Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

I know of one family, where the husband was offerred a fantastic job, and his wife said, "no go"...she had done her time in the boonies...and was done with it, no matter what her husband was offerred to stay there...he realized that three years, as a stay at home Mom, in the middle of nowhere, with no job opportunities for her, was her limit. They moved. And lived happily ever after.

It is not so much, who moves for what that drives a couple to move, decisions are based on values, and now...career, whoever is making the most money, wins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 PM

260 posts, read 656,733 times
My BIL moved to his wife's home state so she could be closer to her family.

I've been working on my husband since before we married to move to my home state, as I really do not like it here (never have, I got stuck out here with my mom), but met hubby and stayed. Oh the things we do for love!

He had me thinking we were moving up north twice before, even had a job lined up and savings for the cost of moving, but he backed out both times. He still says he would like to move to Oregon, but somehow I just don't believe it anymore and have resigned myself to just seeing my home state and family once a year or less, depending on our finances.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
When DH and I got married, we agreed that we preferred the West (where we had both lived separately) to the SouthEast where we were both born and where we ended up. Family problems and other lifestyle changes kept us there for over 20 years.

So 8 years ago I told him I was going to start looking for the farm we'd always promised each other we'd move to out West. He shrugged. "All I want is snow". So I looked for 3 years online, every week, at all sorts of places. Finally found six to look at. He didn't want to go! My daughter and I went instead. We found the place we were looking for, I signed the paperwork and started the process, went back to the South and started the process of selling off the business and house, arranging for movers, etc. He kept refusing to go - until my BF told him - "Are you CRAZY? If you don't go with her, she'll divorce you - and I WILL go! This is PERFECT!" So DH came, grumbling all the way. Grumbled the first six months. Got his shop built and his 4-wheeler and the animals to take care of, made new friends, started repairing the old farmhouse and barns, and doing what he does best. Now he won't even hear about moving back South!

Sure did disappoint my BF, though! LOL

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
Good stories, guys. Nice to both sides of the "moving for spouse" issue.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times
My hubs did for me. My job moved, he took the opportunity to return to grad school and now he studies and monitors the teenager while I for the first time in our marriage (25 years) am the majority bread winner.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
My husband is about to move for me for the third time. He moved to the West Coast to marry me. Then we moved to NC so we could buy land and have horses. Now we're moving to the PNW, this time because I want to be closer to family and I can't take the NC heat.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM

446 posts, read 709,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
There are plenty of threads on the boards with women upset over their husbands wanting to move for a job. There's usually post after post of "just do it", "he's your husband", "you love him, don't you?", "go and make the best of it". Mostly advice to be supportive and make the sacrifice for your husband. For such a "free society" as ours, we don't preach "obedience" to our husbands like they used to back in the day, but we have the same result. It's like now women are told to do everything for the sake of "love". It still ends up controlling women more than it controls men. So MEN, how many of you moved long term for your wife?
There is not enough prozac in the world to resolve your issues.

This is a moving forum. Please find yourself a 'crazy feminist' forum to spill your bile. There are many to choose from.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
I did. I reluctantly went and matter of fact i was very upset for 6 months. Eventually, i came to realize the move was for the best but like i said it did take awhile.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
DH moved here for me. When he was offered several transfer opportunities, I did not want to move, so we have stayed. Since I am planning on retiring this year, we might end up moving somewhere else, but he really seems to like this area.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
Biggest mistake I ever made...go to my death bed over this.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues