Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM

51 posts, read 94,428 times

Advertisements

Ive always encouraged my kids to explore the world. And I try and visit 1 place a year Ive never been before. If you were in the military, you have no idea where you will end up, until they tell you.
I left Florida in the 70's and ended up in Hawaii (can't get any further than that, and still be in the US)
Being an only child I know it was hard on my mother, but Its big world out there and I wanna see as much of it as I can. I came back to Fl, raised my kids and now their going everywhere. My son went to collage in the UK (one of only 2 students from the US). My daughter just moved to Phoenix Az last month, coming from Reno, Denver and Orlando. Im headed to Phoenix for visit next month, maybe I'll move there. I know I've been back in Fl too long. To the point where I'm becoming unhappy. And when I'm unhappy, It's time to make a move.

My advice: Go For it!!

You only live once, and you cant live for other people, you can only live for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
yesterday, I was telling my dad I got rejected for a job that would have required me to move to phoenix had I gotten selected. I have been out of school for five years with a bachelors in marketing and can't find a job, especially where I live in indiana (my fam does not live here. I moved here originally for a relationship) so im looking wherever I can, plus I wanna move anyway. My dad was happy I didn't get that job because he says I shouldn't go where I have no family or don't know anyone else living there. I actually have had alot of people tell me this. I don't get why people think that something is wrong with you if you want to move to a new city where you don't know anyone. I would think since I speak english and people in the other cities speak english, I might manage to make friends. I could be wrong, though.

I grew up in alabama so my parents and many cousins still live there. I have family in several other states but not where I really wanna live (I wanna live on the west coast...seattle, portland, maybe san fran/north cal top choices).. everybody ,especially my family, thinks I should move back to alabama or a state close to it so that I am close to home. I have had people tell me that moving away from family is dumb or that I shouldn't do it. or that if I go somewhere where I know no one I will be miserable.

I get so much crap from family when I say something about moving to a city that's not near them. Even ever since I have lived up here in indiana, they are always pressuring me to move close to them and I hate going to family reunions because people always give me crap about living here.

I will be 30 this year and im tired of everyone telling me how to live. I know I cant stop it but I wish I could deal with it better. I want to move to where I wanna be before life passes me by and I can't do it. I'm feeling hopeless , though, because I wonder if I am wrong for wanting to live away from family plus saving money for a move is sooo hard right now cause I don't make that much..

sorry for the long post
So you're 30, are still looking for a job, and are stuck in a place because you moved there for sex?

Sounds to me like maybe you should start listening to people who are trying to help you.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM

21 posts, read 24,383 times
Yes what house4kids said is correct, internet makes people be connected always even when we are close!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM

312 posts, read 797,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
yesterday, I was telling my dad I got rejected for a job that would have required me to move to phoenix had I gotten selected. I have been out of school for five years with a bachelors in marketing and can't find a job, especially where I live in indiana (my fam does not live here. I moved here originally for a relationship) so im looking wherever I can, plus I wanna move anyway. My dad was happy I didn't get that job because he says I shouldn't go where I have no family or don't know anyone else living there. I actually have had alot of people tell me this. I don't get why people think that something is wrong with you if you want to move to a new city where you don't know anyone. I would think since I speak english and people in the other cities speak english, I might manage to make friends. I could be wrong, though.

I grew up in alabama so my parents and many cousins still live there. I have family in several other states but not where I really wanna live (I wanna live on the west coast...seattle, portland, maybe san fran/north cal top choices).. everybody ,especially my family, thinks I should move back to alabama or a state close to it so that I am close to home. I have had people tell me that moving away from family is dumb or that I shouldn't do it. or that if I go somewhere where I know no one I will be miserable.

I get so much crap from family when I say something about moving to a city that's not near them. Even ever since I have lived up here in indiana, they are always pressuring me to move close to them and I hate going to family reunions because people always give me crap about living here.

I will be 30 this year and im tired of everyone telling me how to live. I know I cant stop it but I wish I could deal with it better. I want to move to where I wanna be before life passes me by and I can't do it. I'm feeling hopeless , though, because I wonder if I am wrong for wanting to live away from family plus saving money for a move is sooo hard right now cause I don't make that much..

sorry for the long post
Absolutely do NOT feel guilty for wanting to live your life. On YOUR terms. EVER.

If a situation does not work out, it is not just your right but your RESPONSIBILITY to make a change.

If your family cannot accept that, then you need to re-evaluate your relationship with your loved ones and how close you wish to remain with them. I'm not kidding.

I'm not saying don't love them - but you ARE thirty years of age. You are no longer under their direct authority or care.

Do your research on cities and towns all over this nation. These forums are a great place to start. This website is one of the best resources out there.

Do your research on your skills and what kind of jobs are available for you. I haven't read this whole thread but your options are a lot better in different places depending on what kind of education you have and what work experience you bring.

Many others will strongly disagree, but I would tell you that if it's totally, utterly impossible to save a TON of money, just find out how much a Greyhound ticket costs and freakin' GO.

(but have at least a couple of hundred on a prepaid debit card.)

If you'd rather drive, find out how much it costs for hotel, food, gas, etc, along the way (eat at supermarkets rather than Denny's) and make sure your car is in good working order.

Check out my other threads. DO NOT pay attention to naysayers other than to hear their side of the story. If you believe in a "god" (I don't) maybe he/she wants you to move and will look out for you as you go!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM

28 posts, read 52,989 times
the old adage: follow your heart ....or you will be stuck in a place you hate- like me!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:21 PM

13 posts, read 17,400 times
To 'Introspective 1' Observations: you don't owe any one an apology for a long post...you didn't do anything wrong (and that's what apologies are for)... we don't have to read a long post if we don't want too:-) Try not to blame or judge your family too harshly because they want you near them, it's probably a sign of how much they care for you more than an indication that they aren't supportive. It takes a lot of courage and faith to step aside and be supportive rather than trying to 'fix' things for others. Perhaps some of you reluctance to 'just do it' is fear of success - if you do this and are successful, then where does that place you in the family... Truth is, it doesn't change your place at all - you will still be the person you are, and maybe happier - and when they see your happinesss how can that not have a positive impact. Take a close look too at 'guilt'. Do you feel guilty for considering to leave your family? Chances are you probably don't need to. Maybe you are assuming responsibility for the feelings of your family and how they might feel when you leave (and matbe struggle to get established)... You can't be responsible for how they feel...and maybe your leaving will help others in the family see that it is possible.

Bottom line, if you believe leaving is the truest way to a fuller life, then go for it trusting that your family will love you even when they don't agree with you.

Best of luck!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
So you're 30, are still looking for a job, and are stuck in a place because you moved there for sex?

Sounds to me like maybe you should start listening to people who are trying to help you.
you read none of my post. I moved for a RELATIONSHIP, I am not 30 yet but close to it...just a few months left...and I have a job just not in my degree field.

Maybe you should actually read a person's posts before trying to call them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues