Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,058,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuchida View Post
Last time when we moved from Atlanta to VA we did not have a very good experience with the movers...
I want to avoid all this hassle this time based on someone's experience with really good movers.
Hi. You really need to consult the information in this recent thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ro-movers.html
In moving companies, history, reputation and expertise are everything!
I wish you a happy move with good movers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,177,526 times
We moved from Vegas to Florida with a 20' car hauler trailer. Actually bought it in Vegas from someone who had just used it one time to move from FL to NV.

Sold most of our furniture, loaded it, and put the trailer in storage when we came down to look for our house. It only cost about $100/month to store it, and it allowed us to drive our 2 vehicles down when we actually moved 3 months later, with DH pulling his work trailer.

Even though the trailer cost around $6K, we still have it if we need it or can sell it if we choose to.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,551,406 times
As long as you can pack good furniture and unpack it;PODS work very well.I don't recommend open triailers to haul good furniture at all.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 52,457 times
We moved from SoCal to the Houston area last month and used ABF & Trinity Auto Transport. Everything (including wedding china, piano & auto) arrived unscathed and everyone we dealt with at both companies was very helpful and efficient. Heaven forbid we ever have to move again...but we'd use them again.

As long as you can get a crew on both ends (we hired crew in SoCal and family members/friends unloaded), ABF is a pretty economical way to go. We opted for their truck because DH was didn't want to go the container route only to find out that we didn't order enough containers. The truck ended up costing around $2800 for 20ft of the 28ft truck. Transporting the car was $700; they picked up on a Monday evening and it arrived Wednesday at 7am in Houston (we were pretty amazed at the speed).

Old 12-02-2008, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 31,165 times
Call Allied freight and get a quote from them. I used them for a move from California to New York and everything worked out perfectly. No need to move heavy furniture and everything arrived in one piece. They loaded the truck, hauled it across the US and then put the items in the rooms they belong in. We loaded our car with suitcases and pets and were on our way. Driving for days with cats in the car was the biggest headache of the trip, but by the second day they were used to it.

Good luck. Have a safe trip.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,681,653 times
we just did so cal to chicago. Budget was the best price including all the ad-ons my husband got it was about 1300, 8 days and unlimited miles. We got rid of a lot and put everything in a 16ft truck and I drove with 2 dogs and so did he. Thankfully the gas prices went down so much so we probably only spent a couple hundred dollars between the both of us. The only stuff that broke was what my darling man dropped on his way into the house.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,671 times
moving to TX from GA. Looking to move very minimal things just two bedroom and boxes of clothes. does anyone have any idea, What to do?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,317,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIL View Post
Thanks for the advise. We are planning to move to Seminole Florida. Is there anyway to find out what people typically pay for home owners insurance in that area?

I like the idea of buying an enclosed trailer. Do you know what they cost?

We just had a garage sale and donated what we did'nt sell.. What a relief to get rid of all that stuff. I started packing some things we wont need to use like extra sheets and comforters and wall decorations/knick knack type things.

Here's a hint from someone "recently moved"

If you're packing up stuff to store and move later, keep detailed lists of exactly what's in each box, not just "sheets, pillows, dishes", etc. Also, take a picture of each item. Keep all this together in a notebook and review it at least once a month, more if time permits. Then ask yourself---do I really need this? Am I willing to pay to move and store it? How will I feel on the other end when I open the box and find this?" You will find more and more stuff will be jetisoned. Don't just box up stuff with generic labels or you won't know wxactly what's in there and can't do a laast-minute inventory. Also makes it easier to keep itemized lists for donations to charities.

I call it the irritation factor. Many times I'vde been moved by professional moving companies, although our company was paying for it we still had to contend with all the stuff. The irritation I felt when, on the other end, I opened boxex and found stuff that never should have even been packed.

Just realize, because its important where your'e at now doesn't mean you have to tote it with you across the country!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,572,644 times
Sell or give away everything that won't fit in a seabag and take the bus.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM

25 posts, read 63,324 times
Here are some tips which you may find useful:

• It is advisable to start packing items you won’t be needing as early as possible. Items such as seasonal clothes, books and contents of the attic are good examples.
  • When packing boxes include a list of contents. Label boxes clearly with which room they are destined for/coming from.
  • Now is the ideal time to have a good clear out. Consider donating items to charity shops or doing a boot fair rather that throwing out good quality items.
  • Check how much notice you need to give various services and suppliers (i.e. gas, electric, telephone provider, bank, insurance companies) of your new address. A good starting point is looking at current bills and statements.
  • It is worth finding out the costs of final payments in advance if you are terminating any services, so as to avoid any nasty surprises at the last minute. Similarly, check any connection charges that may arise if you are moving to a new property.
  • Arrange for your post to be redirected by notifying the Post Office. There is likely to be a charge for this service.
  • Gather together an ‘essentials kit’ for moving day. Useful items include:
    • Passports & important documents
    • Keys
    • Important phone numbers (estate agent, solicitors, removal firm)
    • Tea/coffee, milk, sugar, mugs & spoons
    • Bottled water
    • Plates & cutlery
    • Kettle
    • Tissues/toilet roll
    • Cleaning materials including washing up detergent and tea towel
    • Favourite toy(s) for children and food/treats
    • Dust sheets for covering the carpets in the new home
    • Bedding
    • Celebratory bottle of drink & glasses for later in the evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues