Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 AM

14 posts, read 24,817 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to move away from home in MO to North San Diego County CA. We've been doing lots of research on homes and jobs there. We just took a trip to the area and roamed around. We now know what neighborhoods we like and the general feel of the area. The next step we just can't figure out is how to actually make the move. How and when do we look for jobs, sell our home, buy a new home, and move? We're hoping to move next August. Here is our background info:
- we own a 1900 sq home, and after selling some items we will have only basic furniture, boxes, and washer/ dryer to move
- we would like to avoid renting when we get there, willing to stay at a pet friendly extended stay hotel for up to two weeks
- we would both need two weeks notice at our current jobs
- I am an RN and currently getting my BSN which will be done in May, then I need to apply for a CA license which can take up to two months to obtain
- we have a small dog but no children
- we have two vehicles
- we have at least one parent to help with the move
The main questions we have are:
1. How do we sell and buy at the same time?
2. When do we apply for jobs and will they hire before we live there?
3. For the actual move, if we have a home ready we are thinking Uhaul?? If we need to stay at a hotel for a couple weeks we are thinking a ABF upack with storage and taking the basics in the vehicles?
I've received some great advice in the San Diego boards so hoping everyone can help with this too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,963,373 times
My husband and I moved from VA to NC (which was only 6 hours and a little over 400 miles) 6 years ago. We had a home built and we sold a home in a good market at that time. I would never buy and sell a home at the same time ever again. I don't even think it can be done anymore especially if you don't have jobs when doing so.

This was our timeline -

- We put in a contract on a home in September of 05.
- We put our home in VA on the market in January 06
- We closed on our house in NC in late April 06
-Got contract on VA house in early May
- Husband gave 2 weeks notice at job two weeks before we closed on VA house - May 06
- Close on house and move late May 06
- Husband gets job two weeks after moving to NC - June 06

I kept my job that I had in VA. My boss allowed me to work from home and we made money off the sale of our house so husband getting job 2 weeks after worked out ok.

I think in your situation that you should have about 6 months of expenses saved and put your house on the market in early spring. I would do that first and then let the rest fall into place. If you sell your house quick you could always rent a place or stay in an extended hotel or stay with parents until you are ready to make the move. Once you sell your house in MO then take a trip out to CA to look around for a house to buy. You could also start sending out your resume at that time and maybe combine the house buying trip with interviews.

I think Uhaul sounds like a good option if you don't have alot of stuff to move. You could always get a trailer to tow one of the cars behind the Uhaul while the other person drives the other car.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnurse View Post
...we just can't figure out is how to actually make the move.
How and when do we look for jobs, sell our home, buy a new home, and move?
We're hoping to move next August.
In the current housing market... you can't count on a quick sale.
And until you have the property sold you can't plan or effect much of anything else.
Make selling the house job #1.

Related to that... plan to sell off all but your best pieces of furniture.
Store these along with all the other things you're really sure you'll want to
bring to San Diego with you when you eventually do go.

Then find a furnished place for the six months it takes to do the job search.
When you have secured ONE job... go ahead and move. Rent for the first year.

After you're both employed again and really sure about those jobs...
look for something to buy.

hth

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM

30 posts, read 62,622 times
good luck with everything! I am an RN in Oklahoma planning on a cross country move next year to western NY. I have been to the area twice already and our plan is to sell our house next spring then get a rent house or apartment for 6 months to a year in NY while we are getting situated and look for a house. I am saving up a large amount of money for us to live off of while we are getting settled so that things aren't rushed. As nurses I don't think you and I will have any problems finding jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues