Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,190 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of threads on the boards with women upset over their husbands wanting to move for a job. There's usually post after post of "just do it", "he's your husband", "you love him, don't you?", "go and make the best of it". Mostly advice to be supportive and make the sacrifice for your husband. For such a "free society" as ours, we don't preach "obedience" to our husbands like they used to back in the day, but we have the same result. It's like now women are told to do everything for the sake of "love". It still ends up controlling women more than it controls men. So MEN, how many of you moved long term for your wife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,540 times
I did for my ex. I saw it as a opportunity to leave my hometown.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,900,636 times
It's all about the samolians. Well, most of it anyway.
If Momma has the better paying job or some unique opportunity...

Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,670,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
There are plenty of threads on the boards with women upset over their husbands wanting to move for a job. There's usually post after post of "just do it", "he's your husband", "you love him, don't you?", "go and make the best of it". Mostly advice to be supportive and make the sacrifice for your husband. For such a "free society" as ours, we don't preach "obedience" to our husbands like they used to back in the day, but we have the same result. It's like now women are told to do everything for the sake of "love". It still ends up controlling women more than it controls men. So MEN, how many of you moved long term for your wife?
Moving anywhere must make sense other than which partner is trying to get the upper hand.

Besides, there are to many cry babies when it comes to personal sacrifice for the good of the family anyway.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,650,416 times
I'd step in front of a train for her, moving would be easy

Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 PM

830 posts, read 1,727,190 times
so far only one person actually moved for their wife?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM

448 posts, read 851,141 times
My husband (well he wasn't the husband yet) moved to my state for me. We met and were doing the long distance relationship. I had obligations where I lived, so he moved to me. Granted, he stayed three years, he hated it. We now recently moved to the state that he moved from. If the market ever lowers in NY, he said he would move there for me, so we could be closer to family.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,323,649 times
My ex moved here for me, it was unplanned but ...well, he thought I didn't want to leave Europe and I was 18 and was clueless as to wat I wanted and scared to move to the US permanently so he stayed here for 4 years and hated it, they didn't make it easy on him here either. He was always the foreigner, the American. So we ended up moving to the US anyway. Which I'm glad we did.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM

22,664 posts, read 36,753,782 times
I'm sure it's far less common for the woman to be the bread winner who needs to move. I have worked for 3 women who moved because of their careers, no questions asked. One husband was able to transfer with his job, another was a SAHD and the 3rd worked for the same company so transfers were easy.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,829,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
My daughter is career Air Force and her husband is going to school and being a stay at home dad to their three daughters. He is moving with her to England in a few months.

I think he's a FANTASTIC husband and father! They put things in the right perspective - focus on what's best for the kids, and choose the best career to support - and her career choice was the best, since she can retire at AGE 37.

I am very proud of both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues