Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:15 AM

5 posts, read 8,768 times

Advertisements

hey guys

Top Ten Moving Truck Tips!

I know this isn't really something that many people like to do too often (some never do), I have the (mis)fortune of performing this graceful ballet about once every year or so. I'm refering to packing all of my stuff into a moving van and driving to my new place of employment ala the military. I've been doing my research online and physically going to the different rental locations (Uhaul, Penske, Budget, etc) to inspect their current fleet and gather numbers and info. I'm going to attempt to write this list as objectively as possible and not try to cater to any specific company. I will note that I have moved many times in the past, and can confirm all of the numbers quoted herein.

First a little about my own situation (I will use it later as a point of reference): 4 bedroom house, Jeep (24 freeway mpg) and minivan (26 freeway mpg)

1. Take your time and do not rush! Even though that flying box is capable of 70mph or better, 60 or even 55mph will net you 10-40% better fuel economy.

2. Plan you load accordingly, get rid of the excess before you move and get only the lowest capacity truck large enough to carry your belongings properly.

3. Most moving trucks are optimally geared with 55mph as optimal crusing speed because above that the air resistance becomes much greater as proven in other posts. Again - flying box, not the Aerocivic (thank you in advance Basjoos)

4. With rising fuel prices, 2 mpg difference from 7 to 9 for a 2000 mile trip would cost you an additional $256. You would only be saving about an hour a day over four days (assuming you drive around 500 miles per day). Is that one hour of your time worth $64?

5. Always go for the same size truck in a diesel if you have the choice! The cost of the fuel tends to be about %15-20 more but the MPG return is 60-80% better.
(gasoline 26ft boxtruck = 5-7MPG) (diesel 26ft boxtruck = 8-12MPG)

6. Rent from newer fleets. Most of the newer moving vans are benefiting from aerodynamic upgrades from the trucking industry and chances are that the vehicle is in better running order.

7. Plan your overnight stays to leave only about 1/4 capacity in your fuel tank. Moving trucks are an easy target for gas thieves and traveling 0 miles on 50 gallons of fuel is really depressing (and your out $200)

8. If you are traveling with multiple vehicles (for example, I will have my Jeep on the trailer behind the moving truck and my wife will drive the minivan), the alternate driven vehicle should only contain the bare essentials for the occupants. The moving van or towed vehicle is far more efficiant at carrying all of your overnight bags, extra clothes, vehicle repair parts and your trip supply of water.

9. Check your tire pressure at least every morning, if you are going any great distance you will probably travel through different tempreture regions and the pressure may change from one location to the next. It's also a good idea to check at each rest stop, plus it gets you out of the car and loosens you up.

10. Consider transporting a small shipment of boxes from an individual or taking a second rider by checking sites like uship.com or the local craigslist. This can help offset your fuel costs and having company instead of driving alone and can make the drive smoother.

Good ecomodder driving habits like avoiding usage of the brakes, using your energy coming down one hill to propel you up the next (local speed limit, road safety and law enforcement provided) and keeping the nut adjusted will always pay you dividends but it really shows through when you are flying a box down the assphalt barely breaking out of the single digits on the MPG scale.

Please feel free to comment or add other things to my list. It's not all inclusive and is meant to be grown on. I didn't actually intend for there to be ten items, but it worked out that way and gave me a cool title!

thanks for reading hope it will hep someone

Jacob Hoppe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues