Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 120,630 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the kinda ok, the bad and the ughly about moving companies and Pods.

Does anyone have any recomendations? Some of the stuff I'm reading is downright scary.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 11:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
we always used Penske, but we moved ourselves, they we got great rates and trucks. I have heard bad things about PODS

Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
It isn't scary, but the experience can really be extremely frustrating sometimes. It's hard to know whom to choose as if you go online and look at "moving companies feedback" , which I did before selecting one, to see who has the best customer feedback, that doesn't help much in the real world. I've used North American from San Francisco to Las Vegas, and I used Bekins from Las Vegas to Missouri. It depends also if you're going to have the moving company store your household while you look for a home, or if you're going straight from point A to point B, if they're going to pack you up or simply pick up boxes that you pack yourself, etc. Bekins I can tell you without hesitation to avoid. They damaged my antique Duncan & Phyfe mahogany dining room table and one of the chairs, they broke a pair of crystal stem lamps, gouged one of my nightstands, lost all of my yard tools, as well as my ladders, broke my lawnmower, and gave me a box of someone else's artwork which they wouldn't come and pick up when I notified them. They also put me through hoops on following up my claims, didn't inventory anything in my garage which I didn't notice as I was in the house while it was being packed to help and couldn't watch everything, so I had no proof... and they tried to bill me twice. I had an 'ok' experience with North American back in 2000 from SF to LV, and I've heard that lots of corporate moves use United successfully. Whatever you do, get the estimate, watch that everything is properly inventoried, and post family members throughout the house and garage to watch that everything is inventoried. Make sure they don't write on their slips that you have damaged furniture already either...they are hesitant to mark a piece in good condition in case they damage it. Stand your ground.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I used PODS for my last move. The service was great, you can take your time loading and unloading, and you don't have to drive the thing. We ended up not closing for 6 weeks after we thought we were going to. PODS will store for you (and your stuff is already loaded). I highly recommend them.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:46 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I don't have any recommendations, but I had tried to use Precision Moving (I think they're located out of West Palm Beach) to move my furniture from Philly to Florida. I could never get in contact with the appropriate person to speak to, they did NOT come on the scheduled contract day, nor the next, nor the next..nor the third even though I kept speaking to the driver who was always saying "we're almost there"...I canceled them on the 3rd day they were supposed ot be there for the breach of contract, and waited a couple of months of writing to the BBB, and heads of departments of the city they were located in, before finally receiving my money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues