Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM

4 posts, read 6,075 times

Advertisements

I will be moving next winter/spring and taking a one-week trip to my future city in January. While there my main purpose will be to check out neighborhoods and find a place to live (apartment). A move-in date in February or March would be ideal. I plan on looking on craigslist as well as local newspapers and just walking around neighborhoods looking for signs. I won't have a job when I move but I have good credit and several months' rent saved up and would be willing to pay in advance or do a sublet (or, if I'm really desperate, roommates/housemates). Has anyone gone on such a trip and managed to find a place to live in a short amount of time? I'm just a little nervous that I won't be able to find a place within the week that I'm there, and that my trip will be wasted.

I would really appreciate reading about any successful scouting/apartment-hunting trips you've gone on. Tips would be welcome too! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 AM

46 posts, read 135,267 times
To find the perfect apartment I lived today, it was probably one of the experience I can't really forget. It was hard because I need to consider my place of work, my budget and my taste. But I am so lucky that I am able to find one that perfectly fit all the requirement I set. Tips? As for me, the first thing I considered was my income. I allocate a quarter of your monthly earnings for apartment lease. When I was looking for some place to rent, I make use of several apartment search opportunity to widen the range of my options and to acquire the best leasing rate. Probably one of the best technique I did was to look for an apartment throughout weekends or even following the working day I am available to obtain a concept of how close off the apartment from noise and sounds. Good luck on your apartment hunting

Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I have done this because in some states I relocated I stayed in a hotel till I found a place. What I did was before I left I called some of the apartments and condos I wanted to view to see availability and cost. I am picky too so for ex I wanted a top floor and away from roads etc. I would also go on the forums here and ask for suggestions in the state/city you are looking at. If not real familiar with the area I would google the zip to get crime rates. Some also give maps of near things such as malls. When you get to the new area make sure to drive around in all directions to get a feel for the living area. Try to go back at night to see what it is like. If you are noise sensitive like I am ask about any major noise issues etc. If you want to rent from a private owner I would also look on realtor.com under rentals.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfounddoor View Post
While there my main purpose will be to check out neighborhoods and find a place to live (apartment).
I think it's really asking a lot to go some new town to find the right place.

You need to do a LOT of homework in advance so you can go there with 2 or maybe 3 choices in mind;
choices that seem to meet the commute to work and/or school district and/or the social aspects that are
most important to you... and then see which of those 2 or 3 is closest to your expectation.

From craigslist and padmapper go to google maps and streetview to "drive" around. Go to the local city forum and ask *general* questions about X or Y... and if anyone can suggest some other place to look.

But the #1 best thing you can do (really must do short of having a job lined up) is have a short list of the 4 or 5 places you're most likely to find a job based on your specific skillset.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfounddoor View Post
I will be moving next winter/spring and taking a one-week trip to my future city in January. While there my main purpose will be to check out neighborhoods and find a place to live (apartment). A move-in date in February or March would be ideal. I plan on looking on craigslist as well as local newspapers and just walking around neighborhoods looking for signs. I won't have a job when I move but I have good credit and several months' rent saved up and would be willing to pay in advance or do a sublet (or, if I'm really desperate, roommates/housemates). Has anyone gone on such a trip and managed to find a place to live in a short amount of time? I'm just a little nervous that I won't be able to find a place within the week that I'm there, and that my trip will be wasted.

I would really appreciate reading about any successful scouting/apartment-hunting trips you've gone on. Tips would be welcome too! Thanks in advance.
Personally, I found my current place in a weekend trip from Louisville while I was in town to sign papers for my new job in VA. My advice is to actually visit as many places as humanly possible and talk to as many prospective places' landlords about your situation. I think you would find that private renters are more flexible about situations like bad credit, no job but funds to pay rent, etc.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
Do a little research and find the best schools and use that as ground zero. Good schools usually mean good people live in the area and take pride in the area etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues