Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM

186 posts, read 470,699 times

Advertisements

During my last move, I really learned alot about the process. I had a horrible experience with the crew that packed my house up, but a great experience by the crew that did the unpacking. My stuff was in storage for months, thats why there were two different crews. My packing crew took breaks every hour. Months after the move was finished, my child told me that while on break, the packers were engaging in illegal drug use. No wonder alot of boxes were marked "stuff" and items that were packed together came from different rooms and floors. So I learned that if and when I move again, 1) watch the movers more serioulsy 2) questions the descritptions on the boxes while they are being packed 3) be more visable during the process.

What things did you learn and vowed to be more aware of if and when you move again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
We moved a month ago from Nebraska to the UP Michigan-packed up a four-bedroom house and used U-Haul-I would have loved to have used a moving company but the price was just way too expensive for us. One thing I did learn was that U-Haul had a little button below the choice of truck I had made that asked if we were negotiable on the place we returned the truck to, and by driving an extra 97 miles to return it to Green Bay WI, we saved almost 700 dollars- so it paid to be negotiable, lol, and all it basically cost us was a little extra time and driving. Other than that, the one thing I learned in our move?

NEVER do it again, lol!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times
We have moved three times in the last year. My best advice is to start packing early so you don't have to rush and can pack properly. I was diligent in marking boxes and their contents. We knew this last move would be temporary so I made sure to mark all contents in each box, then I numbered the box and kept a list.

I tried to pack each room at one time so that most of the items for that room were together. It was very helpful since some of our stuff was going to storage and some staying. I also purged a lot. Less to pack and move! And, I packed in boxes that were the same size so that they stacked easily. Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
We have moved 8 times in 5 years and I have done all of the packing myself, we did all of the loading and unloading and I unpacked everything myself. We have too many things that cannot be replaced that belonged to my husband's Parents, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles that are more than 80+ years old. I set a date that we are going to move and I start packing about 6 weeks before we move. One room at a time with all boxes numbered and which room. All kept in a binder with a list of all items in each box by number and room. I pack 2 separate boxes to be put in our vehicle, one is for all necessary toilitries and kitchen items that will be needed immediately such as the coffee maker, coffee cups, 2 bowls, 2 plates, 2 glasses, 2 sets of silverware, dish soap, dish towel, paper towels, toilet paper, fresh linens, blankets and sponges. The other is a few days worth of clean clothing from unders to outers and extra shoes and double the socks and unders. When we unload all furniture is unloaded and placed first then all boxes are put in one corner of one room and I unpack and put away one box at a time and get rid of the box before I open the next box to unpack it.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Did you learn any good hints during your last move?

Yea, DON"T. I'm not moving again, so there!

Hey, but you gotta do it at least once......

Old 09-22-2012, 12:18 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,053 times
I agree! (Don't move! LOL) We moved couple years ago - and now I have GREAT sympathy when I see a U-haul truck going down the road!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:45 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Call to get your internet, phone and TV hooked up ASAP. OUrs took 2 1/2 weeks and then broke down that night. Maybe in larger metros the time would be quicker.
Mark everything in boxes if you can. My husband threw extras in boxes to make them tight and I had no clue what was in some of them as I opened them.
Make it an adventure, reframe the event in your mind.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:53 AM

One more thing I do and this is purely for my pleasure:

I will toss in a package of candy or a candy bar here and there in the boxes. A snickers, milky way, pay day, m&m's, skor, bubble gum, licorice, just whatever you like. That way when you find a package of candy you know it is time to sit down and take a break from unpacking and putting things away and have a treat.

Don't cheat and put candy in EVERY box though, then it isn't fun when you find the prize in the packing box (instead of the cracker jacks box).

Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
I've moved quite a few times and one thing I've found is when you go looking for boxes (this last move is the only time I've ever bought boxes. Too many free ones out there) liquor store boxes are sturdier. If you can get your grocer to save you some produce boxes, those are pretty strong too.
Really the best way I have found to move is to get the boxes to my wife and get my butt out of the way! lol She packs the boxes, I haul them to the trailer. Our last move was 60 miles and we used our Toyota Rav4 and a 5'x7' open trailer I use for my riding mower. We decided after many many trips back and forth that it would have been cheaper in the long run to rent a U Haul truck.
I have always said the best way to wipe out major crime in this country isn't the death penalty. Convicted of murder? Make them move people for 5 years! Crime will be gone in no time! lol

Old 09-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I've moved quite a few times and one thing I've found is when you go looking for boxes (this last move is the only time I've ever bought boxes. Too many free ones out there)store liquor boxes are sturdier. If you can get your grocer to save you some produce boxes, those are pretty strong too.
Really the best way I have found to move is to get the boxes to my wife and get my butt out of the way! lol She packs the boxes, I haul them to the trailer. Our last move was 60 miles and we used our Toyota Rav4 and a 5'x7' open trailer I use for my riding mower. We decided after many many trips back and forth that it would have been cheaper in the long run to rent a U Haul truck.
I have always said the best way to wipe out major crime in this country isn't the death penalty. Convicted of murder? Make them move people for 5 years! Crime will be gone in no time! lol
Egg boxes are very good as well, they are a good size and have handles, Pampers Pull up boxes have handle and are good for light weight items and if you can find them Fiji bottled water boxes are sturdy, smaller but sturdy.

You and my husband have to be related somewhere down the line, this exactly what he does and it is a very wise choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues