Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM

815 posts, read 979,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy50 View Post
I am planning to pack up and move to Rogers Arkansas on May 1 and have never been there. But I have lived in Tyler, TX for so many years and it is not a friendly place to live. Very cliquish and either your filthy rich or dirt poor and there is no in between. I have been looking for a place to live and I think I did tonight. Waiting for tomorrow night to talk to the lady again. I am 50 and my son is a high functioning autistic person that works as a night stocker at a grocery store and we both want to do this. His hours are getting cut after 9 years and the company is going nuts with this. So we are going to move to Rogers and pay 4 months rent and pray that he gets a job in that time and we will live off of my disability while we wait. I am just wondering what you all think about doing this. I have a mother here, and my other son and grand kids live here but I don't ever see them, they all have their own lives. My mother and I eat out once a week but that is it. I talk to her everyday on the phone but I can do that from Arkansas. My daughter in laws family lives in Oklahoma, not far from Rogers and when my son and her come see her family they can come see us. It is 6 hours from here so that isn't across the world. I am a little nervous but after talking to several people from that area I am feeling somewhat more relieved about it and I am a little excited. Please give me advice.. Would someone my age do this???

If you don't do it, you will always wonder "what if?"
Six hours isn't very far away at all.
But please do your research and don't be overly impulsive because you are so desperate to move.
I'd highly advise spending some time in the new area before just up and moving there.
I'm all for being adventurous, but MOVING somewhere that you have never even visited, is probably not the best choice.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Mateo and PDF--good luck to you both. Keep us posted, OK?
The move from Florida to California has gone well. I've been here a month now, wow how time flies. There has been some adjusting to do, but things went far easier than I could ever have hoped for.

I spent so many years waiting to do it, and being afraid to do it. But it all worked out!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
A former resident in the house my wife and I were buying before we moved where we are now, moved in the middle of the night. Neighbors said they woke up one morning, the front door was left wide open, house was empty, and the front yard looked like it was set up for a yard sale. This person is a member of the Army, stationed at Ft. Campbell, about a 35 mile drive. The stuff left in the yard disappeared quickly among the neighbors after a couple days waiting to see if they were coming back after it. The problem is he never moved his mail! A good 2-3 years after he moved we were still getting his mail, quite a bit from the Army! I feel sorry for the two boys everybody said he and his wife had. They were doing great in school, lots of friends, and have to leave overnight.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The move from Florida to California has gone well. I've been here a month now, wow how time flies. There has been some adjusting to do, but things went far easier than I could ever have hoped for.

I spent so many years waiting to do it, and being afraid to do it. But it all worked out!
Thanks for the update. Best of luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
Step 1) Applied for jobs all over the world
Step 2) Received job offer, starting 3 weeks from date of phone interview
Step 3) Went to the U.S. Embassy in Sydney and applied for work visa
Step 4) Work visa was granted within a matter of days
Step 5) Sold Car
Step 6) Started packing bags (2 suitcases) and saying adios to friends & relatives
Step 7) 3 days from work visa being approved, caught flight to U.S.
Step 8) Bought Car
Step 9) Found Apartment
Step 10) Started working and started a new life

8 years later, I'm still in the U.S. and couldn't be more content. I'm happily married, I own a house and I have a baby on the way! Leaving Australia was the best thing I ever did. It was a stressful few weeks between the job offer, visa, moving and starting a new job in a new city, but it all worked out.

As long as you have a job or some direction at the other end, I think that making a dramatic move is a perfectly reasonable risk to take.

Oh, and those two suitcases I started with? Somehow, 8 years later they've expanded into the size of a 22 foot Penske truck =/ Talk about accumulation of furniture, etc!

Old 12-06-2014, 11:09 PM

18 posts, read 34,339 times
I am 51 and looking to move before next fall. I've been saying this for a few years now. I am currently living in my hometown I grew up in. I did leave at 18. I joined the Army and lived in Virginia, Georgia, Belgium and France, Colorado and 10 years in Florida. Once I had my children in FL, I decided to return to Ohio for a safer upbringing for my girls. Fast forward 15 years and my oldest is in her second year of college and my youngest, a junior in high school. Not sure how much longer I can hold on living in a dark, cold, depressing place I call my hometown. Nothing to do here, no shopping or restaurants to speak of. I long to return to the South, where the sun shines and I can see palm trees everyday. Currently I've applied with my job to transfer back to FL; taking forever. If it doesn't happen I am thinking I will just move before next fall and reinvent myself with a new job and life. My girls are well aware of my desires and will join me. I feel as though I am rotting from the inside out here and my health is starting to be effected. I wonder if anyone else feels like that? Great thread, best of luck to all who choose to attempt these adventures and hope everyone takes the chance as Life is Short!!

Old 12-07-2014, 03:04 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy50 View Post
I am planning to pack up and move to Rogers Arkansas on May 1 and have never been there. But I have lived in Tyler, TX for so many years and it is not a friendly place to live. Very cliquish and either your filthy rich or dirt poor and there is no in between. I have been looking for a place to live and I think I did tonight. Waiting for tomorrow night to talk to the lady again. I am 50 and my son is a high functioning autistic person that works as a night stocker at a grocery store and we both want to do this. His hours are getting cut after 9 years and the company is going nuts with this. So we are going to move to Rogers and pay 4 months rent and pray that he gets a job in that time and we will live off of my disability while we wait. I am just wondering what you all think about doing this. I have a mother here, and my other son and grand kids live here but I don't ever see them, they all have their own lives. My mother and I eat out once a week but that is it. I talk to her everyday on the phone but I can do that from Arkansas. My daughter in laws family lives in Oklahoma, not far from Rogers and when my son and her come see her family they can come see us. It is 6 hours from here so that isn't across the world. I am a little nervous but after talking to several people from that area I am feeling somewhat more relieved about it and I am a little excited. Please give me advice.. Would someone my age do this???
Yes. I had an apartment which was subsidized since on Social Security you can't afford normal rent. I had busses to take me where I wanted. Family was near. My son lived near. This was in socal, and there were movies and fun available easily.

I surprised them all by announcing at some holiday gathering that I was going to move to Oklahoma. I had a friend who lives in town and would be going there in a few months to work on stuff for our convention (I ran regrestration) and could find a small house cheap. I only mentioned it to get a cosigner. But the place I got was cheap enough I got my inheritance early.

No busses, and it gets really cold on and off in winter. Family mostly still in California. A drive to most places. But I'm fine with that since I wanted quiet and space. I never want to share a wall with anyone again.

I say do it. Visit your relatives in Ok, and enjoy the scenery. Don't expect it to be perfect and if your coming from somewhere people like to hurry, well, lets say its very different, but I have gotten to LIKE that now. Most of my friends had moved, and ironically one is far closer now than before. But I call the same friends I could call from CA.

Sometimes you need to get off the old and familiar and learn to see the world in a different way, and a place where nobody knows you so nobody expects you to be your old self.

I say go for it. You wouldn't be making plans if you didn't feel the need to reinvent yourself. Its a wonderful feeling.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM

351 posts, read 491,831 times
I've enjoyed this post. I was widowed in 2013 just as we were planning to move to another state. After listening to my friends say 'you can't move', I stayed. I too feel like I am rotting away on the inside. There's nothing here for me in my hometown anymore. I just need to pull the trigger next summer and move. It's scary - 3 kids - one will be a senior in high school - but these posts have been very inspirational.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 PM

260 posts, read 427,921 times
I just did this a couple of weeks ago! Moved from Michigan to Tennessee, my first inter-state move ever. It's a little scary, I still don't have a job, but I'm with my mom down here so at least I have a place to stay! And her side of the family lives around here so it makes it easier. I'm making money baby/pet sitting so at least I have something. My dad was really trying to get me to stay in MI, saying that my moving wasn't rational and sarcastically saying "good luck" when he knew I was actively in the process of leaving. But I've been pretty happy down here, just can't wait to get a job! Some income would be nice but yes, I agree that if you feel trapped in a place and your life is miserable where it is, why stay?

Old 09-17-2015, 10:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,636 times
All of these posts are so inspiring, I COMMEND all of you that have taken that leap to just GO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues