Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

The suggestion about the leash is a great idea. I've always done this, and never thought about NOT doing it. I don't even let him out of his crate until I've got that leash on, and he stays in the crate with his harness on.

Another thought (and I have a pet friendly travel website, so I do this often and get lots of emails with advice and horror stories) - get a new pet tag. The tag should include a phone number for your cell that you have with you and well as a phone number for someone who knows your entire itinerary and how to get hold of you. It should have the dog's name and your email address. No need for home city or city of destination.

Why the second phone number? If your cell is dead, or if you are out of range, there is another phone number for someone to call. Sadly, some people just give up after one phone call unless they have an easy alternative.

And if you have microchipped yet, get it done.

Update the dog's shots before you leave and pack the information with you. I have had to produce it - once - in a hotel, and several times when we were traveling and took advantage of doggie day care. Pack a doggie emergency kit.

If you leave the dog in the hotel room when you go out to dinner, ALWAYS leave the dog in the crate. In case someone from maintenance or housekeeping needs to get in. If you need help finding pet friendly hotels on your trip, shoot me a PM or send me an email at the site listed on my profile (I'm not allowed to post a link on the forum).

Enjoy the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:24 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
JK you will love NC, we were there a couple of years ago!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM

167 posts, read 856,595 times
Good advice on the new dog tag with the email address and a second phone number. For the low cost of a new dog tag, it's worth it.

I always leave the leash on my dog now, partly because it's hard to reach over to the back seat to put in on him (before opening a door). And partly because he tends to stay put - he does not jump around from seat to seat, so not likely to get tangled. When I first got him, I had him in the crate in the back of the van, no leash on. I opened the back of the van, then door to the crate, and he immediately took off. It took me a few minutes to lure him back. Although he's mellowed out and is used to me now, I still keep him leashed in the van.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 PM

102 posts, read 187,760 times
i think the idea of putting a him in a crate in the vehicle or at least a harness, and maybe some sedation would be a good idea. also taking more and more "practice trips" short drives around the neighborhood giving him lots of treats and praise while doing so, so he gets the idea of car rides being a good thing.

in the states they have something called "pet airways", a company that flies pets in the plane (not underneath), there are no people just pets. and they supposedly take pretty good care of them throughout the trip and can even have someone pick up/deliver the pet at the destination i think. not sure if they have anything like that in canada though.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
You've gotten great advice. I don't know why, but every dog I've ever owned since my childhood LOVED, LOVED, LOVED riding in the car. Our late Yorkie was the worst, but seconds before the vehicle would come to a full stop (driveway, service station, etc.) she wanted OUT! NOW!!!!

My only suggestion is to stay in Canada. Check it on Mapquest or whatever mapping software you use, but my guess is it'll make for a shorter, quicker trip, and unless your dog has decided by that time that he loves long car rides, I'd keep it as short as possible.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Wdc girl, the "pet airways" seems good! Not sure if there's one in Canada. But since I'll be relatively close to the US border at the start and end points, I could maybe send him on that airline within the US. Only, he'll get there a lot quicker than me, so he either needs to leave later than me, or someone would have to watch him on the other end - neither one sounds too appealing. But the idea of "practice drives" with the crate and treats sounds like a good idea. I'll probably end up taking the dog with me in the van, so now is the time to start getting him ready for the big trip.

WyoNewk, most dogs LOVE car rides... but there are some who do not. Mine is one of them, unfortunately. I checked the mapping on Google Maps and it's actually about 8 hours quicker to go through the USA than through Canada. That's one of the reasons it's so appealing to me. But, if it's going to be a hassle with the border crossing with the dog and transporting my household belongings, I'll stay in Canada for the drive out west.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
................I really don't mean "to-beat-a dead-horse"................however I must repeat:
1/ Take the dog EVERY time you drive somewhere in these next 5 mionths...I use the command :" load" and give him a small goodie (treat) as soon as he loads.. if he stands in door way,...I use the word "back" and reward him when he backs up into the crate.
Believe me......if you CONSISTANTLY follow this procedure EVERY Time you go some place (have a favorite blanket in the crate and one of his toys).......he Will become so accustomed to the crate that your trip should go well. Dogs are creatures of Habit & untimately respond to repetition, kindness and "treats". Common Sense and "don't ever lose your patience with him........ A well trained Crate Trained Dog (both for Travel AND for circumstances in your house)....is a real pleasure to have. ALL of my Dogs since 1950 have been "Crate Trained" and it has made my life and time traveling with them a real fun & happy time.....both for me and the dog(s).

Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Montana Griz, thanks for the tip. When I first got this dog (my first dog), two years ago, he always went in his crate at night, if he misbehaved (only in the first few weeks - he's been just awesome since then), and I used to put him in his crate in the back of the van when I took him somewhere more than an hour's drive away. I eventually gave up on taking him in the van or a car. I thought he might eventually get used to it, but he didn't. However, I may have done it the wrong way. He's my first dog, so I'm still learning.

Sadly, his crate is collecting dust now. I've let him sleep on my bed, or the couch, etc. And when he comes in my van, or anyone else's car, he gets the back seat, sometimes the front seat. I think I've spoiled him. Like I mentioned, he won't get into the van himself, possibly because it's too high. It's actually quite high off the ground. For cars, he's usually pretty good about hopping in the back seat now if I say "OK, get in the car" - but that was certainly not the case when I first got him. He actually resisted if anyone picked him up and tried to put him in the car. Treats didn't work either. He was too nervous to care about treats. In the house, he'll eat treats all day though!

But, I think I should revisit the crate training and getting in and out of the van. He's matured a lot in the last two years and is such a good little boy most of the time. I just feel bad putting him in a crate - I don't want him to think I'm punishing him. When I used to put him in his crate at night, he always looked so sad and walked slowly and begrudgingly into his crate. I guess that's why I stopped using his crate. Unless I told him to go in it, he NEVER went in voluntarily. But, I hear dogs see the crate as their own, safe and secure environment. So, I should give it a try again. I've got 5 months to get him ready for this cross-country road trip! And I want him to enjoy it (as well as myself)!

Thanks again for all the great tips! It's really good to hear these stories and advice from experienced dog owners.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Crates. should be treated as a fun place for the dog to go, a place for sleep and refuge, a place to get a treat and a big cheer when he goes there when you tell him to.

Successful crate training NEVER includes sending a dog to his/her crate when they are bad.

Dogs that are comfortable in crates are safer in the car, safer in hotel rooms, and safer in new, strange places. Remember to train your dog to go in his crate on command, and if at all possible, exit the crate on demand. The exit part is especially important in cars, and even if your dog isn't in a crate, he/she should be trained to get in the car and out of the car ONLY on command. The simple rule allows us plenty of time to get put on the leash before he comes barreling out of the car and into traffic.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Have you considered Pet Air?

Pet Air| Pet Shipping | Animal Transporation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues