Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM

103 posts, read 379,831 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both places? I was wondering what your impression was as far as the differences/similarities. Which did you prefer?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
I have lived in both, and prefer California. The reason is that you can drive to more types of scenery for weekend trips, go skiing, fly to Utah, or Nevada, quick flight, going from FL is a major ordeal. The weather is better in California, not so humid and sticky. You don't have to deal with the giant cockroaches, snakes, alligators that you have in Florida.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,376,983 times
Lived in one (Florida), spent a lot of time in the other.

As far as I'm concerned, CA wins hands down. The cities are more diverse, as is the natural landscape. The climate suits me better, people are more laid back and there isn't as much corruption. Florida is very dangerous too for pedestrians and the mix of people can be quite toxic.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM

415 posts, read 2,328,223 times
I have lived in both, spent 12 years in Southern California, then 15 years in Clearwater Fl.

If I had to choose and cost was a non issue I would choose Southern California. Much better climate, many activities and good pay.Negative is, California is mush high for the cost for housing and taxes as Florida is. In Clearwater you can buy a nice 3 bdrm house for under 200,000 in California the same square footage will run closer to 600,000

Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 AM

18,611 posts, read 33,180,797 times
The old saying used to be, "If you shake the country, everything loose falls into California." Now it's Florida as the dream, at least away from winters.
California is so huge, and there are so many micro-worlds there. Florida is much smaller and has pretty much the same pluses and minuses in general. If it was only about weather (which it could be for many people) then California isn't as humid and is much more interesting in every way, no matter what part you go to. (Southern CA isn't the only place!)
If you're really into fishing/boating and coastal-style life, Florida would be best because anyone who asks about the two likely doesn't have unlimited budgets for coastal CA.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 PM

103 posts, read 379,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The old saying used to be, "If you shake the country, everything loose falls into California." Now it's Florida as the dream, at least away from winters.
California is so huge, and there are so many micro-worlds there. Florida is much smaller and has pretty much the same pluses and minuses in general. If it was only about weather (which it could be for many people) then California isn't as humid and is much more interesting in every way, no matter what part you go to. (Southern CA isn't the only place!)
If you're really into fishing/boating and coastal-style life, Florida would be best because anyone who asks about the two likely doesn't have unlimited budgets for coastal CA.
Thanks for the reply. And sorry for what is apparently the latest in a million Cali vs. Fla questions I think this thread just goes to show, again, that the "best" place is such an individual issue. I know I'm the weirdo on this one, but I absolutley love Florida summers. I can't take the endless sunny summer days of North Cal. ( high of 80, 0% chance of rain) every. single. day. Just kill me now. I'm an amateur stormchaser so Fla. in the summer, especially aug.-sept. is a dream. Everyone talks of "good" weather as if we were all in agreement as to what that was. In any case, it works to our advantage since the rental rates are cheaper in the summer. Basically it comes down to living in Santa Cruz, CA with summers in Fla. or living in Sarasota, Fl with three month-long visits back to Santa Cruz area. My heart is with Fla., but my husband is so against it and he has so many ties and great job here that the odds are against it. And you really don't want to drag someone kicking and screaming. By the way, I currently live in No. Cal, hence the weather rant.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 AM

18,611 posts, read 33,180,797 times
I'd have to agree about the Santa Cruz weather- what a pretty place, ocean, mountains. Too bad the guy I was visiting there was a sociopath, but I should have figured that out here in the East.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,345,122 times
Unless the plan is to retire and live off of savings, one of the lessons I've learned in life is not to move somewhere just for the weather.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,148,526 times
I also prefer the Florida weather. California is too dry. Yes it's nice, but the foggy cool weather of winter/spring also lasts for quite a while, and the rain is almost always cold. I like Florida's warm rains, thunderstorms and muggy hot weather. But I hate that Florida has all those darned no see'ums!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM

374 posts, read 507,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I also prefer the Florida weather. California is too dry. Yes it's nice, but the foggy cool weather of winter/spring also lasts for quite a while, and the rain is almost always cold. I like Florida's warm rains, thunderstorms and muggy hot weather. But I hate that Florida has all those darned no see'ums!

I hear Ca. has lots of no see ems too,as in bed bugs and other parasites. I'll take the gators and snakes anyday over liberals and welfare and drug gangs. Ca.has leeched out its working class now its broke and soon may be a dangerous place once the welfare stops coming in. Many people who worked left because their money was taken and given to ohers who refuse to work. One in a family will work and 10 others will collect welfare. I know because of the census,facts are not popular but they are informative.

I have a friend who moved from Ca. to Fl.. She went back to Ca.because the welfare check was much much higher as was other freebees. She made a family tradition out of begging,now her kids and grandkids are all on welfare too. Its a little harder to do that in the other states. I think Missouri is almost like Ca.only less money and harder lifestyle.

The reason homes cost so much is for high taxes,so the leaders there can keep supporting their voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues