiadi View Post
They were in full contradiction and did not know how to deal with it, which resulted in delays, procrastination, and no-way solutions. I really hope they sold that furniture finally or gave it away to be useful for someone else. What I realized years later, is how much they were battling with themselves and their belongings, most probably because they were afraid to move on. There will be moments you will experience roller-coaster feelings. It is normal. Choose your battles wisely.
Truly there are often times deep, psychological reasons why some people cannot simply "let go" of things which complicates this de - cluttering process. Sometimes it is hoarding.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues