Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,797 times

Advertisements

I don't know, maybe I worry less than I should about finding a place to live in a new city, but it seems to me that finding a JOB would be the most worrisome part of moving. You can always stay in a hotel for a little bit near your work while you go around looking at apartments or homes. But to come to a new city and say, "I'm sure I'll find a job, but I'm really worried about finding a place to live!" seems a little backward to me. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of places to live, finding a job should be the main focus, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Not always...if you have a bad credit score, finding a place to live can be challenging. Lots of folks can be transferred, and have a job...that is the easy part...figuring out a town you may have never visited can be difficult, especially if you have kids and want good schools.

I remember moving to Miami...all I saw were ghetto areas....and really rich fancy places...I was stressed....under a time crunch to find a place fast. Thankfully, CD folks steered me to a few areas to check out, on the train line for a good commute.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 PM

244 posts, read 667,518 times
For us, the job part will be taken care of as my husband will be able to transfer. We have a child, so we will want to make sure the area we live in will be safe and near good schools. If you don't know the ins and outs of the city you are moving too, that can be very stressful. You always hope you made the right decision and will not be stuck somewhere for the length of a lease in an awful place.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones 311 View Post
I don't know, maybe I worry less than I should about finding a place to live in a new city, but it seems to me that finding a JOB would be the most worrisome part of moving. You can always stay in a hotel for a little bit near your work while you go around looking at apartments or homes. But to come to a new city and say, "I'm sure I'll find a job, but I'm really worried about finding a place to live!" seems a little backward to me. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of places to live, finding a job should be the main focus, right?
I agree with you. I am always amazed at those who say they are moving without job prospects to a city where they say with the utmost confidence that they "will do anything" like wash dishes or sling burgers or the like when in so many places those are the very jobs that are the most difficult to come by. Many, many others before them have relocated with the same idea in mind. Not to mention the fact that the out of work locals are clamoring for those jobs as well because they are desperate.

Hostels, rooms to rent, motels, B&Bs can always be found but jobs, especially in some cities in these times are tough. And surprisingly, so many do not do their homework to see if there is a market for their skills where they are going. If there is a saturated market for graphic designers, for example, the likelihood of their getting work over someone with the same skills who has been a long time resident will not be very promising.

So, yes, job first, apartment hunting second.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree with you. I am always amazed at those who say they are moving without job prospects to a city where they say with the utmost confidence that they "will do anything" like wash dishes or sling burgers or the like when in so many places those are the very jobs that are the most difficult to come by. Many, many others before them have relocated with the same idea in mind. Not to mention the fact that the out of work locals are clamoring for those jobs as well because they are desperate.

Hostels, rooms to rent, motels, B&Bs can always be found but jobs, especially in some cities in these times are tough. And surprisingly, so many do not do their homework to see if there is a market for their skills where they are going. If there is a saturated market for graphic designers, for example, the likelihood of their getting work over someone with the same skills who has been a long time resident will not be very promising.

So, yes, job first, apartment hunting second.
Why is that so hard to understand? For a lot of us, it's our only option. I know that if I took your advice, I would continue to forever not have a life here. If one has a bunch of savings, then I don't see what the problem is.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Why is that so hard to understand? For a lot of us, it's our only option. I know that if I took your advice, I would continue to forever not have a life here. If one has a bunch of savings, then I don't see what the problem is.
Having a bunch of savings was not a part of the original question. It would make it easier but it would have to be a very large bunch in order to survive in some places.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Not really. People have a different perception on "living" and "budget". I can easily rent a room in someone's house, no hassle with setting up utilities, and live on PB sandwiches. Work two jobs to save money...you can always find a swing shift open at a gas station, or graveyard shift doing freight or checking at a grocery store. While looking for a better job, or another place to live...

Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Not really. People have a different perception on "living" and "budget". I can easily rent a room in someone's house, no hassle with setting up utilities, and live on PB sandwiches. Work two jobs to save money...you can always find a swing shift open at a gas station, or graveyard shift doing freight or checking at a grocery store. While looking for a better job, or another place to live...
In most places that is true but in some the competition for those jobs is pretty fierce.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Not necessarily, i'm not worried about the whole job thing but I am about finding the right home to purchase. However my husbands job transfers so we will be assured at least one job so I don't worry so much about finding me one. My husband will at least have his job, while I job hunt. I guess if one persons job transfers not everyone is so worried about such things. I'm very picky about finding just the right home, because I wont live just anywhere. I'm not the average home buyer, there are some things I wont put up with in a home, so my concern is a brand new never before lived in home, not a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues