U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,064 times

Advertisements

We have used Penske to great success in the past but be sure to buy the insurance. My son (23) just moved from Kansas to Florida and pulling into a hotel hit the overhang. Unwisely, he had declined the insurance and it will now cost him over $7,000 for the repairs. The hotel insurance covered the overhang but Penske is wanting their money. Sad, sad, sad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,290 times
Default qwote me

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Where the heck you moving too? I am moving next weekend over 1000 miles and have a 26' truck rented from Penske for $214. With a tow dolly, insurance and tax I'm looking at around $530 total plus the cost of gas.
Hi My name is Sandra Ucker I am moving to Crowley Tx need a med size u haul and a car dolley for my Toyota matrix

Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,290 times
that's five hundred and thrity dollars with a car dolly

Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,610 times
u haul you srewed me again had me drive 125 miles fore a hitch and then said it wasent available we made a mistake time for another free trailer rental lol johnybgood327@hotmail.com ask me how i will do that i will tell ya lol free dolly pads and fuel in the uhaul cheaters handguide to free uhauling by a ex affliate

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 AM

10,871 posts, read 12,360,707 times
We used Budget on our last move and they were excellent. We got a truck that was what we ordered, but was too big so they had another one for us in a different location and because of the hassle, the driving back and forth to get it and the short time to do it, they gave us money off, and a good amt. off. They were very good to deal with.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 AM

4,923 posts, read 4,339,267 times
I can certainly relate to some of the opinions concerning the U-Haul trucks. Three years ago we rented a 26' truck with the widow's attic for an interstate move from Chicago to Green Bay. Upon driving it off the lot...no brake lights. We turn around and bring the truck back to the lot; next surprise, non working horn.

We did end up getting another truck, got it a third of the way loaded, had to move the truck for a neighbor, and the truck dies out and will not start. A call to U-Haul and much 'bickering' on their part we finally have an independent and contracted service person out who said he, himself would not drive the truck (due to mechanical issues) and he followed us back to return the truck to that particular U-Haul.

We drove to another U-Haul location, got another truck (much newer, low mileage, 'clean' truck) at a very considerable discount and did what we started out to do much earlier in the day.

In the end with many conversations with corporate U-Haul the move ended up costing very little. I will say that we took pictures (of the truck, the license plate, vin number and bald tires) and the name and phone number of the serviceman who said he would back up what we had been though.

I would use U-Haul again but never from the dealer we had initially gone to, although he was much closer and more convenient. As others have said get the best price you can from U-Haul through whatever means necessary (haggling or not confirming immediately) and check out the truck as much as is possible concerning the mileage and condition/appearance of the truck they give you.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 AM

528 posts, read 1,033,293 times
This is dated info, but FWIW...

I worked for a well-known moving company on the DC area during college. Though well-known, it was small, so during the summer peak season, we would rent some moving trucks.

The pecking order was Ryder, then Penske. U-Hauls were not rented because they had a history of breaking down on us. really comment on Penske as we didn't rent many, mainly because Ryder's equipment was so reliable and the company was so good to us.

Just my experience.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:20 PM

6,246 posts, read 10,086,689 times
Exclamation No Ryder one-ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
This is dated info, but FWIW...

I worked for a well-known moving company on the DC area during college. Though well-known, it was small, so during the summer peak season, we would rent some moving trucks.

The pecking order was Ryder, then Penske. U-Hauls were not rented because they had a history of breaking down on us. really comment on Penske as we didn't rent many, mainly because Ryder's equipment was so reliable and the company was so good to us.

Just my experience.
One caveat to Ryder, they don't do "one-way" rentals

See this from Truck Rental & Moving Trucks | Rent a Truck Today with Ryder

"Ryder rentals are roundtrip only and must be returned to the original rental location"

Old 03-30-2015, 03:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,096,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwells3030 View Post
I have three estimates:

Uhaul 17ft:$2,072 but the route we want to take would add $340 in extra mileage charges.
Penske 16ft:$2,043 unlimited mileage
Budget 16ft:$1,649 unlimited mileage

All quotes include 7 days and a car carrier.

I have used Uhaul many times in the past and have been happy with the experience. Plus they have the "mother's attic" which works great at separating fragile stuff from the rest of the load.

I have never used Penske or Budget but the unlimited mileage is interesting me. The only thing is their boxes are smaller and they don't have the mother's attic. I am also concerned if there is something their websites are not telling me. Will I regret not using Uhaul who I have experience with?

What are your experiences?
Penske is the most reliable.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:35 PM

17,413 posts, read 23,170,398 times
Uhaul scares me long trips. We've used Penske and were very happy with it. For in town moves we used Uhaul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues