Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 09:34 AM

17 posts, read 19,961 times

Advertisements

Hey all...I will be moving on July 14th, using my Jeep to tow my car from Michigan to Southern California.

Which route is best to take during summer months?

I know the I40 gets really hot, but its more of a straight shot.

Or the I70, It'll be cooler, but i'm worried about towing, and once I hit denver, going through the Rocky's wont be fun. And i want to avoid as much strain on my jeep as possible.

Anyone's input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Looking at Google Maps from Detroit to LA shows I-80 to Salt Lake, then I-15 to LA as being 50 miles shorter than the I-40 route. I-80 is what cross-country truckers use to avoid I-70 thru Colorado

Old 06-30-2012, 10:23 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
If you went I-40 it would be about 50 miles further than going I-80.
If you slow down a little and let the other traffic pass you
it will be easier on you vechile.
You don't have to drive the speed limit, and it will be easier on fuel.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchef00 View Post
...using my Jeep to tow my car from Michigan to Southern California.
Anyone's input?
Sure. Even without the tow that will be a miserable drive in a Jeep.
With it? You'll be saying things like "maybe I should have just sold the Jeep and drove the car" afterall.

Oh yeah... sell the Jeep and drive the car.
Maybe even sell both and fly; then buy in CA once you're settled.

And yeah, I-80 west to Salt Lake, then I-15 S outh to LA is the correct path.
Do the Provo to Barstow section at night.
Don't stop in Vegas.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Forget I-70 west of Denver unless you just LIKE the mountains and steep downgrades.

I-80 is OK as far I-15 IF you don't go over Parley's Summit into Salt Lake City. Take I-84 west to I-15 south and you'll avoid that downgrade. You'll still have some 3 or 4 mile downgrades, and some upgrades too, but it's nothing to worry about because they're not too steep and are mostly straight.

HOWEVER...once you get on I-15, you've got several long downgrades to worry about. The first one is coming down the Virgin River canyon into Nevada. It's 5 or 6 miles of 6 % grade. Next, you have to climb up Mountain Springs pass just after you cross over into California and it's a pretty good haul. Since it's desert, there's a real possibility of overheating. After that, you've got 19 miles of 5% grade going down into Baker, CA. Yes, that's right....19 miles. If you don't know what you're doing, you can get yourself into a pickle there. Then, you cross the high Mojave Desert and it'll be hotter than blazes and dry as a popcorn fart. The traffic will be murder if you happen to leave Vegas on a Sunday afternoon and it commonly just comes to a stop in several places, most notably at the California Agriculture inspection station just before Yermo, CA. After you navigate the growing urban area between Barstow and Apple Valley, you've got to go down Cajon Pass, which is roughly 5 miles of 6% grade, then another 5 or 6 miles of 4-5% grade. You'll think you're off the mountain when you go past the California weigh station, but you're not, so don't get in a hurry until you reach the I-215 split.

If you go I-40, you're not out of the woods. There's a long canyon going down into Albuquerque, NM, but it's not very steep. However, it is usually crawling with speed cops, so watch yourself. Then, there's a pretty substantial downgrade of about 5% between Williams and Ash Fork, AZ, but you should be OK if you just slow down. After that, it's generally downhill to Kingman, AZ and some of the downgrades can fool you. Use caution. Once you cross over into California, you've got to climb a steep and long upgrade out of Needles, CA where overheating will again be a problem. However, there's a way around that if you'd like, but it involves several miles of lonely, two-lane road and some low water crossings. It's no big deal because I used to go that way in an 18 wheeler all the time and if I can make it with a big truck, you can make it with a jeep hauling a car. From there on, it's high desert and hot, with few services until you reach the Barstow vicinity where you'll have to get on I-15 south and still go down Cajon Pass.

Even if you go all the way down to I-10, you've still got a very long 5% downgrade off Chiricaco Summit into Palm Springs and a couple more before you get into the LA basin.

There...don't you feel better now? LOL

Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
If you're planning your 2300 mile long trip for mid-July, head south and take the route with the least number of inclines to avoid cooking the engine and burning up the brakes on your Jeep. Especially if you're using one or both vehicles to transport other passengers and/or "stuff"!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM

448 posts, read 851,234 times
We just went from AZ to NC and did the southern route. It is definitely easier on the vehicle due to less hills and mountains. However, our big thing was our air conditioning decided not to work when we on our way, it would work and then not work. It definitely made the trip through Texas miserable. Oh my goodness, was that hot.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalchef00 View Post
Hey all...I will be moving on July 14th, using my Jeep to tow my car from Michigan to Southern California.

Which route is best to take during summer months?

I know the I40 gets really hot, but its more of a straight shot.

Or the I70, It'll be cooler, but i'm worried about towing, and once I hit denver, going through the Rocky's wont be fun. And i want to avoid as much strain on my jeep as possible.

Anyone's input?
My first question is, "What kind of Jeep, and what kind of car?"

I've got an older Grand Cherokee - the heaviest of the modern Jeeps - and have towed both a Ford Focus, and a Pontiac Bonneville. It had plenty of power to tow both, but towing the Bonneville was a nightmare. I would not have wanted to tow either of them cross-country.

That said, my advice would be to take the northern route in the summer. Also, set the cruise on 60 mph & be good to your Jeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues