Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM

231 posts, read 713,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
...says the guy who can't afford to move his crap across the country.
MOD CUT----off topic, personal attack...
Again, it's about spending the least amount possible, whatever that sum might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Her is my suggestion:

Rent an suv/small moving van and fit whatever you can in it, including the cats. Then get some larger boxes (like 30" x 35") and pack whatever you can/want into them, but not totaling over $500 in shipping cost via UPS.

The rest of the stuff, give three days to sell it on Craigslist, then donate/junk the rest. Every one always overestimates how much their stuff is worth (I have seen people pay more to move an IKEA table than it even cost to buy new), unless it is some special items, the stuff is not worth the cost to move it.

How you get there.......reserve a moving van for a one way moving trip. From where you are now, or a location where a bus drops you, rent a one way car rental to go where the moving van is. You may have a brief problem of a distance between the two, but I have done something similar and the rental car place always has given me a short ride. If this is not possible, find a number of a cab company in advance so you are not at a lost when are ready to go from the rental center to the moving van.

Depending where you are, you may need to adjust this plan a little, so for example, go to a larger town for the moving van and rental drop off instead of a place where a moving van would be closer.
I didn't mention it earlier, but pretty much everything I need to move now is large. I've already moved the few small items I need. I appreciate the suggestions about selling, etc. but I'm afraid you're making too many assumptions. The only option here is to move it. If anything can be left behind, then it will be. As I said, this is more than $60k worth of furniture and electronics that need to be moved, not cheap, pressboard tables and chairs. This is furniture I hope to keep for as long as possible, not something that was on sale at Big Lots.
Your suggestion brings in another possibility to be considered - rental car. I'll need to brainstorm on that one for a bit.
Thanks!

Last edited by jasper12; 06-29-2012 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: edit, TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
There is a possibility that hiring movers, though more money, will be the most efficient way. I think you should go and get some quotes from some movers, then go from there. Sometimes the extra few hundred will seem like it worth it by the time you go through all the other hassles of moving yourself.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is a possibility that hiring movers, though more money, will be the most efficient way. I think you should go and get some quotes from some movers, then go from there. Sometimes the extra few hundred will seem like it worth it by the time you go through all the other hassles of moving yourself.
Yep, that's a possibility.
The point of coming here was to see if there's anything I've missed that's a more attractive option.

Cheapest mover quotes so far have been around $1500.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM

331 posts, read 603,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
I have moved from one state to another, but most of my possessions are still back home.
I've been racking my brain about how best to move them to my new location.

Basically, how would you suggest doing this?
Easiest option seems to be to hire movers to load truck, transport and unload ($$$$$).
Can anyone think of cheaper options? If I rent a truck one-way from old home to new, then I need to find a way to get back there cheaply. Greyhound is more than $100 one-way, as is flying or train, and then I'd still need to find a way to get around town when I reach there (to pick up moving truck, etc.). Megabus goes within only 90 miles of my destination.
I don't have anyone that can drive my car for me if I drive there and then drive truck back.

I feel as though there's a simple solution that I'm missing.

To make matters even more difficult, I have 2 cats that I might like to bring with me on the return trip. Worst case, I can schedule a separate car trip for that, though.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

I have moved states quite a few times, and it can be very stressful and hectic. esp for your first time. I'd suggest getting someone to watch your cats for you, cats don't travel well and are happy with consistency and comfort. The internet is wonderful not only for fun things like forums ( ) research different companies, for small trucks or even ones that can be pulled behind your vehicle. Big name companies compete on quotes, smaller business may be more personable to your situation. I also suggest going through and seeing what is are "MUST keep items" and what items would it be better to scratch and get new. Often times, furniture (if you've had it more than a few years, and it's not a family item) is cheaper, less stress, and to save space to donate or give away and buy new ie: dining room table, chairs.

You may also want to check with your comapny and see if they will help with the cost, since you moved for the job, many companies will at least help out if they are the reason you relocated.

Best wishes to you.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbOfMemphisTN View Post
I have moved states quite a few times, and it can be very stressful and hectic. esp for your first time. I'd suggest getting someone to watch your cats for you, cats don't travel well and are happy with consistency and comfort. The internet is wonderful not only for fun things like forums ( ) research different companies, for small trucks or even ones that can be pulled behind your vehicle. Big name companies compete on quotes, smaller business may be more personable to your situation. I also suggest going through and seeing what is are "MUST keep items" and what items would it be better to scratch and get new. Often times, furniture (if you've had it more than a few years, and it's not a family item) is cheaper, less stress, and to save space to donate or give away and buy new ie: dining room table, chairs.

You may also want to check with your comapny and see if they will help with the cost, since you moved for the job, many companies will at least help out if they are the reason you relocated.

Best wishes to you.
I would never suggest someone leave their cats behind because they don't travel well. They generally don't, but pets are not disposible. It is not okay, in my book, to dump them just because you are moving. I will be moving cross country with 2 dogs and 2 cats. There is no other option. They are my responsibility and they go where I do. There are many precautions that can be taken to make the trip as easy as possible for them.

I don't care about my furniture and whatnot, but pets are MUST KEEP items.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I would never suggest someone leave their cats behind because they don't travel well. They generally don't, but pets are not disposible. It is not okay, in my book, to dump them just because you are moving. I will be moving cross country with 2 dogs and 2 cats. There is no other option. They are my responsibility and they go where I do. There are many precautions that can be taken to make the trip as easy as possible for them.

I don't care about my furniture and whatnot, but pets are MUST KEEP items.
Yeah... That's certainly not an option, to leave them behind. Just a matter of when and how. Like my furniture, they're being cared for until I'm able to relocate them.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Everyone be nice. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
This may be too expensive for you but I will just add how I plan to do it. I weighed all the options and decided that taking my stuff would be cheaper than trying to replace it. And renting an apartment in the new city before I move would be cheaper than moving my stuff to storage and then moving it again if I were to look for a place after I moved.

So I plan to fly to my intended destination, stay with a friend for a week, find an apartment and then go back to where I live now and start packing. I will be hiring movers. My cat will travel back with me on the plane.

This isn't the cheapest way to go but it's the best option for me. I have purposely put my move off until I saved up enough to do it this way. For me, it's the least stressful.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:20 PM

326 posts, read 949,644 times
When you're trying to do this sort of thing on your own it's especially tough. I grew up in a family that owned a moving and storage company and I worked in the office a bit. I cannot tell you how many times people said to me that hiring a mover was the best decision they made for moving. Many had done it themselves in the past. By the time you figure out and pay for whatever logistics you figure out, the cost of just biting the bullet and hiring a professional probably won't be that much more expensive. As an added bonus an accredited mover will be fully insured so if anything should happen to any of your stuff, you're covered.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Yep, that's a possibility.
The point of coming here was to see if there's anything I've missed that's a more attractive option.

Cheapest mover quotes so far have been around $1500.

Thanks.
how far is your move? 1-2 states, or across the US? When we moved from WI to SC we rented the biggest Uhaul and drove down (along with our other vehicle/boat and pet). Was cheaper for us then hiring a moving company, considering we had to drive down anyways. We used hired help to load/unload as well. While we gave away some of our furniture, this was a relocation by choice so we were not going to give off a household full of goods to save a grand or two in moving costs. I drove truck before so it wasnt a big deal for us, cant say the same for others. I asked on distance in case an overnight was needed to add on for expenses and time.

Anyhow you mention $1500 for a mover, guess add in your travel cost back home to "direct them", and then either fly or drive back with your cats to get a full budget total. Then compare that to just traveling back home and then driving a truck yourself to your new location. But if you have that much value in goods, you are not going to get much selling some used and the cost to replace is high so (imo) I dont see dumping it all as a reasonable consideration.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues