Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

Get a real job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylea View Post
I'm a she and thank you! I wanted some insight like this. How did you make the big move? Where you accepted into a university out there or...

I moved far away when I was ~19. It was an awesome experience but it was far too much money. Move to a different city, save your money and then take that money you saved to do traveling around the world.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Regularly smoking pot does nothing good for one's motivation or attention span. I have nothing against it per se, but OP is talking about regularly smoking to the point where she is planning when to stop in case of a drug test. That doesn't sound like she's motivated right now. Also, remember if you're living with roommates or in a dorm room or even in your own studio apartment in someone's house or building, you likely cannot be smoking pot near other people. How do you do it in the basement there?
Believe me, I'm from the late 1960s-early 1970s and am not a prude. I've just seen what regular pot smoking can do to people when they're not even paying attention.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Ditto, brightdoglover. Another baby boomer here, confirming all you wrote about pot use. I've seen too many of my (formerly) bright acquaintances struggling with memory loss, asking others to repeat simple things because they just can't grasp the concepts such as relationships of people outside of the immediate family (i.e. "removed" cousins), geographic directions, implications of everyday occurances and conversations - they've lost the ability to perceive and understand the complex and the subtle without a great deal of concentration and effort. It's not Alzheimer's - it's something else entirely, and today's marijuana is much, much stronger than that of the late 60s and 70s.

OP, you don't want to be like that in another thirty or forty years. And those years will pass much, much more quickly than you can ever imagine at age nineteen...so cut out the pot use, asap. Find something else to do instead when you feel the craving, avoid triggers, change your routines, do whatever you must, but drop the pot.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. I made an account just to ask this question (lol).
As of right now I live in Toledo. I hate Toledo and everything about this godforsaken city. I can honestly say there's nothing keeping me here. My family hates me, I have no close friends or relatives other than my parents. I feel as though if I stay in Toledo, hell, Ohio in general I'm going to be working at target sitting in my parents basement smoking weed for the rest of my life.

I'm 19, I graduated high school last year but never went to college. My marks were poop so I didn't take the time to apply anywhere and just focused on working. I'm bored with working now, I'm bored with everything here because everything is just so routine. I really want to move away and goto community college, get a part time job and a small apartment and work my way up from there but I know it's easier said then done. As much as it'd be nice to have a family member that I could stay with that lived in another state...I don't. Pretty much all of my family lives around Ohio and as I said I'm not close with really anyone but my parents. I have some aunts that live in Detroit, but for obvious reasons that's not the route I'm trying to take. I have an older cousin in Florida that I clicked with really well but we've only met once. We've kept in touch via facebook & texts, but I highly doubt shed let me room with her. Also Florida's marijuana laws a little too strict for my liking. Other than that, I have no one so I'd be doing this move completely...alone.

I just want some advice on taking the first step? The first step to leaving. I don't have much money but I do have a job so I can begin to save. How much should I save? I was thinking 10 grand would be a good start, if I found a roommate and what not. My goal for saving was 15, once I hit 15 grand I planned on leaving regardless. Also what would be a good city to move to for someone as new to the real world as myself? Nothing fancy or expensive like LA because clearly I cant afford that. Somewhere with an affordable cost of living that's relatively safe. I've never been anywhere outside of Ohio besides Detroit and Maryland and neither of those I have any interest in. I've always been fascinated with NYC but that's more than likely out of my price range too. Me and my friend made this plan in like 10th grade to move to Toronto together. We're not as close anymore or anything I havent really talked to him since high school but Toronto would be perfect I think however isnt there a whole immigration process I would have to go through? And changing currency and just...idk it sounds so difficult. So I'm asking from you guys opinions if you where in my situation, where would you start looking? Also do you think it's going to be harder to enroll in school? As I said before I plan on going to a community college but being that I'm from out of state would it make it harder for me to goto school? My parents are on board with helping to pay tuition so fortunately that won't be a major issue. I was thinking of using craigslist to find a place wherever I decide to migrate to, is this a good idea? I just want the basics, maybe a step by step guide or something to leaving the nest. I know google is my friend but I'd really like some advice from someone in a more personal manner, ya know?

Sorry for the long life story I just thought it'd be better to give a little background info, to help understand my situation (if you care lol) so thanks in advance

Hey,

If you really work for Target, you could try to get a transfer so you could keep your job even if you move.

You're just an hour from Ann Arbor (GREAT area) and you are also very close to Bowling Green, which is a fun university town with a fairly low cost-of-living. You could pretty easily do either one of those.

Aim to have at least 3 months expenses in the bank. You could move to the BGSU area right now and commute up to Target in Toledo. There are some studio apartments south of town in BG on Main Street that aren't bad, and there are plenty of ads for apartments on craigslist. If you want a roommate, your costs will be even lower.

If you want a new job, you are close enough (driving distance) to apply for jobs in A2 and BG and drive there for interviews if you are called.

Also, you could apply for a Cedar Point job, which would get you out of the house for the summer. The work is hard and the management honestly acts like jerks towards their front line staff, but the good things about CP might outweigh the disadvantages. You could live in the dorms, and save up, and then you could move somewhere you really want to after you finish the summer.

My advice is make your first move a "nearby one."

If you stay in Ohio, you will already have in-state residency and will qualify for much lower tuition.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Also, Columbus is amazing. It is a completely different world than Toledo. It's only about a 2 hour drive for you, you should just go down sometime even if it's just for the day. Walk around the neighborhoods near OSU - the numbered streets on High between 11th and 18th. You'll probably love it.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Hey everyone. I made an account just to ask this question (lol).
As of right now I live in Toledo. I hate Toledo and everything about this godforsaken city. I can honestly say there's nothing keeping me here. My family hates me, I have no close friends or relatives other than my parents. I feel as though if I stay in Toledo, hell, Ohio in general I'm going to be working at target sitting in my parents basement smoking weed for the rest of my life.

I'm 19, I graduated high school last year but never went to college. My marks were poop so I didn't take the time to apply anywhere and just focused on working. I'm bored with working now, I'm bored with everything here because everything is just so routine. I really want to move away and goto community college, get a part time job and a small apartment and work my way up from there but I know it's easier said then done. As much as it'd be nice to have a family member that I could stay with that lived in another state...I don't. Pretty much all of my family lives around Ohio and as I said I'm not close with really anyone but my parents. I have some aunts that live in Detroit, but for obvious reasons that's not the route I'm trying to take. I have an older cousin in Florida that I clicked with really well but we've only met once. We've kept in touch via facebook & texts, but I highly doubt shed let me room with her. Also Florida's marijuana laws a little too strict for my liking. Other than that, I have no one so I'd be doing this move completely...alone.

I just want some advice on taking the first step? The first step to leaving. I don't have much money but I do have a job so I can begin to save. How much should I save? I was thinking 10 grand would be a good start, if I found a roommate and what not. My goal for saving was 15, once I hit 15 grand I planned on leaving regardless. Also what would be a good city to move to for someone as new to the real world as myself? Nothing fancy or expensive like LA because clearly I cant afford that. Somewhere with an affordable cost of living that's relatively safe. I've never been anywhere outside of Ohio besides Detroit and Maryland and neither of those I have any interest in. I've always been fascinated with NYC but that's more than likely out of my price range too. Me and my friend made this plan in like 10th grade to move to Toronto together. We're not as close anymore or anything I havent really talked to him since high school but Toronto would be perfect I think however isnt there a whole immigration process I would have to go through? And changing currency and just...idk it sounds so difficult. So I'm asking from you guys opinions if you where in my situation, where would you start looking? Also do you think it's going to be harder to enroll in school? As I said before I plan on going to a community college but being that I'm from out of state would it make it harder for me to goto school? My parents are on board with helping to pay tuition so fortunately that won't be a major issue. I was thinking of using craigslist to find a place wherever I decide to migrate to, is this a good idea? I just want the basics, maybe a step by step guide or something to leaving the nest. I know google is my friend but I'd really like some advice from someone in a more personal manner, ya know?

Sorry for the long life story I just thought it'd be better to give a little background info, to help understand my situation (if you care lol) so thanks in advance

No that's OK and it sounds as though life has been hard for you.

Today honey, you need more than a HS diploma to survive. Either college or the military.

You need something and you need to be able to take care of yourself.

What are you interested in?

If you don't know, get an associates degree. I know where and how.

Send a DM if you want some advice from a cool mom. That would be me.

Here's what you DON"T DO - GET PREGNANT OR FALL IN LOVE.

If you write I'll tell you why.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,367 times
Wink Go for it

I know this might be kind of a late reply, but I just made a account just to reply to you. I am 19years old and i decided that i am going to move to Florida(i have never been to Florida). I live in California and have all my life. I completed my first year at the community college and i work at this cafe making 9 bucks an hour. -__- i love California but it is time for me to go and i just need to go. now it wasn't this super haste decision but im pulling it all together last minute. (bad idea) this what i think:

1. go for it. what other people said is true and very rational and you shouldn't just leave with no plan, but i know the feeling where its just time to go!

2.figure out your end goal. like where you want to end up. like for me i want to end up as a biology major and Florida state university. so i look up the schools website, looked at what they had to offer etc. then i looked at the stats on the city its in. such as crime rate, weather, employment rate, schools ratings. i looked around as if i was going to a 5year old little girl. this will make you not just pick anything. help you to set yourself up in a safe place. so when you know where you want to end up contact that school and tell them your plans your situation, everything. i called and email FSU and told them that "i don't meet the requirements to come to FSU in the fall, but i want to be there in the fall of 2013, so i will be going to the community college...etc" they were so helpful and the told me exactly what to do. i found out that by going to the community college out there, if i receive my AA i will have first pick to get into FSU. they told me how i could come to FSU on a weekly basis and work with advisers there so that they can help me get where i want to be.

3. now the community college, when you think that you are ready apply for FAFSA first. Follow all the directions and apply as a INDEPENDENT student. they will help find you government money to help pay for your classes, books and even rent and food. also i would apply for a bunch of scholarships now. this is just money from different organizations that you don't have to pay back. try to stay away from loans and if you do get one get it through the school, they have the lowest interest rate. After fafsa, apply for your community college way before the semester starts, that way you have plenty of time to get transcripts and anything else you need. since you will be an out of state student it will be a longer process, but at a community college you wont be paying extra. as long as you are going to school you will pay out of state no matter how long. if you move out of state and work and don't go to school for one year, then you will receive residency and be a in state student. for example if you move to California or anywhere and you live there for 5 years but you go to school for 5 years you will pay out of state tuition. make sense. so apply for school way early and then set up a meeting with a counselor tell them your plans and they will make a guide to follow as in what classes to take and such. take advantage of those people they will help you most while you are on your own.

4. now housing is hard but not impossible. i would not do craigslist unless you are already in the area and can meet people and see places so you will not get ripped off it happens all the time. call up nearby apartments near the school you want to go. some places will have roommate matching for those nearby apartments because only students are living there. being a girl and going somewhere ive never been this first im being cautious and going to room on my own. well also these apartments do not do roommate matching. you want a place that you can be secure. keep your home secure. try to get a furnished apartment so that's one less thing to worry about. if you don't get your furniture from a local thrift store!. don't base your search off of the pictures on the internet they do not always follow up to the truth. co sign on a place if you can.

5. think about transportation and gas. if you plan on driving gas prices can be very different for example gas in Hawaii is almost 5 bucks but here in cali its 3.23. how do you plan on getting around. if you are flying see if the school will provide a shuttle. most do! find a cheap hotel to stay while you find your place and buy food in bulk. fast food will add up. 5 bucks a meal with fast food would be 15 or more a day. by a 3 buck box of cheerios and 4 dollar gallon of milk and you have break fast for the rest of the week.

6. because you work at target you can apply for another target where ever you go! or you can also try talking to manager and ask about having them set you at a target somewhere else.

7. Do it! you are only 19 once and the experiences will be great, don't be too bold, but be exactly who you want to be. anything is possible! dont let anyone tell you no. but also look at the pros and cons of wherever you go. good luck and i hope this helped!!!!

Old 06-26-2015, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
Reading through this a few years later and I really wonder what you ended up doing. So I guess you're 21/22 now and that's pretty crazy. I know most likely you won't see this but I really want to know what you ended up doing, mainly because I'm now 19 and in your shoes

Old 06-26-2015, 08:57 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Amy, unfortunately, the OP hasn't posted since 2012. I, too, wish some people would come back and update their posts.

If you are in Ohio, I feel for you. I moved from there 2 years ago. Columbus is still the bright spot. If you are in-state, try to get a job at Meijer, Target, or Giant Eagle in Cols and look into programs at CSCC. You can rent a room in a house for now, and there's plenty of student housing near OSU campus and a good enough bus system if you want to attend CSCC (cheaper for the first 2 years and then go to OSU if you need a 4-year degree).

Otherwise, most of the posts written then still apply now: you need to build up skills while at the same time not incurring a bunch of debt. There really isn't anywhere that the economy is good enough for you to move out of state and get "any job" just because you are young and a hard worker. It takes skills and experience.

I know that's not what you may want to hear, but that's the reality of today's economy.

Good luck with your research! Try to avoid the military right now. We're gearing up for war in the not-too-distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues