U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 12:13 PM

41,188 posts, read 50,979,381 times

Advertisements

I vaguely remember something about weight with the Penske trucks. Perhaps they weigh more unloaded, which could be important if you are fully loaded and must go through a weigh station.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,369,450 times
I am not going to read all the posts, but Uhaul is hit and miss. Sometimes you get a real POS and other times not. I think Uhaul is franchise maybe. I drove a Budget truck from So Cal to Denver with a trailer and my car on it and it was ok, but that was after they tried to tell me their trailer was ok when it was old and rotten and I had to demand they give me a different from a different location. When I look to move I may go PODS this time.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 AM

3,923 posts, read 9,616,254 times
for what it's worth, when we rented our Uhaul (26') for our move from WI to SC in 2009, i told the local dealer (which was a garage I was familar with) that i likely would have to pull my boat with it and wanted to ensure we got one in not only capable of the 1000 mile trip thru the mountains but set up for towing.
We picked up a truck that was only a couple months old, so not only no issues on the trip but it was reasonable for fuel mileage as well. Didnt use it for towing, but that reasoning seemed to help us get a better truck.
As we needed the largest truck we could get, and my only experience with Penske was their corporate straight truck rentals (and we wanted the low load floor) we went with Uhaul. I cant say what it's like when comparing the smaller cube vans between the differernt companies

Old 10-17-2012, 04:27 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,695,620 times
I like Penske. Also, I got them to knock down the price by asking for a discount.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM

5,699 posts, read 17,415,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
It has been YEARS but I reserved a UHaul to bring my mother's stuff from Crescent City to Phoenix. When we got there, NO TRUCK. They told us they expected a truck but, hey - it didn't make it and they didn't shuffle trucks around. They offered a larger truck (and a HEFTY discount) but we had to go to MEDFORD to pick it up! Since my husband and son had flown up there for the move, there was no choice. Overall, I agree, I like the Mother's Attic and we've never rented anything else but UHaul- but we only do local moves now!
^^^This is what happened to us as well. I had it booked ahead of time and thought it was all set. We had one day to move, no other options. We went to pick up the truck and they told us it wasn't back yet. So they looked in the system and found one in a different city, about a 25 mile trip. I was not pleased because it was going to waste a lot of our time. Then when we got there the truck was pretty banged up. So we had to do the walk around with the agent so they couldn't come back and say we caused the damage. The truck ran well and we had no problems turning it in upon on our destination but not being able to get the truck where we promised put us in major stressor mode.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM

88 posts, read 641,354 times
I just wanted to update this for future readers and say that the Uhaul performed just fine on our 2600 mile move/road trip.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:25 PM

6,322 posts, read 14,149,758 times
Found Uhaul very undependable. Made a reservation two months in advance and when we went to pick it up they told us they had to wait to see if the size we wanted came in (NJ) Ended up calling around and was able to get a truck, after three hours. Had also made a reservation at the same time for a return truck (Boston). Same problem, had to wait until a truck MAYBE came in. This time waited eight hours and had to vacate apartment, so had to move all my son's things onto the sidewalk, which is against the law. I NEVER WILL USE UHAUL AGAIN.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,613,643 times
We have had several large distance moves, and I highly recommend Pensky. Their trucks are tip top shape and the company is very customer service oriented. For our move from MI to NC I got an online discount at Pensky for reserving it 30 days in advance. The trucks were smooth driving, and really much cheaper than any of the other movers. We looked into all the major companies, including the pack and ship companies. I don't think I would ever recommend another company besides them.

We have only used UHaul in town, and have had horrible trucks. We had a friend who moved from IN to WI 3 months ago and the UHaul truck blew a tire, at 75 mph! Of course any truck could blow a tire; however, the friend said that all 4 tires were "slightly used".

Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 10,420 times
BAD ODOMETER/SPEEDOMETER...

I rented from Penske... I took the truck to my house in preparation to move, I thought I must have remembered the original odometer reading wrong as read I had traveled 22 miles (and I live about 13 from the place). When I finally got on the interstate to complete the move, I noticed that the needle was pegged at 85 miles an hour. I immediately called the 1800 Penske number to notify them of the issue and of course since the local offices were closed for the holiday they said to take it up on Monday...

the Google map for my trip showed a total of 248 miles, the Penske Odometer clocked it at 440 miles... I just got off the phone with the local Penske shop and they said the odometer is fine, I am 100% certain it was not when I was using it...

I won't be renting from Penske again.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,613,643 times
Didn't you get unlimited miles, just rent for a trip (and they calculate miles and give you a price up front?)? We did, one way to NC from MI and then another time from NC to AL, which are quite a distance for each move. Sorry you had that experience but I honestly thought all long distance travel was kinda a one price, and then when you return it if there are scratches, dents, etc then they charge extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues