Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,488,603 times

Advertisements

Stay alert in Mississippi:

Police: Phony officer could be killing Mississippi drivers - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM

448 posts, read 849,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Wow, thanks for the heads up

Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM

Default Update on travel

Well we arrived in Garner, NC around 9:00 pm last night. It was an interesting ride to say the least. On the last day, we ran out of room on the U-Haul. Thank God a friend was helping us and she made trips to the Good Will. We got a late start on the road. We did not leave the Phoenix area until after 8:00 PM. We did not arrive into El Paso until 5:00AM.

Overall the route worked out fine. We stayed in La Quinta's the entire time. I had booked them ahead of time. It is strange how different they could be considering they are all the same brand name.

The La Quinta in El Paso was pretty nice. It had a refrigerator and a microwave. They were great about the extra late arrival, although, they did double book me but corrected before we left. They even called ahead and let the next hotel that we were coming.

The La Quinta in Fort Worth, was probably the nicest but did not have a microwave or refrigerator which was not a biggie. The drive from Forth Worth to Jackson, MS was terrible. To make the trip interesting, my air conditioning decided it was bi-polar and would only work sporadically. It was so hot in the car, that I decided to take the cat out of the carrier in the back and put him in the front area by my seat. For awhile there, I had thought we were in big trouble with the animals. When we were in Ft Worth we brought the car to a Meineke and they could not figure out what was wrong. He said he would need an additional two to four hours and we decided to suffer through. I have a warranty on the car, I will deal with it now that we are here in NC.

The La Quinta in Jackson, MS was a dump. It was more like a motel rather than a hotel. The front desk was behind a bolted door and they had a cop that stayed on premises. The room was clean but very old and outdated.

The La Quinta in Nocross, GA was nice. We even got there early enough to enjoy the pool.

Overall, the ride was good. We traveled between 6 to 8 hours per day. We really did not hit much traffic except when it came to Dallas. Most of the time we avoided rush hour but we got delayed due to bringing the car in for service. The animals handed the ride remarkably well, especially with no air. My son spent most of the time either reading, sleeping, or playing his Nintendo DS.

I am glad we are finally here.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 PM

593 posts, read 1,409,404 times
Glad to see you arrived safely, thanks for the update, I like it when people update their posts after they make their move.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,021,038 times
Congratulations on your successful move !!! Hope the stuff you left at the Goodwill won't be missed. Also hope the cat is not too mad at you and that you are enjoying some cooler weather. Personally, I cannot wait to get out of here. NC is also my destination. Happy days are ahead for you.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM

19,396 posts, read 27,693,925 times
Welcome to NC. As far as cooler weather - we thought WE were the evildoers who brought the record breaking 105+ temperatures with us from AZ. Now I know it was you guys!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Congratulations on your successful move !!! Hope the stuff you left at the Goodwill won't be missed. Also hope the cat is not too mad at you and that you are enjoying some cooler weather. Personally, I cannot wait to get out of here. NC is also my destination. Happy days are ahead for you.

The cat actually seemed to be so happy to be in the front, I was surprised he just sat there. He is settling just fine, the dog on the other hand, is slowly coming around. I packed a bunch of food enough for the trip and left the rest in the U-Haul, he ate maybe an 1/4 of what he normally would. I am sure eventually he will be back to normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Glad to see you arrived safely, thanks for the update, I like it when people update their posts after they make their move.
I figured it would be helpful for someone who is also making the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Welcome to NC. As far as cooler weather - we thought WE were the evildoers who brought the record breaking 105+ temperatures with us from AZ. Now I know it was you guys!

Tell me about it, I do have to say that there is a difference between 105 here and 105 in AZ

Old 07-03-2012, 03:18 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,699,652 times
Glad to hear you made it safely to NC, it's a wonderful state with much to see and do! PHXBarb, I didn't know you were vacating the valley as well? What's with all the defections?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Glad to hear you made it safely to NC, it's a wonderful state with much to see and do! PHXBarb, I didn't know you were vacating the valley as well? What's with all the defections?
I moved here for two major reasons, my husband tried AZ for three years, moved to AZ from NC for me and absolutely hated it. When we married in October, I knew we would relocate. I waited to finish out my contract, as well as custody issues. Living in the same state as your spouse definitely has its benefits and second, majority of my family is in NY but it is so darn expensive, so it was nice to be closer to them.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,275,259 times
Glad you had a good trip! Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues