Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:14 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,735,146 times

Advertisements

In this thread, it talks about chucking most furniture if it didn't cost a lot, in order to save a bundle of money and just buying new.

I get that. However, we don't have much furniture we plan to keep in the first place (whether we move 10 feet or 10,000 miles.)

But, we do have a lot of possessions, such as a pretty full kitchen. I'm not talking appliances here, but all the little things that add up.

I'm going to presuppose that one of us, will not have a job at first when we get to our new destination. I will presuppose that we therefore, will not have money to buy new things at first.

It's going to cost us at least some money to move stuff, because we aren't going to throw away our clothing, or our silver ware, or our photo albums or computers.

I estimate that a move will cost us around $4K. I can't possibly think that we can replace EVERYTHING for less.

Any thoughts from people who haven't moved 5 bedroom houses... but more modest amounts of stuff across country? (NY to Denver.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 AM

284 posts, read 1,677,697 times
A friend moved across several states and left heavy items like the refrigerator, couch, etc. behind. So, upon arrival, they bought inexpensive replacements. It has been just over a year, and they have had nothing but trouble with their new refrigerator. They cannot get the maker or the store to make good on the warranty, and they have dreamed for the entire time of the great refrigerator they left behind. However, they have great furniture that they got after moving. I learned from them that if I don't have the money to buy a decent replacement when we move, I'd better just take the old item or be willing to do without until we can save for a decent replacement (kinda hard to do without a refrig. though!).

Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 PM

35 posts, read 184,510 times
Are you planning to move it all yourself or hire a moving company? I'm moving a 1-bedroom apartment and it's approximately $1750 to move 2000 lbs worth of stuff. I have less than 2000 lbs but that's their minimum, and I've heard that other companies have higher minimums, like 2500 or 3000 lbs. (Luckily my company is paying for it. )

I considered putting my furniture on Craigs List and rebuying when I got to my destination (I'm moving from Houston to Phoenix), but in the end I decided that I'd rather keep my things than have to spend the time going out and hunting for new furniture that I like.

If you are considering hiring a moving company, check out www.movingscam.com. Despite the name, it's actually a site that helps you avoid moving scams. Very useful! Also, if you're going to do all your own moving, do yourself a favor and avoid renting from U-Haul at all costs.

Best of luck!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1120 View Post
Are you planning to move it all yourself or hire a moving company? I'm moving a 1-bedroom apartment and it's approximately $1750 to move 2000 lbs worth of stuff. I have less than 2000 lbs but that's their minimum, and I've heard that other companies have higher minimums, like 2500 or 3000 lbs. (Luckily my company is paying for it. )

I considered putting my furniture on Craigs List and rebuying when I got to my destination (I'm moving from Houston to Phoenix), but in the end I decided that I'd rather keep my things than have to spend the time going out and hunting for new furniture that I like.

If you are considering hiring a moving company, check out Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams. Despite the name, it's actually a site that helps you avoid moving scams. Very useful! Also, if you're going to do all your own moving, do yourself a favor and avoid renting from U-Haul at all costs.

Best of luck!
No we definitely need a moving company. It would costs more money in hotel and food if we did it ourselves. Plus, I'm not so big on carrying boxes and furniture up and down stairs some 800 times! But I will pack and unpack the boxes which is quite a bit of work.

Yes, I have del.icio.us'd that website before. But thanks for the tip.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,476,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
In this thread, it talks about chucking most furniture if it didn't cost a lot, in order to save a bundle of money and just buying new.

I get that. However, we don't have much furniture we plan to keep in the first place (whether we move 10 feet or 10,000 miles.)

But, we do have a lot of possessions, such as a pretty full kitchen. I'm not talking appliances here, but all the little things that add up.

I'm going to presuppose that one of us, will not have a job at first when we get to our new destination. I will presuppose that we therefore, will not have money to buy new things at first.

It's going to cost us at least some money to move stuff, because we aren't going to throw away our clothing, or our silver ware, or our photo albums or computers.

I estimate that a move will cost us around $4K. I can't possibly think that we can replace EVERYTHING for less.

Any thoughts from people who haven't moved 5 bedroom houses... but more modest amounts of stuff across country? (NY to Denver.)
We are moving from SW FL to NE OH in 3 weeks. We are currently renting a 3 bdrm condo, so no major appliances are coming.

Packing the boxes ourselves, etc.

UPack ABF: $1744 for 20sq linear feet. ABF charges by the foot & will charge less or more if you use less or more. This prices covers drivers, gas, tolls, & taxes. You have 3 days to pack & unpack the truck. It's a 28ft truck. They drop it off & pick it up. We were able to schedule same day drop off & pick up due to time constraints. $50 less on non-peak days.
Can get an estimate on their website.

Called around local area & got quotes to hire guys to move the boxes onto the truck (& down the stairs ).
Found a local company for 2 men/4 hr min/$90/hr

We have to store our items for about 10 days due to title transfer time on our new home, but ABF will store it for either $50/day or $395 for 30 days. The 30 days does not get prorated, so we will be paying $395 for that storage.

Will call around locally up in OH to get quotes on movers. Estimate it to be about the same.

Driving 2 cars in 2 days. Hotel + gas + food = $500

Said & done, we are estimating it to cost us about $3000.

Suggest chceking out UPack ABF. They have been really, really helpful. If you guys can pack the truck yourself, this might be a really economically way to go!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:09 PM

630 posts, read 2,221,555 times
I just shipped all of my things cross country, CA to MA, for $2700. That was living, dining, kitchen and one bedroom. This did not include any major applliances, but did include the couch, loveseat, coffe table, end tables, chair, desk chair, dining table, dresser, 2 night stands and the queen bed with head board and foot board. I must admit I did have a lot of boxes ... I have a lot of clothes. Shipping my truck cost cross country cost $1200. So all in all about 4K to move from CA to MA, I will get reimbursed but I had to pay upfront so I just couldn't break the bank, since it's already broken.

Best Wishes to you on your move !!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,017,427 times
We used Broadway to move from NJ to MO. We were in a similar situation; not much furniture but quite a bit of kitchen stuff, general housewares, etc., that would have been expensive to replace. It cost just under $2100.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:00 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,569,833 times
When we moved from GA to TX (3 bedroom home). We got the xlarge uhaul with a hitch on the back for our car. We packed 1bedroom set; and office; living room; dining room and everything else. We sold our master bedroom set. Basically the budget truck was packed to capacity because of the furniture and tons of boxes. The total cost was approx. $2,500 which included the rental of the truck; hitch; gas; hotel (1night); and food. I think we made off pretty good and it was a nice road trip for us (although the truck wasn't that comfortable).

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

100 posts, read 416,586 times
Question christina0001--

I am wondering about Broadway Movers. Some time back, I sent them an email asking what areas they service, but never heard back. How did you get your moving experience, going ,with them? I anticipate moving from southern Md. to Lenoir, N.C. area.
Thanks, fredda

Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Suggest chceking out UPack ABF. They have been really, really helpful. If you guys can pack the truck yourself, this might be a really economically way to go!

Great Post. Thanks for the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues