Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 5,973 times

Advertisements

Hello I am looking for a rural area to rent/live that is between (600-900 mo.) and close to a town/city where I can get a job.

I am looking for solitutde, I am a devout traditional catholic who believes in all the dogmas, including the salvation dogma. I reject the new mass, Vatican 2 and the Vatican 2 antipopes. (msg me if you have any questions on this). I am looking for rural solitude, like a monastery. Preferably with a couple acres but that's not a requirement.

I am currently living in the pacific northwest, making minimum wage 40 hrs. week barely paying rent ($850 for everything right now), I'm also sick of living in cities but at the same time I need to make a living somehow.

I've been considering rural alaska/montana. But I am troubled researching both areas considering the economy in both places, especially montana. Alaska (coastal) would be ideal, but again employment seems very difficult there. Alaska is not just a place to move to if you don't have a job lined up. Also utilities in the winter could hurt me. Right now I am looking at homer Becuase it seems like a medium sized city by alaska standards where I could find a rural place to live with acreage, yet close to town so I could get a job.

Other places I have been considering is Texas/Utah/Deep South that meet these standards. Some place in the deep south where I can live but close enough to commute 25-35 miles away to my job.

Another reason I want to get out the northwest is the fact that it is one of the most irreligious areas in the country. Even places like deep south/utah are not even close to catholic, they have traditional values which I like and it will probably be easier to get any converts. Most people in the northwest don't even want to talk about religion AT ALL.

any comments on rural areas close to small/medium sized cites where employment is stable would be greatly appreciated: coastal (SE) alaska, Texas, Deep South, Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Hilarious!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Check out Michigan, tons of rural areas and are fairly close to major cities.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:21 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Indiana would be a great option.
There are several small to medium sized towns surrounding Indianapolis like Lebanon/Greenfield/Shelbyville/Martinsville/Danville that are under 30,000 people but close to Indianapolis and very Rural and affordable.
Heck Indiana has the nations most affordable housing market and lowest property taxes and a very efficient government. our state is giving each taxpayer 100$ back next year dont you wish your state did that?
Also Indiana has a great quality of life and is home to midwestern Hoosier Hospitality and a kind down to earth culture that no other state can match.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Two acres will not be rural solitude, unless it's wooded. If it isn't wooded, two acres is pretty small as far as solitude, but pretty big as far as upkeep. If it's wooded but deciduous, the upkeep isn't bad but you'll only have seasonal solitude.

Actually, the solitude won't be too much of a problem. People will stay away once they find out that you've come to convert them - except maybe church deacons, Mormon missionaries, and JW's, all coming to convert you.

Have you visited the areas you are considering? Do you know any Southern Baptists or Mormons? I think it's interesting that you consider them more likely to convert to your religion than the nonreligious.

And unless you have a lot of savings, nowhere is a good place to move without a job lined up.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I sincerely doubt that people anywhere who are happily committed to their religion, whatever it is, are going to be easier to convert than other people. I haven't heard much of Catholics who want converts; more likely, it's ex-Catholics (at least where I live). Are there evangelical Catholics?
Maybe OP really should live in some sort of monastic housing for lay people. Are there such things?
Alaska would be all wrong for every reason. Not noted for its religion. Homer is tiny and jobs in general in Alaska are very tight, especially for outsiders, and costs of living are very high.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
You might look into the Pittsburgh area...lots of traditional Catholic churches and it's a pretty low COL if you get out into the suburbs which quickly turn into rural areas. Cold winters but not as bad as Alaska. I wouldn't suggest moving to the southeast or Texas, as it is heavily evangelical and Southern Baptist, which is OK because when you get down to it, Catholics, Protestants, we're all believers just the same, but you might not feel comfortable. But if you're looking for pre-Vatican II churches, that would be almost impossible in the U.S., some are just more traditional than others.

Last edited by loveautumn; 07-11-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post

Actually, the solitude won't be too much of a problem. People will stay away once they find out that you've come to convert them - except maybe church deacons, Mormon missionaries, and JW's, all coming to convert you.

Amen!

Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Two acres will not be rural solitude, unless it's wooded. If it isn't wooded, two acres is pretty small as far as solitude, but pretty big as far as upkeep. If it's wooded but deciduous, the upkeep isn't bad but you'll only have seasonal solitude.

Have you visited the areas you are considering? Do you know any Southern Baptists or Mormons? I think it's interesting that you consider them more likely to convert to your religion than the nonreligious.

And unless you have a lot of savings, nowhere is a good place to move without a job lined up.
1. What I mean by my first comment is that although mormons/southern baptists are not catholic, they have more traditional values than almost all pagans and fallen away catholics. I don't have any money to visit. My dream would be to just live and work on a farm but I have no experience.

2.―Amen, amen, I say to you: He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold but climbeth up another way, the same is a thief and a robber.‖(Saint John 10:1)Pope Innocent IIIFourth Lateran Council, 1215: ―With our hearts we believe and with our lips we confess but one Church, not that of the heretics, but the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church, outside which we believe that no one is saved.Pope Boniface VIIIUnam Sanctum1302: ―With Faith urging us we are forced to believe and to hold the one, holy, Catholic Church and that, apostolic, and we firmly believe and simply confess this (Church) outside which there is no salvation nor remission of sin...Pope Eugene IV, ]Council of Florence, Bull Cantate Domino, 1441: ―The most Holy Roman Catholic Church firmly believes, professes, and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics and schismatics, can have a share in life eternal; but that they will go into the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless before death they are joined with Her; and that so important is the unity of this ecclesiastical body that only those remaining within this unity can receive an eternal recompense for their fasts, their almsgivings, their other works of Christian piety and the duties of a Christian soldier. No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may, no one, even if he pour out his blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church.‖

Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM

what about maine, vermont, upstate NY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues