Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times

Advertisements

As Seniors, we have extensive medical records and moved when we retired. We keep our own medical records which includes doctors names and addresses, vaccinations, surgeries, specific illness, medications, etc. We started to do this because we got tired of constantly filing out forms with identical information.

If a doctor requests your medical records, usually there is no charge, but if you want a copy, you will be charged.

I assume you are fairly young (compared to me) so your medical issues are probably not very extensive. I would suggest you request the past year in any tests and write up your own medical record of shots, surgeries, etc. For your small child, unless there was a major illness, his/her vaccination record should surfice.

We travel quite frequently and always carry a copy of the medical record we drew up on the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
When I move cross country or cross town Iput my brief case in the car or vehicle Im traveling in which contains all my important papers and I take them into the hotel or motel room Im staying in as well . Yes you should always have medical records on you , your husband or wife whichever the case may be and kids and pets . Yes I have medical records on my pets as well in the brief case that way they are right at your hands if you need them . Good luck on your move and hope it goes smoothly .

Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
I just remembered that my (computer geek) sister-in-law put her records on a thumb drive that she carries on her key chain. It includes all her contacts and powers of attorney, too.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,369 times
Excellent idea your sil had Suzy!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,841 times
We have requested medical release forms from our current doctors, dermatologists, veterinarian, labs etc. as we visit each one for a final time. They suggested taking the forms to the new doctors and they'll fax our records to them.

I do think the thumb drive is an excellent idea~will consider that for future/new doctor visits.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,750,857 times
If you've had x-rays, dental or otherwise, it's a great idea to take them with you. Take the actual films.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
If you've had x-rays, dental or otherwise, it's a great idea to take them with you. Take the actual films.
If you had X-rays done in the last few years, they may have been done in digital format, so actual films may not exist. Also, most places do not want to let you have the originals. They may be able to make copies, but that is expensive. For the most part, copies of the report on an X-ray is sufficient. If an earlier study is needed to compare with a new one, the radiologist can request it. This is common with mammograms, for example.

So if you have a mammogram at a new place, when you make an appointment just tell them where the last one was done and the new center will request the older ones.

Of course, if X-rays are in digital format, you may be able to get them added to your thumb drive.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
We never got charged for medical records. Depends on the state or facility perhaps.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
I know it's a bit of 'grunt' work, but I'd suggest calling and asking your various doctors what their policies are. I had to change drs 4 years ago (my PMC dropped my plan) so I had to find a new one- that I've actually never had to use!- his policy was to send a summary or my chart with the basic info, but not the entire chart (which I suppose I can understand since I'd been with him for 20 years). He also said there was a per-page fee if I really wanted a hardcopy, he didn't suggest it. Also he has found that many people tend to lose or damage the files if they personally have them, so he really preferred to fax the summary to the new PMC.

When I spoke with my vet, they would do either. I'd rather carry it myself so that will be my option. Luckily my vet has switched to doing everything on the computer, so they just print (likely a summary) or will give me a disk (the other vet in the practice still hand writes). Next visit I will also get a copy of the file from the dentist. It's trickier with the oncologist because that has to be a much smoother and uninterrupted situation, but I receive a copy of every test result when they do one, so I already have a folder for that.

So.. call your drs and find out what their policy is. Sometimes they just don't want to release it to the patient because of fear of losing the file. and it will likely be a summary not the full thing.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 AM

250 posts, read 910,891 times
We move a lot as a military family. I have copies of all of our medical records, educational records etc. It's important to get all copies of both. By law you are entitled to copies...simply go in, ask for copies and sign the release form (release them to yourself). Some places have a fee for copies but it's usually minimal. Take all important records with you, any personal info/med records/educational records/insurance papers...all of that stuff. There are nice file folder portable bins at office depot/staples that helps organize it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues