U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find this post useful?
yes 103 94.50%
no 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 PM

24 posts, read 130,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Truly there are often times deep, psychological reasons why some people cannot simply "let go" of things which complicates this de - cluttering process. Sometimes it is hoarding.

Thanks for sharing your story.
You're welcome, at the bottom line de-cluttering saves a lot of money and a lot of work. It's going lite!

Last year I had a hard time throwing out some of my daughter's old crafts, there were so many boxes full of them that I finally de-cluttered and ended up with one big box with a sample of her best ones, 10 years of crafts do pile up lol lol lol lol lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 PM

3,315 posts, read 9,257,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Evdoxiadi View Post
Last year I had a hard time throwing out some of my daughter's old crafts, there were so many boxes full of them that I finally de-cluttered and ended up with one big box with a sample of her best ones, 10 years of crafts do pile up lol lol lol lol lol
I did the same thing. I kept my daughter's crafts, but only the best ones or favorites. I also took a binder with clear sleeves and put drawings, small cut outs, favorite papers, and certificates.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I did the same thing. I kept my daughter's crafts, but only the best ones or favorites. I also took a binder with clear sleeves and put drawings, small cut outs, favorite papers, and certificates.

That's useful because I've kept them loose and pilled up and maybe it's easier for her to go through stuff this way. How do we store the 3D ones? It was such a trend in school crafts to have loads of 3D assignments and I'm lost with branches sticking out! lol lol lol

Old 12-16-2013, 09:27 AM

Arrow ***How to Tell What to Take and What to Give Away*** (Part 2)

Some Choices are Tough Because
it's about stories more than things....

Once upon a time, there was that fashion for lunch boxes we used at school and these possessions were very important at that time. My brother and I used to collect Smurfs; we even had the entire village and every single person! Their value was huge and they made or mended friendships.

The same goes for CD’s, when those first came out. You were popular because you were the first one to have one and a CD player. Well, good chances are that these years are over and you are done with them. I still have three Smurfs tucked away in a box! You took what was useful to you and learned certain things about life, which, without these belongings, you would have never learned. See, belongings make us powerful in certain ways at certain times.

Ask these questions to help de-clutter

You really need to decide while packing up if you really need to hold on to those images and for what reasons? Is your great collection of twelve lunch boxes very necessary to you, how do you feel about those belongings now? Do you really long for them or perhaps for a different time in life? You are the master of these answers. These choices define your life from today until you reach your destination.

I will simplify these choices to gain precious time. The only actual difference between belongings and non-belongings is easier to find when you understand the following. The word belonging hides within it the word longing. That’s right! Therefore, as soon as you choose certain belongings, others just become things.

Things are items or even spaces which are irrelevant to you; you have outgrown them and therefore give you nothing which you want for now and for your future. When something is too hard to let go, give yourself the benefit of the doubt and keep a sample.

My friend Jenny's story

Jenny used to live in Tucson and she had grown from a size 10 to a size 20 in four years as she had switched into the role of a stay-at-home mom because she could not get a job in her field. She just could not stand the new city and made up for it by eating chocolates, which is pretty much all she liked there. I've done that too... and I can understand her. She lost motivation and found comfort in ores!!!

When she began packing for that new job in Toronto, she realized she had four large boxes where she had hidden some of her classic business outfits from her power years, which she confided were waiting there for her to move out of the country.

I believe that unused belongings have to do with our dreams which are manifested through those obvious or hidden items in closets and storage rooms which we could never activate at our present locations. No wonder why closets are so popular in literature and fairy tales. Lucy Pevencie in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe opens up a closet, walks through some old fur coats, and discovers a new life. So much has been written on closets in the literal and figurative aspect.

See Jenny knew that at least for some time she had to keep those boxes with her and decided to bring those along. She said when she reached Toronto, nothing fit of course, and nothing was warm enough. The styles and cuts that worked before inspired her to choose her new wardrobe wisely.

When she dropped back to a size 10, she confessed that she could still pull off wearing 50 percent of the old slacks, skirts and dress as the lines were quite classic during the spring. Her joy for having found again her real weight and releasing 10 dress sizes, created that need to rebuild an even better wardrobe.

The lesson to learn from Jenny is that if you really need to take something that you don’t use much and feel it is a part of your blueprint, take a reasonable sample of it which does not compromise your goals by inserting too much complication.

In case you missed ***How to Tell What to Take and What to Give Away*** (Part 1)
access it here //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...what-give.html

Stay in tune for Part 3 soon and in the meanwhile, tell us something you're never willing to give up, maybe a fuzzy florescent jumper or something else!!!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,994,318 times
I just have to add that it's folly to toss usable clothing with the insane prices these days. If something really won't work and has plenty of wear, it's worth taking it to the consignment store in the new area, after a six month trial period.

When I moved, I only recycled cheap, wrecked clothing that I had worn for painting and sealing the driveway. I moved two boxes of smaller clothing (which is now starting to fit) but I certainly can't afford to replace my wool clothing or the decent cottons, purchased back before all the imports.

I understand about letting some "dreams" go. I sold, rather than moved, all of the cages and nest boxes I had collected for livestock, but I also have two local sources for those if I need them again. Iowa is not exactly devoid of farm stores.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 AM

Default ***How to Tell What to Take and What to Give Away KIDS STUFF*** (Part 3)

Useful tips for what to take and what to give away kIDS STUFF Part 3

If you are making these choices for someone else, like a child, make sure you include their input in handling their belongings. Children’s belonging and what they consider valuable is often vastly different than what we see as important. In one of our moves, my then 9 year old daughter decided by herself to get rid of a whole bunch of stuff that were for “little children” as she said.

We de-cluttered to death prior to moving and we kept stumbling upon quite worthy things which I did not feel like throwing away at the time. Little did I know, her interest was rekindled when I decided to repackage them. I picked out three boxes, one with designs of her drawing skills evolution, one with a few dresses, baby outfits and little souvenirs from every stage of her life, and a third one with her favourite toy from every year of her life. The volume is small and very symbolic. She says when she wants to be three, she can find the right toy to act so!

Taking a moment to have a good chat with kids is a good way to make the moving process smooth. Kids are particularly attached to some stuff that we'd gladly throw away. It's true we're in a hurry and paying attention to de-cluttering with kids and making sure their musts are met is a milestone to work through to make change easier for them too!!!

To wrap up our series 'How to Tell What to Take and What to Give Away', have a quick look at our previous articles!

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...what-give.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...what-give.html

Some tips from the Series

1. Start learning the difference between things and belongings. This gives balance to your move and will also simplify your packing schedule. Make sure to put away a moment to ponder and take only the best out of your past and present passions. We all remember that day we actually bought the entire scuba-diving outfit without even knowing how to dive? That is okay, because at that time, you had a dream and dreams can and do reoccur.

2. If it is still functional, take it, it will inspire you to live that life which you might have been waiting to live for years. And if you have any doubts about how you might look in that diving outfit, remember you are new somewhere else, and use that to claim clemency. And besides, nobody knows you. Those well-chosen old loves will boost your propellers even further with the packing. And if you have the luxury of someone else doing all your packing, then just focus on rediscovering old loves and daydreaming about how to revive them abroad.

3. It takes a bit of practice to make choices with regard to your things and belongings. That is okay, it is all part of your growth process and understand that you will sort through this. So much of what we own belongs to our hearts and our dreams, our past and our future. It is up to you to gain consciousness of that and act upon it keeping in perspective your future goals. This milestone is important to overcome. It takes will, some thinking and treating yourself well.

4. It is good to stay focused on your future goals and make sure you evaluate what are things and what are true belongings. In order to receive new things and belongings in your life, you need to make new spaces, both physical and emotional. The gap between things and belongings can be scary and cause feelings of uncertainty. One thing is certain, you can receive and acquire when there is space available in your closet and in your life!

For more readings you can also visit this dedicated page Relocate Smart | How to move & stay happy

Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Default 3 Simple Steps to Turn a Failed Move into Success

I am always an optimist, looking for the good and the silver lining in every situation. I even do that at funerals... Like I think about the inheritance the poor relative gets or the benefit of the flower shop and the potential relief the deceased has now from suffering from such an awful illness. I am wired this way and my it drives some people totally crazy, like my mom who can't believe that I can giggle in the middle of a funeral.

It's how I've learned to survive some tough stuff like a really bad move 13 years ago, where I ended marrying the wrong kind of person, moving to a bad place and actually pulling it off with the best kid around the block, my daughter who is now 10 and a math and music prodigy.

Failure is hard to admit, it's bruising, it can be expensive and it is humiliating. Deep inside you know when you've not reached your goal and you aren't getting what you want.

Sometimes people shrug off failures and say 'You can't have it all in life, things happen and all that rubbish. It makes me furious. I can't be the 'Oh Well' kind of person. It just doesn't sit well with me. I know there are reasons that last move didn't work, which is why this last one is working because I decided to go deeper than the 'oh well' emotional 75% rebate.

My last failed move was the step toward my best move. It was a lesson a challenge and new choices.

Looking back at this process - I even wrote an entire e-book on it after I realized how I did it, step-by-step, it took some time to break this down and summarize it into 3 Simple Steps.

1. Try to Reframe things

Maybe you've felt that you were too good for the place because Sally, your best friend, found these words to comfort you. In order to understand where things went wrong, (I hate the word fault) it needs some time, distance and clear vision.

Try looking at things from a different perspective. Ask trusted people for their views. Different opinions will come forward. Don't take them too personally, just grab the useful information and then put these thoughts together to start painting a better picture.

While guilt is the stupidest feeling, evaluation is your best skill possible. It's important to care and think through the past for some time, so that you don't end up feeling guilty about a bad past move over the long-run. Maybe it'll take a week, a month. My one disastrous move took me 1 entire year to get rid off.

Then I looked for the silver line. I coupled that with another year's of research and wrote a book on relocating and best practices. Then, I began the blog and I feed it everyday to help others before I forget everything!

2. Revise your stuff

People will give you new ideas, tell you what's not their business, like me here, and new ideas will begin cropping up.

Then, you'll start getting hungry for more and better.

Then, you'll feel a bit too saturated, which is good time to take a break and revise.
Allow yourself the time and a good pat on the shoulder for a good reframe and keep revising your thoughts and the new ideas and perspectives.

This time works magic if and when you allow yourself to experience it. Instead of being angry at yourself, give yourself this time to wipe out the bad past.

3. Go back into Focus mode

By now, you're going to begin generating new ideas maybe a few at a time.

Slowly, or sometimes it's quicker, new ideas start grouping about your future.

Never look back because you will loose speed and momentum.

Start putting these ideas down in a diary or your tablet and start creating systems to support yourself and make your goals come true.

It's your turn to

Think which past failure might be making your feel useless or incapable of making the best choices.
Who you can confide to about the dark feelings
Decide how you will use your present knowledge to make better choices today and tomorrow.

This way, I hope, you will be able to put those failures in perspective and realize that these were simply small distractions and that you're back on the right path.

Keep it up!
Lydia

Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 PM

659 posts, read 1,041,960 times
Default Unwritten tips and best practices for moving

So we haven't moved in 10.5 years which is the longest we've been at one address in a while. This next move will be cross country so I've been very intentional and strategic about the process. Today I was doing one of my prepacking steps which was to go thru file cabinets and start shredding papers when it dawned on me that all the shred would be great for packing dishes. I'm not at the dish packing step yet but the whole idea got me to thinking about what other efficient tips are out there that are not written in typical moving manuals or list. I've helped friends pack and unpack over the years and I am always amazed at what a cluster or ordeal it is. So lets share:

Allow 1 month of premove prepping for every 2 years you have lived in your current home

When sorting clothes, dishes and misc for future yard sales price them ahead of time as you go

Attempt to sell books that you absolutely don't need/ want at a book seller first then yard sale

Craigslist or ebay before you yard sale and put every reasonable thing in a yard sale before going to the dumb, your trash is someone elses treasure

Get receipts for items donated to Goodwill or charity

reGift plants to friends and family several weeks before your move

old shower curtains make good drop clothes for painting

scan all important documents and save on a back up drive

when doing a change of addy with USPS get extras cards and repeat 6 and 12 months after move
there may be that long lost aunt trying to send you a card or alumni needing to update mailing list

NOTIFY BANKS AND CARD COMPANIES A WEEK AHEAD OF MOVE so that your cards won't get flagged when making out of state purchases

get letters of credit from local utility companies in advance of your move to avoid high deposits in new location

send handwritten thank you with fwd addy to colleagues and former employers who you like or might just need for future references, be sure to add them to your holiday card list

old t-shirts and bath towels make great cleaning rags, cut them up ahead of time

vacuum duct work and change CHA filters as a courtesy, buy filters for new home ahead of time in bulk

locate recycle center at new residence

SAGE NEW HOUSE 1-2 days before you clean and move in

Last edited by UNITYinternational; 01-24-2014 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: obscene # of typos, didn't even get them all

Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM

836 posts, read 1,475,648 times
Great tips- I'm an old salt at moving and you've thought of ones i didn't!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 AM

659 posts, read 1,041,960 times
Deep clean behind and under appliances months before your big move so that come move day you are just vacuuming/ sweeping and wiping

deep clean light fixtures (globes and ceiling fan blades) weeks ahead

If renting out soon to be former home replace toilets with low flow options and do the same in new home before occupancy

replace batteries in smoke and CO2 detectors as well as garage remotes

use vacation response on personal email if you will be delayed in getting internet or responding to email

DO NOT take broken items, games and tuppeware with missing pieces, misc chargers and plugs or other useless stuff to new home

DO NOT use attic storage in new home, make peace with whom or to where all that stuff should go before your move

Use the relo as an opportunity to embrace greener/ safer cleaning products

If renting our home take pics while furnished and empty, also video tape appearance of home for future before and afters should a tenant cause any damages and video tape future rental for yourself too

fill and paint holes weeks before painting

when packing be specific with labeling, instead of just dishes list : DISHES EVERYDAY PLATES vs. DISHES TURKEY DAY CHINA

locate library, USPS, recycle center, grocer, and Ace Hardware, fire and police ahead of move

store future garage sale items in boxes in garage, prepack keep items and store in closets and spare bedrooms

once garage is emptied and broom clean move all boxes to garage with a label side facing outward, stack boxes in rows that you can walk between or along walls

empty boxes from pods or truck into garage stacked the same as above so you can unpack necessities first

map out and decide floor plan for new furniture before delivery so proper placement can be made the first time when the muscles arrive with your stuff

get a google number for transition period

save dry cleaning bags for wrapping sofa and accent pillows

use old pillow cases to cover backs of chairs

label anything you have to disassemble L and R , top and bottom and store hardware in a ziploc taped to the base

catalog dvds and cds, store in holder and transport in car not moving truck, same with family photo albums, passports and birth certificates

register to vote the same day you change license or complete absentee ballot if too late to change before upcoming election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues