Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get ideas for when I am ready to move, so I appreciate any help.

I've already decided that with the exception of clothes and collectibles, I am getting rid of everything and buying when I get to my destination. I have thought about shipping what I can (depending on the cost vs. me taking it or getting a moving truck) to my father's down there. My problem is I have 2 piece of furniture that I DO want to take with me - a small curio cabinet that belonged to my grandparents and teh bureau they gave to my brother when he was born and later passed on to me.

What would be the best way to move those? I hate to get a huge moving van/company, but I want those items. Depending on moving costs (space, weight, etc.), it would probably make sense to ship my clothes along with the furniture. Unless there is another way to move the 2 pieces only of furniture.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM

To clarify - I will pack what I can in my car. That will be some clothes and personal items, and all collectibles. Everything else will get shipped/moved in a van. But I won't have room in the backseat as I'll have my cats with me. Only what my trunk can fit.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM

326 posts, read 949,803 times
Call local moving companies and tell them you only have a couple of items. If they have a move going that way and can fit your stuff on the truck they will.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Check out UShip. You list your items and movers going to your destination bid on your business. I sent a baby grand piano up the east coast using this service at a very reasonable price.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM

Thank you!

I seem to VERY vaguely remember my unlce doing this with something going to my cousin in FL, but I thought they had found some local person who happened to be driving there. I was only 12, so I didn't pay much attention. LOL

Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,964 times
This is the busiest period all year in the moving industry. Most full service movers have implemented weight minimums that range from 2100 - 5000 lbs.

Your most affordable options are to either rent a small trailer from U-Haul and tow the items down behind your car, or have the two pieces boxed and moved to destination via motor freight.

Personally I would recommend against using some the popular reverse auction freight boards like uShip because many of the carriers indexed there aren't licensed to handle shipping household goods interstate. Your stuff could end up in an impound yard or on the side of the street somewhere.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:56 AM

RIKKI - I'm not looking to move *right* yet - any ideas when a slower period is? Besides winter? Is fall a bit better time?

I'm not sure I can tow anything on my car. I did think about driving a Uhaul and towing my car, but I'm not crazy about driving a Uhaul. Plus, does a Uhaul have enough room up front for 2 people plus 2 cat carriers? In my car, the carriers would be buckled in, in the back seat.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

Normally peak season in the moving industry ends in August, but this year is different because the real estate market is beginning to recover.

Even then, most interstate movers will only drop their off-season weight minimum to 1000 lbs. You only have couple of hundreds pound in both furniture pieces.

You need to rent at least a 16' truck to tow a car and then the combine length of the two vehicles will approach 30' long.

A 4'x7' uHaul utility trailer only weighs 240 lbs. and can be towed by most cars if not overloaded

U-Haul: Equipment specs

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 AM

I wonder if Pods is an option with such little stuff. I'll have to look into that. I know my dad cleaned out his storage unit here, packed it into a Pods and had it shipped down south.

I need to find out of you can put furniture in one.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM

Again, you're putting 200 lbs in a 3000 lbs box. Better to us a D type corrugated shipping container if you want to use motor freight to transport your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues