Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnPr View Post
Majority of my family is military and I do have a recruiting officer but I doubt Ill enlist. Just because your girlfriend was taking it by someone else while you were in the army doesn't mean anything for anyone else so don't bring that kind of crap up. You sound like a real douche when you give those types of responses when people are looking for help.

You're 19 years old. You don't need help. At what age do you think you might get around to growing up and taking responsibility for your own life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 PM

13 posts, read 16,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You're homesick and I think that happens to everyone. You need to take a deep breath and make a list of the positives and the negatives. So, I'm guessing the girlfriend is a high school sweetheart? You know that kind of deal doesn't always work especially since you won't be in the hallways anymore and you'll be exposed to new people so I would not put all my money on that relationship being long-term. She must be maybe 15 or 16 years old? How will you feel if that relationship breaks down in the next 6 months or so? Still worth going back for? You are homesick so regroup and try not to be so emotional. Growing up is hard but worthwhile in the end.

Thanks for the input! I get where your coming from but she is also 19 and we went to different schools. I actually dated a different girl for three years so I am familiar with the whole high school relationship thing and thats how I know this is entirely different. I understand that most people would say that moving on is the best option in fact thats what I would tell people but its just not an option given everything me and this girl have had.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Oh 3 weeks?
Oops. Missed that part.

Give it some time dude.

well thats why I was thinking I should stay until December and if I still don't like it I would move back up in time to start school in January.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
I moved away for college and left a boyfriend behind too. The first few weeks were hard, but we made the best of it by speaking on the phone a couple of times a week (doing it everyday was too hard and too expensive!). I kept myself busy by making friends, getting a job, volunteering, and joining campus organizations. Before I knew it days turned into weeks, then into months, and I wasn't as sad.

As for the boyfriend, we celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary in May.

If it's meant to be, it'll happen. Just give it time and find ways to keep busy so you can enjoy yourself.

Good luck!!
Thats great! I know communication is key. We spend hours a day on the phone which helps a lot. I know it can work out if we both put in the effort but I think I would just be better off If I was closer and if its an option then why not do it?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You're 19 years old. You don't need help. At what age do you think you might get around to growing up and taking responsibility for your own life?
Age is irrelevant. If I wasn't looking for help then I wouldn't be asking for it. I do take responsibility for many things in my life Im just looking for opinions to help me in the right direction.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
O.K., cutting out all the dramma of this, what it comes down to is that, you aint getting any cause the girlfriend is back in Maine. Isn't that what it all boils down to?
It's not the place,
It's not the job,
It's nott he weather,
It's not mom and dad, or the relatives,
It's not the money,

It's the girl...

Well, guess what, There are many many more girls out there. In time, she's more likely to dump you for Fred or Billy, so stick the fork in it and call it done, Move On, your too young to let the first squeeze cause you to abandon your dreams!

I like your honestly. Its not just about not getting any though its about losing the one thing that you actually had and was meaningful in your life. I know you can say it sounds dumb because of my age but read the comment I posted to someone else. Ive been in relationships most of my life and Im more then confident that this is something that I need. I have everything up there that I do down here its just different lifestyle so why would I be miserable when I could be up there happy?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:22 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnPr View Post
I like your honestly. Its not just about not getting any though its about losing the one thing that you actually had and was meaningful in your life. I know you can say it sounds dumb because of my age but read the comment I posted to someone else. Ive been in relationships most of my life and Im more then confident that this is something that I need. I have everything up there that I do down here its just different lifestyle so why would I be miserable when I could be up there happy?
Why did you come here and ask for advice if you've already made the decision? There are a lot of older people here with a lot more experience than you who are telling you you should stick it out. You should listen.

First of all, a loving relationship can be a wonderful thing. But if this woman is the only meaningful part of your life then you have issues you need to work on. If this woman and your relationship are as wonderful as you say then the distance won't break you up. If it does then it wasn't meant to be and guess what? You're 19. You think you know everything but you don't. There are lots and lots of other fish in the sea if this doesn't work out. You need this person or you're going to be miserable? That's unhealthy. It sounds like you have a great opportunity here to go to school and meet some new people. You need to embrace that. And like I said before 3 weeks is NOT enough time to give up on a new place. You made the decision and invested the money to move. Being an adult is sticking it out. Not saying you stick it out forever but more than 3 weeks!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Most people take four to six months to really settle in to a new city or new school. Sometimes, even one semester is not enough but you have to stay for at least two or three months to even start to get a true "feel"of the place.

If your relationship is solid being apart won't matter. My boyfriend and I never lived in the same city (several years in different states), while we dated for eight years, until our wedding night. We have been married for 35 years.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Why did you come here and ask for advice if you've already made the decision? There are a lot of older people here with a lot more experience than you who are telling you you should stick it out. You should listen.

First of all, a loving relationship can be a wonderful thing. But if this woman is the only meaningful part of your life then you have issues you need to work on. If this woman and your relationship are as wonderful as you say then the distance won't break you up. If it does then it wasn't meant to be and guess what? You're 19. You think you know everything but you don't. There are lots and lots of other fish in the sea if this doesn't work out. You need this person or you're going to be miserable? That's unhealthy. It sounds like you have a great opportunity here to go to school and meet some new people. You need to embrace that. And like I said before 3 weeks is NOT enough time to give up on a new place. You made the decision and invested the money to move. Being an adult is sticking it out. Not saying you stick it out forever but more than 3 weeks!
I havent made an official decision on anything. Thats the problem. I should have visited first for a while instead of packing everything and officially moving. Like I said I like the lifestyle down here but right now its a lot different then what I expected because usually when I came down it was for vacation but little things are just pissing me off everywhere I go and the very boring area I live in. Its not all about the girl even if I left her out of it I still think I would be miserable. I think I should try a semester of school that starts in a couple of weeks and ends in December and If I still find myself unhappy then that would give me time to move back up in December and start school up there in January. What do you think of that? and If I go back up there it wouldn't be hard to get an apartment with friends. I just feel myself being a lot happier doing that.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:21 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
You have to give a place at least a year to really decide if you like it. It takes a long time to meet people and get used to a town. And don't let the girlfriend thing stop you. You're 19 and too young to settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues