U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 AM

154 posts, read 372,354 times

Advertisements

NOW I've done it !!!!!!!!!! I just had to read about roll overs and Uhaul trailers.....What can I do to prevent them? I see hundreds on them on the hwy and I have never seen a rollover...I have pulled a small RV from KY to FL and was ok. Is this the same thing as pulling a uhaul ?? I don't want to jinx myself but I am a pretty good drive (female even).......Please give me some tips.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 AM

6,646 posts, read 11,040,354 times
There are some tips here to avoid trailer swaying, probably the leading cause of rollovers.

U-Haul: Tips: Learn how to load and haul a trailer safely
Hitching Up - Trailer - Sway

Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 AM

2,728 posts, read 4,937,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
NOW I've done it !!!!!!!!!! I just had to read about roll overs and Uhaul trailers.....What can I do to prevent them? I see hundreds on them on the hwy and I have never seen a rollover...I have pulled a small RV from KY to FL and was ok. Is this the same thing as pulling a uhaul ?? I don't want to jinx myself but I am a pretty good drive (female even).......Please give me some tips.
1. Make sure your trailer isn't too big, and that everything on the tow vehicle is working properly - including mirrors that give you plenty of rear view vision.
2. Load the trailer correctly. 60%-70% of the weight should be in FRONT of the axle, resting on the tongue. This will keep the trailer from "fish-tailing." Do not overload the trailer. Heavy stuff goes on the bottom of the load, to lower your center of gravity.
3. Take "wide" corners so that you don't clip anything.
4. Read the owners' manual for the tow vehicle to be sure, but you should probably leave it OUT of over-drive when towing a trailer.
5. Do not do ANYTHING fast. Don't accelerate fast, give yourself a LOT of room for braking, and don't turn fast.
6. Don't drive over 60 mph, unless & until you become VERY comfortable towing the trailer.
7. Do not pull into a tight area that you cannot easily drive out of. Backing up these trailers can be a real pain in the butt.

Don't panic. You'll do just fine!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,517,085 times
Make sure that the ball is at the correct height, too. Which hitch you need can vary with the height of your receiver / vehicle. You want the trailer to be pretty level. Towing with either a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, I've never ever had a U-Haul sway. But I only use the two largest enclosed trailers they offer. I prefer the double-axle one.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 AM

154 posts, read 372,354 times
I did get a double axle. I have faith in myself. It is the others I am afraid of....Thank you all, I will be fine and will let you know when I get there. I take you guys everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues