Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,667 times

Advertisements

As many of you know, there is no "official" regulating organization that monitors moving companies anymore. Thus, there are many scams out there. I did some reseach on the internet and was suprised to read all the horror stories (people were overcharged once their goods were on the truck, damaged/lost/stolen equipment, etc).

I am moving out to Dallas in a few weeks and have been asking around for referrals for moving companies. Everyone, even those that recently used one, cannot recommend a reliable one.

Is there anyone on here who recently used a dependable interstate moving company and would recommend it?
If so, PM me.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,384 times
Where are you moving from? We have used Atlas nationally and no problems. My girlfriend used a local one to move from Dallas to a different place in Dallas and then recently to Plano. If you are local I can ask her and P.M. which company or companies those were as I knew she had no problems.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 PM

261 posts, read 1,515,667 times
I am moving from NY to TX

Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,716 times
We moved out from Northern California twice (my Mom out here in January and drove out again in March for us). We had movers pack a 26' truck (and in our case an additional trailer) from Penske, we drove it out and had packers unpack the truck once we got here. We did this specifically because my Mom was terrified of having her things held by some company that was demanding more money once she got here.

All told including gas and staying in Hampton Inn type business suite hotels along the way, it cost us about 4K to move out here.

Honestly, I didn't want to drive out in the first place this way, but afterward it was really very nice just seeing a part of the country that I normally wouldn't. It made for some great family memories along the way.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,538 times
When we moved from NY we used Smart Move. They just provide the pods (I think that's what they call them!). We did the packing/unpacking, but I guess you can hire someone.
We drove our own car, and took our time along the way. It did make for some great memories.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,404 times
Hi Rob-- We have moved twice (corporate paid both times) and we used United on a short move (less than 200 miles) and most recently we used Atlas (1000 miles). Both IMO did a 'good' job. With United we had zero issues. With Atlas the actual movers were great (a dad and son team) but we did have a HUGE problem with them at first. The day we were supposed to move out of our home out packer walked off the job at his prior job which left us with 1 packer for our entire home! Yikes! I am not sure about price since we did not pay the bill.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Yikes about packers walking off!! That is scary.

I really don't know price either as it's been company provided. I *think* my boss who moved from south of Hoston to North Carolina paid around $8K. She had 5000 square feet of house including a grand piano which I think shipped separately.

Last edited by USA_Mom; 10-05-2007 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Adding where boss moved TO.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,404 times
Even though that price is *shocking*--it sounds about right. When you do the corporate move you do really get spoiled!!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM

224 posts, read 777,439 times
We just moved from Illinois to Texas. We were moved by Atlas and were very pleased.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyogi View Post
Even though that price is *shocking*--it sounds about right. When you do the corporate move you do really get spoiled!!
Yeah my husband thinks it's insane, until I add up JUST kitchen equipment (i.e., pots, knives, dishes). We don't have $8K of kitchen stuff, but it illustrated to him replacement value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues