U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you find this post useful?
yes 108 93.10%
no 8 6.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 PM

192 posts, read 237,480 times

Advertisements

I just spent my entire life in places I didn't belong or find much if any happiness or sense of belonging, including my hometown, an elite college town. Do you really think the factors involved are just the practical ones? Since most people participate in the group think, you participate in what ever the majority thinks is so. It it not so. There are such a thing as sensitive beings, panda bears. Many people grow up in abuse or deal with other serious housing issues.

American society has become vulgarized with everything geared towards the young and the wealthy, and it's depressing because the only way to get away from it is to just stay home isolated or live in very rural areas that are generally very lonely. Starting at 25 after college in a place and 60, the birthday I am about to face, is apples and oranges.

I've lived in many many places and I to have never liked any particular place in America with a caveat, that isn't FREEZING COLD IN WINTER!! All the great beautiful places have hellish 7 month winters, that is the problem. Plenty of places are great from May 1 to Oct 1. THIS winter was awful in the south!!. The city congestion and populations just got to stressful. Life and housing became to competitive. That is compounded if you are single and older like over 50.

So I got the brilliant idea to leave NYC and move to another city, and within 13 years I'm being forced out, not by economics, but by cultural age and social bias. There's nobody here but rich college students and musicians that never had to work. They can afford what I still can't. I am rejected socially. I am very unhappy where I am and very lonely. The prices have skyrocketed, younger people don't follow rules so the neighborhoods deteriorate, garbage and graffiti show up but millennials think of that as street decorations. My life is destroyed, I often sob myself to sleep. This is the results of mass gentrification, and it's been all within 5 years. My garden out front became pointless, they just walk their dogs right into the flowers. Who does that???
The mistake was not buying in LA in 2005 when you could still get a real house in a nice area for 300k. I did this instead, regretfully. Now you have to travel three hours outside a large city in Cali to own a home in that range in a safe area for me anyway. So it won't happen. My dream apartment in Pacific Palisades on the listing right now, something I will never be able to afford.

Housing is a crisis, and those of you who settled early or whatever situation to make you so smug need to find some empathy.

That being said, the Western world is still free. American are very welcome almost anywhere, if you're unhappy, maybe it's American culture getting us down! My next try is Los Angeles and California in general, no renting just extensive travel, then over seas, if I can recover enough from the debilitating depression to get there, get anywhere or even go on.

If you are a happy person, count your blessings. I find it unfathomable someone with feelings would attack someone who says they don't like it anywhere. This is why people don't bother to express true feelings or give facts about anything.

I will not comment on the city I reside, and how it's taken my final years of youth and crushed my life. If you found your place in this world and are smug about it, karma will return to you in kind. Be grateful and show some compassion.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-10-2020 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: trolling/discussing moderation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 AM

4,292 posts, read 3,555,051 times
Just my luck- haven't moved in 30 ish years and planning to move within the next 6 weeks. Getting overwhelmed and thought I would browse this thread but yes it does seem dated.
So for 2018-- we will have movers but would like to do a good deal of the packing and prep ourselves.
We are moving most contents of a large home to an area (different state ) approx 50 miles away.
Where is the best place to get packing boxes and supplies? I know the movers will supply but thinking that in this day and age, amazon? lowes? walmart?
What is the wisdom you can share.
Also we will be packing our kitchen and dining room items as well as the breakables but for furniture is there anything we need to do before the movers handle it? thank you

Old 06-03-2018, 12:24 PM

309 posts, read 242,549 times
Try nextdoor.com, if you have one in your area. It's a site where I often see neighbors offering FREE moving boxes, along with other items.

We have a moving company that will be doing our packing, but they did request that anything attached to the walls be removed by us personally. They also would prefer to move all electronic devices (tv, computers, etc.) in their original packaging. While I know we have the boxes, I'm fairly certain we no longer have the styrofoam bits.

We were also told that if we are moving our FRONT LOADING washer, to buy a stabilizing kit and install it in preparation for the move. Apparently, those machines do not do well during transport.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:14 PM

1,193 posts, read 644,808 times
Butterflygirl, excellent advice! I got most of my boxes from nextdoor.com as well. Also, just asked for any good-looking boxes if I saw them at the grocery store and liquor stores have the best size boxes for books...not too big, not too small. Still trying to figure out all of the logistics of the move.....will be doing packing and probably packing pod myself.....giving away all large/heavy furniture. It is all definitely complicated and stressful!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 AM

6,661 posts, read 5,274,618 times
My dresser was obviously dropped or dragged along concrete as two corners are badly scraped. Since it was my first time hiring movers I had no idea what t do. In hindsight, I would have reinforced the corners with heavy cardboard, and taped blankets or fabric around the corners.

The sad thing is that I chose to move my furniture because it was good quality and fairly new, less than a year old & now the dresser looks like crap.

I got most of m my boxes from Walmart but the little store by my old apartment also saved me boxes their water came in. Very sturdy & just the right size for heavy items, like books.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 AM

215 posts, read 128,674 times
Expect that no matter how well you plan it, there is going to be a lot of uncertainty in your move. You can only do so much. It's going to be an adventure!

If it helps decide what the keep, ask yourself if it is worthy to be moved cross county. What we use is "Is it Tennessee worthy?" Some things are worth moving, because they are important to you or something that can't be replaced. When in doubt, keep it! You are going to a strange new place and it will make it feel like home when you have your things unpacked and put in their new places.

If you are moving animals, it's really helpful to take water with you, whatever they normally drink. We do this on short trips and will be doing it on the big move too. Same thing with their food. Try to keep the regular schedules as far as feeding. Animals like their routines and the move will be stressful enough.

We are moving cross country with no safety net. We are both retired, and selling off our properties before we leave. But we don't have a new home and we don't know anyone in that part of the world. We have a large delivery van that we will use to move our belongings and I suspect we will buy a mini motorhome for the move, so that we have a place to live in while we sort out what we want to buy. We are still trying to sort out how the move will work. We've lined up some services in the area that we are planning on. It will be an adventure, but one that we are ready to take on.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:18 PM

5,818 posts, read 4,554,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
My dresser was obviously dropped or dragged along concrete as two corners are badly scraped. Since it was my first time hiring movers I had no idea what t do. In hindsight, I would have reinforced the corners with heavy cardboard, and taped blankets or fabric around the corners.

The sad thing is that I chose to move my furniture because it was good quality and fairly new, less than a year old & now the dresser looks like crap.

I got most of m my boxes from Walmart but the little store by my old apartment also saved me boxes their water came in. Very sturdy & just the right size for heavy items, like books.

You just helped me see "the light"! And thank you.

I'm not going to hire a mover, I'm just going to pack the car and go. I had very similar experience with my stuff. I have moved a few times and each time something happened. But one of the last times the mover had to put my stuff in storage as the apartment I was moving to called and told me I could not move there. Yikes.

So they put my stuff in a warehouse. While it was there someone spray painted something and the white paint got all over my dresser. Then I discovered someone had poured a large amount of Old Spice on the mattress and there were footprints all over it and the box springs.

So what's the point of moving it again and paying big $$$.

I feel better. Now all I have to do is sell my stuff.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 AM

74 posts, read 42,033 times
Hello Ankhharu,
Great and well-written post. really very helpful.
Thanks.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,996 times
Lightbulb I always look to see if internet service is available before I move

Sorry if anyone else has already mentioned checking for internet service! I saw a lot of other kinds of utilities and services talked about, but didn't notice anything about finding a new internet service provider. I move every couple of years or so due to my husband's work. I have my own blog that makes a fair amount of money, and my kids are getting older and they have more projects and classes that are web-based, so it's absolutely essential that we don't get stuck with a slow connection.

I use this site a lot: https://internetprovidersbyzip.com/ to check internet availability at a house I'm interested in before we buy or sign a rental agreement. I forgot to do it once, and I really regretted it, because all we could get was a slow 1.5 Mbps connection. If we wanted to watch something on Netflix, we literally had to leave the movie buffering overnight to be able to watch it all the way through. Sometimes it could take hours to upload images to my blog, or even error out trying to upload larger files. It was super frustrating, and we lived there for two whole years. We were always told that faster cable internet was coming to the neighborhood, but it never did while we lived there.

I hope this helps someone, even just a little bit!

Old 08-14-2018, 01:20 AM

74 posts, read 42,033 times
Hi Ankhharu,
Great and well-written information.
Really very helpful for individuals, who are planning to move.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues