Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 AM

6 posts, read 39,890 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from GA to TX using the Beltmann Group of North American Van Lines. 2 boxes did not make it and they are denying my claim and are refusing to pay up. They say no evidence of missing items. Our belongings were the only ones on the truck. The two clearly marked boxes contained a PS3 and many accessories. I believe those two boxes were stolen by some of the workers, most likely as the truck was being loaded in GA. If you have ever had a large move, you know that moving companies use stickers to inventory everything. Well about half of our stickers fell off. I was told on the load and unload side by workers that it was "no big deal". So I did not worry about it. After the truck was unloaded, my son noticed that he could not find those two boxes. We figured they were somewhere amongst all our stuff. But since I could not verify that, i did not sign the inventory checklist and i wrote a note on that list about all the missing stickers and that I did not know at that time if we had everything.
I have tried following procedure. I filed a claim. It was denied. I filed a very detailed appeal. Still denied. I have filed a police report in GA but they won't do anything. Moving company says I can use the arbitration system. But that sounds fishy to me. I do not want to have to hire an attorney, but I do not know what else to do. The lost items replacement cost is about $1200.
I need help. Please Make Suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM

521 posts, read 4,412,793 times
What argument is the van line using if the two missing items you're claiming were inventoried but did not check off?

The very fact that multiple stickers were missing at the time of delivery as evidenced by your lack of signature of receipt and accompanying note suggests that the loss bears attention than a cursory investigation.

If the items were stolen at origin, as you allege, the mover would normally refer you to local law enforcement to file a theft report. They would then await the results of the police investigation before adjudicating further.

If the boxes were not inventoried, it's your word against theirs they had care, custody and control of the missing items.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM

452 posts, read 898,156 times
I would check with the moving company about the arbitration and also ask about the inventory sheets. What good are the inventory sheets if you did not sign it and if all the stickers where not on the boxes?

Anything of value goes with us when we move we never leave it for the moving company to take or even the driver to sideline and give to us at truck stop when the truck gets there prior to storage. The driver is ultimately responsible and the hired hands packing are usually packers not even associated with the driver. We lost a lot in our last move and had quite a bit broken a 2 day pack turned out to be 6 days and after that I have went through every box and anything that is not of value is gone. More room in the house and less junk that got packed up and moved minus the items we lost and broken. Anything worth any value we now pack and keep with us usually gaming systems or anything small that can get misplaced.

I am sorry to hear for your loss. If you do not want to go through arbitration then call it a learned lesson and buy the lost items for the child. Be thankful that in this day and age you had someone packing your items and you did not have to make the move yourself. PS if you paid for the move yourself or the company ask them since they lost the inventory stickers does this mean only the items that had the stickers on it would be the charges amount? If yes, then give you back the difference.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Before you consider arbitration, check your bill of lading or company contract (if applicable) and determine what level of transit valuation applies to your move. If a company paid for your move and they are self-insured, their contract may preclude settlement with the van line.

Beltmann is an agent of North American Van Lines, one of two domestic household goods carriers that operate under the SIRVA, a leading worldwide provider of company relocation services

SIRVA offers the independent alternative dispute resolution services of the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") located at the following address:

American Arbitration Association
225 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 2527
Chicago, Illinois 60601-7601 USA
Phone: (312) 616-6560
FAX: (312) 819-0404

Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM

I filed a theft report with the police in GA. They say they will not investigate. They suggested I possibly contact a lawyer and go to small claims court.
The van lines say no evidence of loss. On the inventory sheet there is a small box at the bottom that says Everything received? check Yes or No. It does state to call this number immediately if items are missing. I did not check either box because I did not even see the box at 10pm when the driver is shoving papers at me to sign and hurry up to get out of there. He told me that what I wrote on that paper would be sufficient to cover me. I wrote "Many stickers fell off and unable to completely check off everything at this time." I did not see the box until a month later after the claims officer informs me that there is not evidence of loss. I have over 75 items not checked off on my inventory sheet. I have no way of knowing which 2 boxes were the ones in question. I am tempted to file a claim for every item not checked off on my inventory sheet.
Just FYI - I packed all the boxes. I paid the movers to load, transport and unload. I opted to go with the Maximum Value Protection for damages and loss that included $0 deductible that was provided by the movers.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM

If I go the arbitration route and by some horrible twist of fate still do not get compensated for loss, have I given up my right to contacting as attorney and filing a claim for that loss?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Just based on what you've reported here in public, I suspect that most mediators with would deny your missing item claim.

Under the terms of your bill of lading, you have 180 days from the date you accepted delivery at your residence to file a claim against the carrier.

Once you file a claim, the carrier must acknowledge your claim within 30 days of receipt of the documents and can offer a settlement or request additional information.

If you packed the $1200 worth of items you claim are missing in boxes that neither you nor the carrier can confirm even existed, then the arbitrator will side with the carrier since there is no proof that they had care, custody or control of the articles.

Talk to your attorney and they will probably tell you the same thing.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM

14,461 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunit19 View Post
The lost items replacement cost is about $1200.
I need help. Please Make Suggestions???
Have you tried the Better Business Bureau?
They helped me with a business that damaged my vehicle, as well as a friend who paid for two service calls from a serviceman but they never came back for the second visit.

What do you think happened to those two boxes?
Was there something about those boxes that made them stand out, as something of great value and worth stealing? Or were they no difference in appearance, etc. as the other boxes.

There are some shippers who put more than one shipment on the same truck. This causes them to have to stop at the first location, open the truck and unload. This makes the items belonging to the person on the next stop, to have their items "at risk."

Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
You know in my opinion , I think you should get an attorney and sue , sue , sue and then some .. get more and over than what you lost because of all the aggrivation you have been through .. Good luck to you .

Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,056,556 times
Even if you can prove that they lost 2 boxes, if you don't have proof of what was in those 2 boxes you will likely lose in mediation. I'm sorry this happened to you, you could talk to a lawyer but I don't think you'll get the result you hope for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues