Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM

29 posts, read 118,745 times

Advertisements

Boy have I really learned my lesson with all this. Long story short-I was diagnosed with breast cancer 8 weeks after having my son. After chemo, surgery, and half way through radiation my husband's job was transferred. So-he would come home on weekends, we did this for 6 months. Between recovering from my BC, having a baby/toddler, and not having family in the area-I did not have much time to research most of this. We hired a portable moving service because we had to be out of our house 5 days before we could get into our new one.
We then hired what I am figuring out now a moving broker company. I looked at the FMSCA website, and do believe I am going to file a complaint. I believe they are violating regulations. We got an estimate from them over the phone, and they then "sold" our move to a company near us to pack and unpack us. The broker company did not follow many of the FMSCA regulations from what it seems. I am unable to ride my bike-but the rest of it (like the scratches) arent that bad. I wish I had a lawyer in my family .
Anyway-I really appreciate the time you have all taken to write a response to help me. Again-stupid, stupid, stupid I am. There are worse things in life, but I sure feel like I got screwed on this whole thing. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM

521 posts, read 4,402,695 times
Good luck with your recovery! As a cancer survivor, I understand your struggles and the inner strength that comes from beating the disease.

The company brokerage company that you hired to arrange your labor was purchased by the transport company that moved the containers they loaded.

Both are well established, reputable companies and, I believe, both will be fair in the adjudication of your claim under the terms of the valuation coverage you purchased.

Make sure that you read and understand ALL of the documents you signed. Your best bet for a settlement that is equitable to all parties is to be honest about both the damage and value of the items you're claiming. Make sure that you file within the required time period listed on the bill of lading.

If scratches are your worst complaint, consider your life lesson pretty easy to adjust to.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM

29 posts, read 118,745 times
Thanks RikkiTikki. Congrats on your cancer survival as well. I am trying to decide whether or not to claim anything but my bike, the rest are "just scratches". I am thankful that is all that happened because we had an awful experience with the moving(packing/unpackin) people and our container people. Although we paid a good amt of money for the full valuation protection. I agree about being as homest as possible. I do know that what you put out in the universe-it does give back. Good things do come to good people. So do bad things, but it makes you appreciate the good ones even more. Again, thanks for all your help.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM

521 posts, read 4,402,695 times
Before you file a consumer protection complaint with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, you (and anyone else planning a relocation online) need to be aware that many of "pseudo" or "quasi" moving services advertised by well-optimized container transportation and third party labor service companies like those you hired ARE NOT regulated by the consumer protection regulations for the transportation of household goods in interstate commerce under 49CFR375 like licensed full-service household goods movers are.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 558 times
Default basic valuation

how does basic coverage of 60 cents per pound really works? what if its and old item but is heavy? do they still compensate me for the weight? does that protection also cover damages in my home such as holes on the wall ect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues