Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:54 AM

55 posts, read 137,493 times

Advertisements

I hired 'Simple moving labor' to come load me, then unload me when we get to our arrival.

What I don't know is if most people tip these guys, and if so, how much.

it's a bit expensive (read, not budgeted) to hire guys just to load boxes, but i had no choice.

it's going to cost me $300 for 2 guys @ 2 hours.

Do most people tip these guys? if so how much is standard?

honestly? i have to pay another $260 to unload and again since this wasn't budgeted that's almost $600.

I can't afford to tip them, but i also can't feel good about stiffing them if it's standard to tip.

can someone tat knows help a bit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:33 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I did a quick Google of your request and people in the industry say that 5% is standard. For a move around $600., that would mean that $15. each for two men would be acceptable.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Jeeze, let me punish myself for not doing it
Let me google that for you

Thank you very much, and I'm glad I asked. i assumed much more

Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 AM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
I hired 'Simple moving labor' to come load me, then unload me when we get to our arrival.

What I don't know is if most people tip these guys, and if so, how much.
it's a bit expensive (read, not budgeted) to hire guys just to load boxes, but i had no choice.
it's going to cost me $300 for 2 guys @ 2 hours.
Do most people tip these guys? if so how much is standard?
honestly? i have to pay another $260 to unload and again since this wasn't budgeted that's almost $600.
I can't afford to tip them, but i also can't feel good about stiffing them if it's standard to tip.
can someone tat knows help a bit?

I guess people do tip them, but I don't see why. You're paying $75/hour for low-skill labor. The chances are that they will do nothing special for you in terms of above-and-beyond customer service. You won't see them again, so you're not hoping to pave the way for a relationship. I wouldn't.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:28 AM

I see your point, believe me, but as a guy that worked his way through college bartending I can understand too.

I guess I look at it this way. if I drop 20 to each of them (think that's around 13%), that 20 bucks is probably going to mean more to them than the 40 i save by not tipping.

i guess each has their own way of thinking. i can completely understand your point and you're not wrong. to me i guess hell i'm already at $5000. $40 is pretty minimal

Old 09-04-2016, 02:16 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
I recently made a small full service move 2 guys and a truck for 2hrs at $75/hr. Half of what you're paying at their base rate so that seems high to begin with. Especially since my guys brought a truck and drove it too. I gave each guy a $20 as tip. In the Portland metro area so not a cheap place either.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:19 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Give them $20- $25 each.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:16 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I did a quick Google of your request and people in the industry say that 5% is standard.

Five percent sounds reasonable for a local move, but what happens in an interstate move (like we are doing soon), where there'll probably be different people loading and unloading?

Old 09-04-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Five percent sounds reasonable for a local move, but what happens in an interstate move (like we are doing soon), where there'll probably be different people loading and unloading?
that's what's happening to me, but it would still be the same, 5% of half of the total is still going to be the same as the full

5% of 250 is $12.50
5% of 500 is $25.00

so the math still works.

HOWEVER, in my case I'm treating mine as two stand alone deals. because loading for me costs $100 more than unloading. ( i'm driving 1300 miles to a large city from a small city) I spose it's due to traffic etc. to get to the loading site (not in a metro area). So i'm going to give a tip based on $300 to load, then when I get there another based on $193 to unload. Although now that I think about it, that doesn't make a lot of sense. they're doing the same work, so I should be tipping them on that premise, not the price

Old 09-04-2016, 09:06 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I did a quick Google of your request and people in the industry say that 5% is standard. For a move around $600., that would mean that $15. each for two men would be acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I guess people do tip them, but I don't see why. You're paying $75/hour for low-skill labor. The chances are that they will do nothing special for you in terms of above-and-beyond customer service. You won't see them again, so you're not hoping to pave the way for a relationship. I wouldn't.
Quote:
I see your point, believe me, but as a guy that worked his way through college bartending I can understand too.

I guess I look at it this way. if I drop 20 to each of them (think that's around 13%), that 20 bucks is probably going to mean more to them than the 40 i save by not tipping.

i guess each has their own way of thinking. i can completely understand your point and you're not wrong. to me i guess hell i'm already at $5000. $40 is pretty minimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I recently made a small full service move 2 guys and a truck for 2hrs at $75/hr. Half of what you're paying at their base rate so that seems high to begin with. Especially since my guys brought a truck and drove it too. I gave each guy a $20 as tip. In the Portland metro area so not a cheap place either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Give them $20- $25 each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Quote:
that's what's happening to me, but it would still be the same, 5% of half of the total is still going to be the same as the full

5% of 250 is $12.50
5% of 500 is $25.00

so the math still works.

HOWEVER, in my case I'm treating mine as two stand alone deals. because loading for me costs $100 more than unloading. ( i'm driving 1300 miles to a large city from a small city) I spose it's due to traffic etc. to get to the loading site (not in a metro area). So i'm going to give a tip based on $300 to load, then when I get there another based on $193 to unload. Although now that I think about it, that doesn't make a lot of sense. they're doing the same work, so I should be tipping them on that premise, not the price
I also did a quick search, It said for 2 movers with there own truck it should cost between $90-$120 an hour. If its just 2 movers with no truck, and just labor, it should be about $60-$80 an hour (for both, not a piece). Not sure why you needed to use these guys, (For this price this would be my last choice), and I certainly wouldn't tip.

And heres a few I found in less than a minute on craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/lbs/5762372934.html
$60 an hour 2 movers + 1 time gas fee
$65 an hour 3 movers + 1 time gas fee
$85 an hour 4 movers + 1 time gas fee

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/lbs/5756698732.html
$40/hour, 1 hour minimum, NO hidden fees!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/lbs/5733151357.html
$40 minimum. . .
$10 per hour and 50 cents a mile. .

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/lbs/5746900735.html
$20.00 per hour with two hour minimum.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/lbs/5764963202.html
2 men +Fully equipped truck 34.99 a hour
3 men +Fully equipped truck 49.99a hour
4 men +Fully equipped truck 69.99 a hour

Searched a little more,
OP have you seen how most of there yelp reviews are really poor?

That company is supposedly based out of Bedford, If that's where you are, heres a quick craigslist one that seems much more reasonable.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/lbs/5748197126.html
2 Movers + 2 Hours + Moving Truck only = $198!

Last edited by adriver; 09-04-2016 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues