U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,597 times

Advertisements

cheaters hand guide lol to uhaul disconect odometer wich is locked but can be worked change out tires on there ride if they realy screwed ya tire swap you rented it a day take your time 6 tires on a 14 footer are worth something lol borow a dolly from another truck when you drop your's off allways a good 1 allso whatever else ya need on the lot cameras are there just cover em " u haul is a free fore all just remem,ber that its what they do too you do it to them but with kindness lol they do have a bad guy list so be carful not to end up there my last 2 tow trucks when i contracted with them they never paid me so i rented a 14 footer and swaped tires with my rig that]s why so many uhauls are feild striped and renters get screwed cause there screwing everyone else on down the line just remember with uhaul have fun get even lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,597 times
another good one is to rent a local truck they will time slot you for the smallest time and tell you that you dont need the truck all day just use it all day and at the apropriate time when they start calling you telling you to return the truck tell them it broke down take a wire off or 2 and make it run crappy ect that way they dont hit you extra fore being late learned that fro tini balzerak in mt clemens michigan a co ceo

Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 AM

346 posts, read 354,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntbgood327 View Post
cheaters hand guide lol to haul disconect odometer wich is locked but can be worked change out tires on there ride if they realy screwed ya tire swap you rented it a day take your time 6 tires on a 14 footer are worth something lol borow a dolly from another truck when you drop your's off allways a good 1 allso whatever else ya need on the lot cameras are there just cover em " u haul is a free fore all just remem,ber that its what they do too you do it to them but with kindness lol they do have a bad guy list so be carful not to end up there my last 2 tow trucks when i contracted with them they never paid me so i rented a 14 footer and swaped tires with my rig that]s why so many uhauls are feild striped and renters get screwed cause there screwing everyone else on down the line just remember with uhaul have fun get even lol

John, have you been drinking?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:57 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,689,551 times
Someone mentioned as a negative point, the trucks are limited to 75MPH. I dont think any moving truck Ive ever used would make it to that speed. Most were not happy going much above 60.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 PM

2,491 posts, read 5,165,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I can certainly relate to some of the opinions concerning the U-Haul trucks. Three years ago we rented a 26' truck with the widow's attic for an interstate move from Chicago to Green Bay. Upon driving it off the lot...no brake lights. We turn around and bring the truck back to the lot; next surprise, non working horn.

We did end up getting another truck, got it a third of the way loaded, had to move the truck for a neighbor, and the truck dies out and will not start. A call to U-Haul and much 'bickering' on their part we finally have an independent and contracted service person out who said he, himself would not drive the truck (due to mechanical issues) and he followed us back to return the truck to that particular U-Haul.

We drove to another U-Haul location, got another truck (much newer, low mileage, 'clean' truck) at a very considerable discount and did what we started out to do much earlier in the day.

In the end with many conversations with corporate U-Haul the move ended up costing very little. I will say that we took pictures (of the truck, the license plate, vin number and bald tires) and the name and phone number of the serviceman who said he would back up what we had been though.

I would use U-Haul again but never from the dealer we had initially gone to, although he was much closer and more convenient. As others have said get the best price you can from U-Haul through whatever means necessary (haggling or not confirming immediately) and check out the truck as much as is possible concerning the mileage and condition/appearance of the truck they give you.
Or got a reputable company instead of dealing with U-haul. Why in the world would you use U-haul again seeing how not only do they have a history and reputation of unreliable trucks, but you experienced this first hand? wow

Old 04-05-2016, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,068 times
truck uhaul $1,323.00 15 10' is 1218
truck budget $816.00 12
truck penske $869.00 12

Why would I pay more for uHaul? I've always thought their trucks are older and junkier.

I just rented two diesel Penske 26 footers from KC to LA. No problems, and one was pulling a car trailer.
They are slow (down to 25 mph in the mountains by Denver). They are underpowered. The fuel tank is too small; I don't like fueling 3x/day.

Between budget and penske for this next trip, I would choose the faster truck if I could figure that out.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,677 times
Default Uhaul penske budget and a few moving companies

After much calling and emailing have found out uhaul, penske, budget rent a trucks and trailers go up if you are shopping around and dont jump on their so called deals that day. Moving companies mislead you and advertise they will move you for as little as 499.00....good luck finding that deal.
After much research we got fed up and decide the h*** with them all and purchased a almost new trailer for less money. I am very happy with our decision not to throw money away and basically that they pi**ed us off enough to make the right decision. Hope this helps others.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkansascity View Post
truck uhaul $1,323.00 15 10' is 1218
truck budget $816.00 12
truck penske $869.00 12

Why would I pay more for uHaul? I've always thought their trucks are older and junkier.

I just rented two diesel Penske 26 footers from KC to LA. No problems, and one was pulling a car trailer.
They are slow (down to 25 mph in the mountains by Denver). They are underpowered. The fuel tank is too small; I don't like fueling 3x/day.

Between budget and penske for this next trip, I would choose the faster truck if I could figure that out.

UPDATE;

Home Depot had GMC and FORD. The Penske guy was there and said the GMC was faster. It wasn't.

Trip #2 to CA from KC;

I have another update after another Penske rental. Just yesterday I completed a Kansas City to Omaha to Castle Rock CO, to LA, CA route in a 16'.

My prior trip was 2 x 26' diesels from KC to LA, with one pulling a trailer.

They say online that you'll save money with the diesels due to better fuel economy. I am a diesel fan, and have owned several and drove truck for a living for a while. However, in this context I did not save any money with the diesels.

The two diesels got pretty bad fuel mileage. Over the entire trip, I would say we averaged 7 mpg on the diesels, one pulling a car on a trailer. They were INCREDIBLY underpowered in the mountains. We were down to 15 MPH on some mountains. This obviously makes the trip take a lot longer. Coupled with the 75 MPH governed top speed, and it's a slow (but safe and reliable) trip.

On this second trip, I chose the gas 16' to see how that would work. It's less weight and a smaller truck. I had the GMC, with a gas engine. This thing was also governed at 75 mph and the cruise control would only work up to 70 mph. But this thing had HUGE POWER. I went up Eisenhower / Loveland at 65 MPH and probably could have gone even faster. It passed everything going uphill, even Prius cars. Now, on the fuel economy on the gas 16' I was surprised there as well; on the section over Loveland, I got over 10 mpg. Sections were as follows; 11.01 MPG, 10.87 MPG, 10.40 MPG. So, with this truck I made better time by not having to go 15 mph up hills, and the fuel costs were cheaper as well.

They ALL have too small fuel tanks. I was always searching for a place to get diesel. In my opinion, I should not have to fuel three times/day. I did travel pretty hard; last section was 1067 miles in one day. (From Castle Rock, CO, to Simi Valley, CA). It was a long day, but no real issues.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:13 AM

4,714 posts, read 6,108,106 times
My son rented a U-Haul truck to move from Texas to CA. He was issued a truck that definitely looked very "used", but accepted it. As we were leaving the parking light, the "check engine" light went on. Not a good sign. We went back to the office and asked for a new truck. After some phone calls by the staff for permission, he was issued a new truck - with just a few hundred miles on it. This one was much more comfortable, and he drove the whole trip by himself without incident. I don't know why they would not have issued the new truck in the first place, since it was right there in the lot, but I am thankful that light went off right there. Makes me think someone was looking out for my son.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:29 AM

7,417 posts, read 4,300,695 times
A few years ago we rented a 17' truck from U-Haul twice because we needed to make two separate runs a few months apart. It was the hell move, from the Denver area to the Olympic peninsula, WA. Between those two rental truck runs I also drove my own pickup with a trailer.

The first time, I made the mistake of booking through an affiliate because it was the closest location to our old home. The day we were to pick it up, they called me and said the truck had not been returned by the previous renter, so we would need to get one from the corporate location. Not a big deal in our case.

The second time, I booked from the corporate location.

Both times, the trucks ran well and I had no problems whatsoever. I am just under 5'3" and could easily adjust everything to suit me, which was a big relief. I drove the rental both times and actually enjoyed driving those trucks. (Then again, long ago I rented an Isuzu diesel cube van with a manual transmission and liked that, too.) I had been worried that they would bog on the long mountain ascents and want to run away on the descents but they did just fine. It probably helped that they were designed to tow a car on a dolly, which I did NOT do. So basically the cargo was well below its limits.

I would rent from U-Haul again but I would also look up reviews of the LOCAL office to make sure it doesn't have a lot of bad incidents. From the posts on this thread, it sounds like all three companies have tremendous variation in quality of service and reliability of trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues