Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM

12 posts, read 18,117 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have horses. We are avid riders. We love Cowboy Mounted Shooting! I HATE HEAT! On humid L.I. I don't go out if it's 85 degrees or more. I HATE the snow that we get, it's measured in feet! I don't mind some snow, I love the seasons and their changes, but I LOVE spring and fall the best.

We're sick and tired of the expense of living here and want to go to a place that's less expensive, but still has good job opportunities. My husband is in outside sales and is exceptionally good at it. He is also an avid golfer!

We are thinking of renting a small farmette or a gentleman's farm because of our three horses, two large dogs, and our love of horseback riding. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?
I'm perplexed. We need to work, but we need a rural, farmy place for our animals and us to live. Would like moderate temperatures and want to be able to live better than we are.
We have a modest house, upside down in the mortgage, its on less than an acre of land and our property taxes are over $10,000 in a very bad school district. Of course we have the highest electric costs in the country. We make over $130K a year and are living from paycheck to paycheck. We don't vacation, don't shop for much other than groceries, go to the movies a few times a year. We have one car (not new) with payments and a truck that's paid off, I can barely scrape up airfare to see my son in San Diego, CA once a year. This place is sucking the life out of us!
HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 PM

510 posts, read 901,438 times
Hi. I left LI 10 years ago.....I would say it's going to be hard to find a place with low humidity and no snow or little snow on the east coast. Not sure if you're looking to move west to be near your son. Not sure on how to guide you for location but..

my advice would be to look at salaries/employment for the jobs you and your husband are going to get where ever you decide to move, then look at housing cost vs. salary--and be realistic. Also have a job lined up with a salary commitment so you know how much house you can afford. I made it a point when I left LI not ever to be house poor again. You don't want to get stuck in the same situation your in now. The point to get off the Island is to have a better life
Where I live you have to have 2 acres to have a horse, and 2 acres is not cheap, if you can find it.

also look at locations that are in need of your profession/skill. that would be a good place to start, then narrow them down by climate. I would pick secure job/good income over climate

Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLadyD View Post
My husband and I have horses. We are avid riders. We love Cowboy Mounted Shooting! I HATE HEAT! On humid L.I. I don't go out if it's 85 degrees or more. I HATE the snow that we get, it's measured in feet! I don't mind some snow, I love the seasons and their changes, but I LOVE spring and fall the best.

We're sick and tired of the expense of living here and want to go to a place that's less expensive, but still has good job opportunities. My husband is in outside sales and is exceptionally good at it. He is also an avid golfer!

We are thinking of renting a small farmette or a gentleman's farm because of our three horses, two large dogs, and our love of horseback riding. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?
I'm perplexed. We need to work, but we need a rural, farmy place for our animals and us to live. Would like moderate temperatures and want to be able to live better than we are.
We have a modest house, upside down in the mortgage, its on less than an acre of land and our property taxes are over $10,000 in a very bad school district. Of course we have the highest electric costs in the country. We make over $130K a year and are living from paycheck to paycheck. We don't vacation, don't shop for much other than groceries, go to the movies a few times a year. We have one car (not new) with payments and a truck that's paid off, I can barely scrape up airfare to see my son in San Diego, CA once a year. This place is sucking the life out of us!
HELP!
Something will have to give on your wish list and I think it's going to have to be the 85 degree limit. There are places where it's milder but they're not going to be cheaper and would question the work opportunity in some of those places due to competition for jobs. Can you get past the heat issue if it's less humid (not near water like Long Island) and shorter duration (two months or so)? If so I would recommend the west central area of North Carolina between Winston Salem, Charlotte and Asheville which offers a moderate four season climate (beautiful springs and falls, very little snow comparatively speaking), many farm options and work opportunity in one of the three metro areas, depending upon which is closest to where you wind up. The cost of living is much less and it's a beautiful area with nice people.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
That's a really tough one, as the Rocky Mt. West and the Southwest are getting really hot and expensive. A lot of it is also cold in the winter, as well. Places you might explore, the Willamette Valley in OR. There are several small cities there, like Albany and Corvallis. Bend, in Eastern OR is another possibility. Vancouver, WA, just over the northern border of OR and next door to Portland is another location that fit and also, points East along the Columbia River from Portland. That actually may be your best bet. The summers are nice, but the winters are rainy, but often not too cold.

There's a lot of hobby farms in all these areas.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:28 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Lexington, KY

Old 11-20-2014, 05:53 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,243 times
Quote:

HELP!
We feel your pain! In Queens, hate it.

I know you said you don't like heat, but, you might want to look into Las Vegas.
The summers do get hot but it really is a dry heat. Much more bearable than the humid soup we get here. The rest of the year is no problem and really no snow or ice to speak of.
We spent two summers there and seriously considered relocating.
Stayed in the Southern Highlands area and saw many properties with horses.
Expenses are much cheaper than here and there is no state income tax.
Schools not so great if you have kids and job situation is iffy if you need employment.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
A few places in the southwest come to mind: Silver City, NM; Prescott, AZ, and Tehachapi, CA.
Just some places closer to your kid with room to roam.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:04 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:

HELP!
We were in a similar place. From LI. Upside down on our mortgage but taxes of 20 grand a year. I really feel for you.

I wanted seasons. I was not attracted to the south. My favorite seasons are yours.

So we chose North Eastern Ohio.

Here's why -

1. Beautiful seasons!

2. Less snow than LI. But your Christmas will most likely be white.

3. People are not extreme politically and are very tolerant.

4. they do not hate NYers. Or Long Isanders. In fact, they like us!

5. Pretty area - think Long Island's North Shore or Connecticut.

6. Good culture, restaurants and entertainment.

7. The ability to travel and do fun things in general. On the Island, we earned about the same as you do. A little more but my taxes were 20 thousand. We had an inground poor and lived in Stony Brook.
But still, THAT IS CRAZY!
My 4000 square foot home was bought for 700,000. Here you could get the same type of house for less than half of that. LESS.

8. Convenience. Good shopping. Flights to NY are cheap. Cleveland Clinic rules - good health care.

I haven't been involved with horses since HS, but riding is popular here. Horse property is actually affordable. Horse culture is alive and well. You will fit in.

If you want any other information about the area, please feel free to send me a direct message.

PS Lake Erie is AWESOME. Big and beautiful. No it is not the ocean, but it's a lot larger than the LI sound.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We were in a similar place. From LI. Upside down on our mortgage but taxes of 20 grand a year. I really feel for you.

I wanted seasons. I was not attracted to the south. My favorite seasons are yours.

So we chose North Eastern Ohio.

Here's why -

1. Beautiful seasons!

2. Less snow than LI. But your Christmas will most likely be white.

3. People are not extreme politically and are very tolerant.

4. they do not hate NYers. Or Long Isanders. In fact, they like us!

5. Pretty area - think Long Island's North Shore or Connecticut.

6. Good culture, restaurants and entertainment.

7. The ability to travel and do fun things in general. On the Island, we earned about the same as you do. A little more but my taxes were 20 thousand. We had an inground poor and lived in Stony Brook.
But still, THAT IS CRAZY!
My 4000 square foot home was bought for 700,000. Here you could get the same type of house for less than half of that. LESS.

8. Convenience. Good shopping. Flights to NY are cheap. Cleveland Clinic rules - good health care.

I haven't been involved with horses since HS, but riding is popular here. Horse property is actually affordable. Horse culture is alive and well. You will fit in.

If you want any other information about the area, please feel free to send me a direct message.

PS Lake Erie is AWESOME. Big and beautiful. No it is not the ocean, but it's a lot larger than the LI sound.
if you live in NE Ohio, don't you get a tremendous amount of lake effect snow? My DH is from Northeast OH.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:54 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
if you live in NE Ohio, don't you get a tremendous amount of lake effect snow? My DH is from Northeast OH.
No we don't but Cleveland does. My area is not in the snow belt. It's amazing as I drive north to Cleveland that the amount of snow visibly increases. We are about thirty miles south of the snow belt and any Lake Effect weather.

As opposed to Long Island, our Summers are less humid and a few degrees cooler.

I enjoy visiting Cleveland for cultural events, and the North Coast - there is a lot to do up there in Summer, Spring and Fall. Antiques, wineries, restaurants and small towns that remind me of New England.

A good question, but no. I am safe from the snow belt and lake effect. The difference is rather distinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues