Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marions22 View Post
Finding a job is definitely one of the top priorities when looking to move. We certainly did not want to look at 25 cities for their job opportunities but we have done Charleston, NYC, Manchester, Boston, Pensacola, San Jose, and Houston. Although we did factor that in originally, we decided that the career was going to have to take place after the bachelors and we have a guaranteed income no matter what through the military and for schooling. For buying a house after a few years we want to be happy somewhere and that place where we are happy have a workforce that fits our needs. I know the top ten places for IT right now but none of them really fit us. EX: Boston is waaayy to cold for me, Nashville is too small and away from water.. did I mention why water was a big deal to me?!? Half of my life is dedicated to my love for diving. It's the industry I want to get into for my personal career. Mixing a techi with a diver is a whole mess for the living environment.

The question that we struggle answering is:
Where is a safe city by an ocean and close enough to mountains/desert to be able to go on day trips hiking and camping?

It would appear our answer is obviously San Diego or Seattle, but we want to branch out somewhere new. Maybe we ran ourselves out of options for our lifestyle needs but we want to exhaust all avenues before returning to one of them...
For $850 a month rent I would forget about San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Mr. Rational, you are 1000% correct. I see it time and time again on the Portland forum. Potential transplants or many of them believe they are the only snowflakes with the idea of moving. They talk about the horrors about where they are living and the beauties of where they want to go like scenery and happy people and kumbaya. But they don't ask practical questions because they are so sure they will be able to get a job with their pathetic skills because they are flexible, willing to take anything, are smart, courageous, clever and have a degree in liberal arts.

What they never think about is they are a dime a dozen. For every clever idea they have, there are 100 who are already there with the same idea. They want to move where so many others want to move and the ironic thing is because of that, the place really may not be what they have perceived it to be any longer.

When people do give them advice as to how to make it here, because well, anything is possible. We did put a man on the moon didn't we? Some are appreciative but some get angry because they realize it will be an uphill battle and hard work because they have little of offer and want so much in return. Some will accuse the advice givers of deliberately trying to keep them from their "golden" city so as to have it all to themselves. It's a crazy world out there.

But as you said, and yours is the best advice ever. If you want to relocate, do your research; be patient, listen to the advice of those who have gone before you. If you haven't anything special to offer accept that and be prepared to work at being successful. If it means staying where you are and saving a bit more to fall back on when you move, do it. I won't repeat the advice I have given before but I will say I have seen it work for people moving here and this is a very tough town in which to try to succeed.
Exactly.
Hence why Austin Texas is not a good idea to just pack up and move too.
People are already relocating to Austin Texas and its creating a problem of to many people looking for jobs.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
I'm enjoying this thread. Good info. OP, is it possible for you and/or your husband to make a bunch of phone calls/emails, contacts, and set up one week to head to your new city for interviews? You would have a definite date you would be in town, and the companies would likely look favorably on that. It would also give you time to scope out a place to live based on your research.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 AM

11 posts, read 16,730 times
I feel as though this convo has completely strayed from what a suitable place is for our needs to what I need to do to get a job. Unfortunately, I have been avoiding saying this, but money isn't the issue of ours at all. In fact, were completely sound financially and well be taking our time looking for jobs and schools when we get where were going, wherever that is. We haven't decided yet but our happiness in the next chapter in our lives is what is most important. The $850 cap is so we could live happily within what I have budgeted for. I would really like to stay on track with my objectives and goals then to get into the great debate of job hunting when relocating.
There is no one right way to move. There is no one right way to find a job. There are not "necessary steps" because each person is an individual that must market themselves differently. Sure, turn in resumes, call a few agencies, but you should get your butt where it needs to be before you start looking to make contractual agreements/interviews with anyone. When I moved to San Diego a while ago I brought two months rent with me, refused to sign a lease, and had more than enough to get along well in daily living, before a week was over in SD I found myself with more job offers than I could count. If you don't have money to move or you are bad with your finances and/or lazy then check yourself before you make a huge step in your life and dig a hole in the process. However, this isn't the case...for us anyways, and were really really excited to get on with this move!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
...this convo has completely strayed from what a suitable place is for our needs to what I need to do to get a job.
Because for 98% of the world the job is 98% of the decision.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have been avoiding saying this, but money isn't the issue of ours at all.
Unfortunate indeed. You should have made that clear at the outset.

Quote:
I would really like to stay on track with my objectives and goals then to get into the great debate of job hunting when relocating.
You should probably start a new thread that lays out your actual circumstances.
Be sure to mention the 20 or 30 places you already know you don't want to be as well.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
I also agree that it is nearly impossible finding a job out of state. I had luck with this one time before using craigslist for jobs and sending my resume in. I was considering moving to Destin, Florida a year ago and I did actually get the job there. The process was really weird and I spent a total of 2 hours talking with the manager of the store on the phone and even did a skype interview. However, I decided not to take the job and moved to California instead.
I am happy there are other people out there that know good and well how hard finding a job is when you are days away. I am a damn savvy person and a go getter. There is no doubt I can find a job, I just need to be able to physically go out there and get one. (& apparently online has been successful, once!) lol

PS. The moving hunt is still going horrible. Hopefully we figure something out soon. My husband finally busted out the woodwork that he can't stand humidity. Charleston and Florida seems out of the question now. Is it hot in Charlotte or Columbia?
Columbia and Charlotte get hot and humid in the summer just like anywhere on the east cost. Columbia is worse. I still think you should check out those areas because the rest of the year will be pleasant for the most part. Check out Greenville SC or Raleigh, NC or Asheville, NC as well.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion 22 View Post
I feel as though this convo has completely strayed from what a suitable place is for our needs to what I need to do to get a job. Unfortunately, I have been avoiding saying this, but money isn't the issue of ours at all. In fact, were completely sound financially and well be taking our time looking for jobs and schools when we get where were going, wherever that is. We haven't decided yet but our happiness in the next chapter in our lives is what is most important. The $850 cap is so we could live happily within what I have budgeted for. I would really like to stay on track with my objectives and goals then to get into the great debate of job hunting when relocating.
There is no one right way to move. There is no one right way to find a job. There are not "necessary steps" because each person is an individual that must market themselves differently. Sure, turn in resumes, call a few agencies, but you should get your butt where it needs to be before you start looking to make contractual agreements/interviews with anyone. When I moved to San Diego a while ago I brought two months rent with me, refused to sign a lease, and had more than enough to get along well in daily living, before a week was over in SD I found myself with more job offers than I could count. If you don't have money to move or you are bad with your finances and/or lazy then check yourself before you make a huge step in your life and dig a hole in the process. However, this isn't the case...for us anyways, and were really really excited to get on with this move!
Fair enough. But if you peruse other relocation forums you will see the first thing people usually ask about is jobs because for most people asking about relocation jobs are the main concern. And it is the first thing people will answer about because it is such a common concern. It would have been more helpful for you to state in your original post you weren't looking for job-seeking advice but you probably didn't realize that so that's why you have gotten a lot of suggestions as to how to find work.

No problem though. I think now that you have made it clear what you are not asking, why not begin a new thread stating you are not looking for advice on how to find work because you already have your game plan on that but list what features for which you are looking in a new place?What type of housing, COL, climate, amenities, public transportation (or not), size; things like that?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Florida's defininitely not an option.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
I think Northern VA is a good pick. The job market is better, housing can be expensive, but they have a light rail into DC. His x-military status might help him get a job quicker.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I think Northern VA is a good pick. The job market is better, housing can be expensive, but they have a light rail into DC. His x-military status might help him get a job quicker.
Dont forget the horrible traffic either.
No discussion of Washington D.C would be complete without that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues