Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times

Advertisements

It's nothing. All it is, is a lot of miles. And it's something to remember. I've lived and driven all over the country. Coast to coast, top to bottom, and almost everywhere in between. I'd take the I-80 or I-40 routes that google maps suggests. I-80 takes you through UT and CO, I-40 takes you through AZ, NM, and OK. Both routes eventually meet. I-80 is more scenic.

Unless you're stopping for sit down meals twice a day, you should be able to make 700-800 miles a day at the speed limit. That's 4-5 days. Five days is if you are taking it easy.

I'd take I-40 because of the time of year. Not much precipitation in the desert southwest, in October. You will go all the way to 7000 feet on that route, but it's still not as cold at that time of year, as it is on the I-80 route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,720 times
I only drove from NE Ohio to Arizona. About 700 miles a day St. Clair, Missouri on day one. Ammarillo, Texas on day two, and Tucson on day three. Not a bad drive. About 40 hours of driving time. Many hours under the limit because of traffic.

I would not have wanted another person with me. I only stopped when I wanted to. Get some new cd's and enjoy the trip.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
I've done 1000 - 1800 mile stretches at a time by myself. At about the 16 hour mark, you're just fighting to stay awake. Even if you're only doing 800 miles a day, that means you get up at dawn, drive until after dark, sleep, repeat. There's nothing romantic or empowering about it.

If you do want to drive, can you take a week and a half to two weeks to see the country? That would be the only reason I'd want to drive across country again. Good stuff to have is car charger for cell phone, GPS, AAA Plus (100 miles of towing instead of 3), warm blanket, water, toilet paper, and toothbrush.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:13 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I think sometimes in order to save time or money, we don't allow enough sleep and rest time when travelling across the country. Especially if you have been moving or doing other stressful activities like changing jobs. Even a positive move is stressful.

I suggest taking it easy. And stopping halfway some place for a day or two, just to chill. Accidents are more likely to happen when tired. That is a hassle!

Once I was driving from Seattle to Salt Lake, about a 12 or 14 hour drive. I thought I could do it in a day. I stopped for coffee about 60 miles away from SLC, drank the coffee, and fell dead asleep in the parking lot of a 7-11. Sitting straight up in my seat. I had no clue I was that exhausted. I woke up at around 5 am. That was a wake up call to me.

Better to be careful. Plan for rest.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,468 times
I moved from San Diego to Western North Carolina via Interstate 40 a year ago. I did the same analysis as you, and the folks that ship cars don't want your personal stuff in the vehilce being shipped, right? So I put everything in my SUV and headed for my first cross country drive alone. It took four and a half days. I didn't stop to see anyone or to see any sights. Drove right through the big cities, as I didn't want to get caught up in traffic/congestion of a big city and didn't feel comfortable with all my personal stuff packed into a vehicle with out of state plates (Read: Target). I stayed in moderately priced hotels, always outside of town... And as close to the front door as possibe and preferably under a light. I made certain my cell phone always had a charge. You may want to check your carriers nationwide service map to be sure you'll have service on your route. Before I left San Diego, I bought a $30 Sirius portable radio that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. It came with a free one month subscription. Turns out I didn't use it much as I it turned out quiet is my favorite sound. It's great you have AAA roadside assistance. I ran out of gas once in the middle of nowhere along a endless seam of highway in Oklahoma. It was hot and I couldn't get a cell signal to call Auto Club. Ten minutes later, a man my age (60) pulls up on a Honda Goldwing. He said he saw me while heading east (the opposite direction). He apologized for not arriving sooner, but he had to bt turn around at the next exit. He had service on his cell phone and lent it to me. Thirty minutes later AAA arrived and I was outta there having made a new friend. My advice is make sure your vehicle is in good condition. Have the tires checked and the motor oil changed if it's due or will become due by the time you reach you destination. Have the cooling system checked out and anti freeze put in, if it's due. Winter is coming and it may be colder than the area you're coming from. Improper radiator coolant could cause you problems if it freezes where you're going. Check your windshield wipers and fluid. And despite your out of state license plates, try not to look like (advertise) the fact you're from out of state or just passing through. When you get off the freeway, don't stop at some place in the boonies where no one's around. Watch your gas gauge and refill your tank when it get's to half. And consider topping it off every morning. Take breaks. No one ever started a road trip intending to fall asleep at the wheel, but it can and does happen. Winter's coming. I don't know when you're planning to make the trip or which route you plan to take. Generally, to more northern the route, the more cold/snow/rain you'll see. While en route, check local forecasts for the areas you'll be traveling into for the next few days. And you'll be fine. Bon Voyage!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:16 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
I've made the West Coast to East Coast trip twice -- both time driving a moving truck (once with a vehicle in tow). Each trip took five long days and, as I was alone (except for the critters), I did all the driving.

It's not necessarily a fun drive, but it's definitely do-able. As has already been pointed out -- make sure to have your vehicle thoroughly checked out, and make motel reservations ahead of time.

I also made sure that I had a good collection of CDs with me, so that I'd have something to listen to during those long stretches of highway when all the radio pulls in is static, and carried snacks so I wouldn't have to stop too often.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
I would love to do this...but it would take me three weeks! I'd have to stop at every silly roadside attraction known and unknown to man....largest ball of string?? Squirrel!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM

47 posts, read 98,166 times
I recently moved from Charleston, WV to Los Angeles. My adult daughter accompanied me on the 2500 mile trip and it was a wonderful experience. I even found Kansas to be interesting. My favorite stops were Vail, Colorado, and Moab, Utah. There is so much to see in our beautiful country. We didn't rush but didn't dawdle either. We spent five nights on the road and I have many wonderful memories of our relaxing trip. It was hot, though, brother was it ever hot!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I would love to do this...but it would take me three weeks! I'd have to stop at every silly roadside attraction known and unknown to man....largest ball of string?? Squirrel!
That sounds like me! I love a good road trip. Have you read Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent? He does a road trip around the US and stops at many attractions. It's a pretty funny book.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM

181 posts, read 505,933 times
Well I did it! I drove across the country. I'm now on the East Coast, although not quite to my final destination yet. I'm taking a detour through North Carolina, had to "see about a guy" to quote from a Boston movie. Monday I continue the last leg of the journey, up the east coast.

I took 1-40 all the way so far. Super easy drive, if a little boring at times. Did it in 3 1/2 days, (CA to NC) pretty fast! That's also why I'm breaking for the weekend.

And I went alone. I've enjoyed the solitude with just the road, my thoughts, and my music. Have seen a lot, will have to write a chapter about it. I've been checking in by phone with a friend back in CA. Twice a day I tell her where I am and how I'm doing. Gave her all my car info. So I guess theoretically the rescuers could at least find my body if anything happened. But I'm fine!

The only snag I've had is pre-booking hotels. Oddly I found I was better off just finding hotels once I was ready to stop. There were plenty right off the highway, and it was good to have the opportunity to scope them out in person before booking. Some of my pre-booked ones were so bad I had to cancel. The whole sight unseen thing. Hotwire. I'll never use them again!

But other than that it's been a blast! Glad to have done it. But yeah, I doubt I'll ever do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues