U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,573,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
the "cheapest" way is to have aaa gold and have it towed every 100 miles by a new tow company. Time consuming, but won't cost you more money.
lololol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,451,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
lololol
Sad part is... I have known someone to do this before!! Towed their vehicle from several states away when it broke down while on vacation.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Sad part is... I have known someone to do this before!! Towed their vehicle from several states away when it broke down while on vacation.
To each his own. I guess that's how the rich stay rich. I just shipped my car from Fort Walton Beach, Fl to LV, NV. It cost me $900. The hardest part was trying to get a driver. They don't come to certain areas unless its on their route or the money is right. So glad I did because the thought of driving across country was very taxing.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 PM

7,926 posts, read 6,283,889 times
Sorry, AAA has a maximum number of tows per year, I think it's 3 or 4. After that they charge you. My mom exceeded her allowed limit! I know you were only joking.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM

13,142 posts, read 26,075,265 times
Quote:
To each his own. I guess that's how the rich stay rich. I just shipped my car from Fort Walton Beach, Fl to LV, NV. It cost me $900. The hardest part was trying to get a driver. They don't come to certain areas unless its on their route or the money is right. So glad I did because the thought of driving across country was very taxing.
Yes best way..my friend just shipped her car down to her daughter in New Orleans from NJ $800
DIL sister shipped her full size pick up from San Francisco to NJ $1100

It depends especially this time of the year when snowbirds are heading back North as many have their cars shipped.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM

238 posts, read 533,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty that I'm looking to tow from Florida to California. Just don't want wear and tear on the vehicle. What's the cheapest possible way I can do this? I've looked on UHaul's website and they want to charge me something like $1600 to rent a 16' Truck and a two wheel tow dolly. That's kind of expensive! What are my options?

I thought about buying a used two wheel tow dolly and possibly saving myself a few hundred dollars and renting a smaller UHaul truck and just NOT telling UHaul about it. Any suggestions?

Is Dinghy towing an option?
Get a friend to drive it and pay for a one way plane ticket home.

It probably won't be much cheaper than shipping it, but your friend might actually enjoy doing it.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM

16,102 posts, read 21,690,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by william1971 View Post
OK, so the only reason why someone should tow their car cross country is if it's gold plated. Can I ask you Grandpa if you're senile?

Not only is my Jeep in perfect running condition, it's paid off! So, to answer your question and the question of some of the others - NO, I'm keeping the car - it's not an option.

I have made the decision to tow it and it's final. I just want to find the cheapest method of towing it to California.
If it is in that good of shape, have a friend drive it. Figure out what that would cost in gas. Then bite the bullet and tow it behind your moving truck. Can't have it both ways.
And asking someone if their senile when they have been good enough to respond to your posted question is just plain rude. Good luck

Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
If it is in that good of shape, have a friend drive it. Figure out what that would cost in gas. Then bite the bullet and tow it behind your moving truck. Can't have it both ways.
And asking someone if their senile when they have been good enough to respond to your posted question is just plain rude. Good luck
William1971's response wasn't well thought out but I have to admit I thought the suggestion to sell his car was off base as well; especially in this economy. Just goes to show that us younger folks are actually cost conscious unlike 10 years ago. In Grandpa's defense, he must be doing well financially. Kudos to him

Old 04-07-2013, 11:21 PM

3,295 posts, read 5,065,103 times
While you could tow without telling the rental company, if you get into an accident or there is damage to your vehicle, you could be SOL.

Cheapest option might be to contact a shipper. I've used U Ship with success and you might also list something and see what bids you might come up with. You said FL to CA and that's roughly 2,500 miles or so. From what I've gathered, most shippers would like to get $1.00/mile for them to be able to make anything. Remember, they have to return to FL after bringing your vehicle to CA.

You can also Google auto transporters or vehicle shippers and start e-mailing shippers. You might actually end up speaking with a broker instead of the shipper himself, though. The broker will try to sync your times that you need the car picked up/dropped off to what shippers are running that route.

FL to CA is just about a straight shot on I-10, obviously, it depends specifically where you're shipping from/to but at least you're not totally out of the way.

When I moved myself during military moves, I used a car transporter, not a dolly. The U Haul truck I used to tow the trailer got about 10 MPG but that was with a full truck of my household goods.

With the price of gas these days, low shipping costs may be the exception rather than the rule.

Either way, I don't think you're going to get it done for less than $2,000 due to the distance whether you do it yourself or have it shipped.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 PM

9,728 posts, read 18,794,477 times
Quote:
William1971's response wasn't well thought out but I have to admit I thought the suggestion to sell his car was off base as well; especially in this economy. Just goes to show that us younger folks are actually cost conscious unlike 10 years ago. In Grandpa's defense, he must be doing well financially. Kudos to him
No, Grandpa's suggestion was perfectly reasonable. He did ask the condition of the car and if it was really worth towing a long distance. William asked for suggestions. When he got one he didn't like he quickly resorted to name-calling.

It's a '72 Jeep. Jeeps probably sell for about the same in Florida as they do in California, so selling it in Florida and buying a new one in California is a reasonable consideration vs. spending upwards of $1600 to tow it. And that wouldn't include the extra fuel, so let's say $2000. Strictly from a financial viewpoint, it would likely be cheaper to sell it and buy a new one after the move.

But that's not a suggestion, because Willy has now stated that it's not an option.

Frankly, I wouldn't offer any suggestion at this point. William can figure it out on his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues