Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

No crystal ball. I just make decisions and go full steam ahead. Don't second guess yourself. I am confident enough that I feel like I could move almost anywhere and get a good job within two months. If you have that confidence, take a leap of faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
First you say you have substantial savings then say you don't have $5000 'laying around'
If you really had to, rather than just chose to, put that on a CC, I'd highly suggest you not move without a job secured.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
First you say you have substantial savings then say you don't have $5000 'laying around'
If you really had to, rather than just chose to, put that on a CC, I'd highly suggest you not move without a job secured.
The substantial savings can't be touched until I retire, so we have to make due with what I currently bring in with my current employment. Can't accumulate $5K when I'm busy supporting my family, putting my wife through school, creating savings for my kids' future, as well as having already established and paid off two college prepaids for them, all on one income.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No crystal ball. I just make decisions and go full steam ahead. Don't second guess yourself. I am confident enough that I feel like I could move almost anywhere and get a good job within two months. If you have that confidence, take a leap of faith.
I get what you're saying; thanks for the encouragement. Seems like I'm dealing more with breaking away from a routine established for over 22 years. The more opportunities I get to "sleep on it," the more it becomes clear to make the move to North Carolina. My wife is completely behind the idea of us moving up there as well, and she's been right, oh, about 99.9% of the time since we've been together.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:50 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
We did just what you want to do. Granted, we had a few assets to sell and therefore were able to move to a place with no mortgage and some extra to keep us going. We lived in Ny for 25 years and wanted to get off the rat race.

We moved to Pittsburgh with two kids ; 12 and 13. Neither of us have jobs but we arent looking very hard at the moment. Our logic is to get the kids settled first and then start looking harder. We are here 7 weeks now. We both love it,the kids love their new school and we are very happy. Its a huge adjustment though. We are paying for our healthcare as we reached the deductible for the year and it is a hsa type healthcare. While our bills are nothing like they were in NY, it is hard not to have that weekly paycheck. Not hard financially, just mentally knowing that there is not a paycheck coming on friday.
Like you, we do not have huge debt ; no car loans, no student loans etc.

While the kids are in school, dh and I go touring most days. It is a pleasure to get up in the morning and say ; what will we do today. I have worked since I was 15 so it is weird not to have a job. My dh is liking not working, but also knows that these days wont last. We try to make the most of them.

It took us a few years to get to this stage. Sometimes you have to follow your heart if you can financially afford it. We bought a house that was smaller than what we really wanted, didnt have the wow factor but was very comfortable financially and we knew if we bought at a higher price, it would be a strain.

sorry its long.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Sounds like it's just this job offer that is making you have second thoughts.
What would you be liable for if you call off this house sale?
Do you have a contract with a Realtor that would hold you to the commission?Any other prroblems if you cancel?
Just getting a house sold lately is an accomplishment you might not be able to easily accomplish again if you hold off.
I don't envy you for having had this temptation thrown in your path after you already had your plans set.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
The substantial savings can't be touched until I retire...
Then it is NOT savings. It's a retirement fund.
You still need a job. Move where you know you have one.

(And you need savings too)

Old 08-25-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Sounds like it's just this job offer that is making you have second thoughts.
What would you be liable for if you call off this house sale?
Do you have a contract with a Realtor that would hold you to the commission?Any other prroblems if you cancel?
Just getting a house sold lately is an accomplishment you might not be able to easily accomplish again if you hold off.
I don't envy you for having had this temptation thrown in your path after you already had your plans set.
The house sale will go through regardless, because we want out of the Orlando area, period. It's just a matter of picking a location, Sarasota or Raleigh. At this point, I leaning towards Raleigh. I believe my happiness, as well as my family's, will be there. In my profession, I've met a lot of rich people over the years whose lives are a complete disaster; money is not the answer.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then it is NOT savings. It's a retirement fund.
You still need a job. Move where you know you have one.

(And you need savings too)
Actually, they're both. My pension will carry me throughout the rest of my life, and I've set aside money to carry us through the lean times, to take care of extra costs for my kids' college and any unexpected bills (Daddy, I need braces!!!!). I feel as if I've worked three lifetimes; that's how many hours I put in through the years. It's time I pull back the throttle.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,806,215 times
My 2 cents. Have you researched possible jobs in NC when you do decide to seek employment ? When DH and I
were in Western NC, 2008, many folks moving from Florida to NC.

For myself, great, cool weather in the Pacific NW, though for myself, still praying about moving to NC or somewhere
in the Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues