Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 12,231 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I'm moving from Texas to DC in the next couple weeks and need some advice on transporting my car. I'm using 2 men and a truck who say they can take my stuff about 3000 lbs plus my car in the truck. They collect and deliver within 72 hours and provide a door to door service so it's a bit pricey even if they don't ship the car. Has anyone ever shipped their car long distance using this method? Would you advise it or should I ship the car separately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Interesting I did not know Two Men and a Truck did this. I have shipped my car many times with transport companies. How much extra is it for your car to be shipped? Are they insured fully for your car in case of damage? Often transport companies will take longer then 72 hours because they make other stops along the way to you.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
Most interstate household goods carriers are also licensed to transport motor vehicles. The premium service is offered to ensure that a customer's vehicles arrive at the same time as the rest of their stuff.

Most consumers footing their own relocation bill hire an open car-carrier because the price is so much cheaper. Many sales people and moving companies have per-existing contracts with DOT approved car-carriers and vehicle transport brokers.

A vehicle is safer traveling in a carrier instead of inside a van. That's why you never see moving vans unloading new cars at any auto dealerships.

Contact Dependable Auto Shippers for a quote. They're based in Mesquite, just east of Dallas.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern-R View Post
2 men and a truck who say they can take ... my car in the truck.
Not likely and certainly not legally. Maybe pulling it with a dolly or on a trailer.
Regardless... drive the car.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,152 times
It might work out using Two Men and a Truck, but why take that risk? They are great at moving household goods and furniture, but when you hand your car off to someone you want to be sure they know what they are doing!

I think using a transport company is best. My vote goes to Montway Auto Transport since they shipped my SUV from California to Chicago with no problems. It was a lot less than I thought, too.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 36,302 times
Household movers usually do not transport cars unless they have a contract with an auto transport carrier and / or broker to help them transport the vehicles.

In most cases the movers will tell you which company will ship your vehicle so you know who is responsible for it. The auto transport industry is quite different from the household moving although they are close. The arranging of the shipping a car is different and depends on different factors than the arranging of the household goods moving, and in many cases, for across the country move the car can be delivered faster than the household goods.

Mod Cut
Wish you all the best in your new home!

Thanks!

Last edited by jasper12; 07-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: No advertising tos

Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I shipped an old Toyota once from TN to CA on one of the open carriers. It arrived with really faded paint from the trip across the desert. Granted, I hadn't waxed it, and it was old, but the trip across the desert really did in the paint job. Otherwise, there was no damage.

I had tenants move here to CA from GA, and they had all their stuff and their car shipped inside a truck. The car arrived with quite a few dings that the company wouldn't cover. Apparently, they shift stuff around in the truck as they go from customer to customer, so your car can get scratched, dented up going this route.

So, either way, I suppose, you would want to check your insurance coverage.

Really would be best to drive it if you could, or maybe pay someone to drive it?

I remembered there used to be driving services to drive your car for you across country. I found this one still does it:

Auto Driveaway: Shipping a Car, Vehicle Transport Companies, Auto Transport Rates, Car Shipping Rates | autodriveaway.com

You can choose to have the car driven or trucked.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:07 PM

70 posts, read 278,281 times
I've used this company with success. Price was competitive.
4 Corners Transport Services LLC
Phone360) 882-2584
Fax: (360) 597-4376
Email: info@fourcornerstransportservices.com
www.fourcornerstransportservices.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues