U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,489,562 times

Advertisements

coming down to the wire, here: move day is next wed!! So I want to make sure I have enough cash on hand to do this....

I'm told that there will be 2 drivers who will be assisted by 2 loaders at each end (the loaders will be locals). so... if I'm tipping.. is $40 each too little, or ok? So if I tip the 2 loaders at each end do I double tip the drivers (who are also loading/unloading with the local crew) or just tip them once...? just not sure how to handle this part.

no idea what DH is going to do as far as providing lunch on loading day or not - I will have rolls & cold cuts for delivery day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 PM

32,474 posts, read 75,738,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I'm told that there will be 2 drivers who will be assisted by 2 loaders at each end (the loaders will be locals).
The driver guys get paid off when EVERYTHING is done and not before.
The local guys will be "rent a bum" day labor types... and really appreciate CASH.

Quote:
no idea what DH is going to do as far as providing lunch on loading day or not -
I will have rolls & cold cuts for delivery day.
That's nice... I'd suggest already made up sandwiches or delivered pizza.
Less wasted time, less mess... and no leftover issues.

Quote:
so... if I'm tipping... is $40 each too little, or ok?
I wouldn't tip less than that but more should still be based on performance.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's nice... I'd suggest already made up sandwiches or delivered pizza.
Less wasted time, less mess... and no leftover issues.
I would if I could, but I'm moving to the country and there is no one that delivers (except maybe a local chinese place). the closest fast food is nearly 20min away -and I may be the only one at the house to oversee (so I don't really want to leave). fixings I can pick up at the grocery store the night before.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 AM

8,992 posts, read 8,155,360 times
I would not bother with the sandwiches.

I would tip the guys $45 to $65 each depending on how good they were. If they kept your schedule, they deserve more.. if they worked on a moderate type of energy level that is good, if they are too slow, then it will cost you the $$$ the more hours they work. but if they are moderate to fast, they save you the hours it will cost you (you know, the quote that says they get paid by the hour). if they were careful with your stuff, that too is a good thing. If they reasonably made your delivery windows, then thats also more deserving. And if you estimated a certain amount for the move based on your estimated hours, if they were faster than that, you could take the money you had budgeted for the hours, and give it to the workmen for tips. Especially if its very hot/humid out, and/or they walked up and down a lot of steps, etc..

mostly give them water and soda to drink. Cans, plastic bottles, whatever, but NO BEER!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM

54 posts, read 99,259 times
Best take out some theft & accident insurance, usually offered at time of contract.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 PM

well, the move is done!! I have no idea if DH paid for the extra insurance or not, I had told him to but... it was a very confusing day. The movers arrived when they were supposed to, with additional 2 locals making a team of 6! I had not left when I was supposed to, so I was there when they arrived. the house was still a wreck, we'd been up til late packing things (well, throwing things) into boxes until we just had to go to sleep or risk getting sick. and it still wasn't finished. the movers ended up helping to pack things still left. so, with all that chaos, and the house filled with a bunch of dead boxes that weren't any good for packing and no room outdoors in the sleet to put them where they wouldn't blow around.... I'm not terribly shocked that they missed a standing lamp and at least 1 box that was supposed to go. they did a lot. DH was going to send his brother out for Big Mac meals for them, and he was going to tip the crew (they definitely deserved it), but they were suddenly gone and he didn't get a chance to. he called the contact guy to make arrangements to drop some tip money off for them at the office.

It took me 16 hours to make a normally 10 hour drive with a friend adn 5 cats (gruelling doesn't begin to describe it), but we got in. met a plow guy the next morning to plowed my driveway so the moving van could get in. It arrived the day it was supposed to, maybe an hour later than I was expecting, but only the 2 drivers! they didn't want any local help. They were champs. they got everything unloade, I mostly sat in the living room with a friend while they bustled around. when enough kitchen boxes came in, I started unpacking those (good idea, we wouldhave run out of room!). I had picked up roast beef & turkey & cheese for sandwiches for them, but when they finished at 1:30ish they said they were fine and had food vouchers (and one guy admitted that he was 'lunch-meated out' since he was having to eat the stuff at home that his visiting son wasn't eating). I did give them some water, and of course the bathroom.

They had been told to wait so I could tip them. because it was just the 2 of them on my end, and all the work they all did on the other end... I gave them each $20 extra (making it $60 ea). wow, they were great.

As far as I can tell, only 1 plastic box of clothes arrived with a very busted bottom (clothes are fine; it wasn't an expensive plastic tub anyway), and 1 box of necessary kitchen stuff was left in the garage with the majority of boxes, but I found it (it had the fry pan and the silverware!). he even dug through the tubs to find the one marked 'microwave plate' for me!

If anyone from MD is contemplating a move, I heartily recommend Wheaton Van Lines! btw: I did not go for a binding estimate since we had no idea how things would work out as we sorted and cleared. at the second walk-through the price had already dropped $1k, and when they finally got loaded and re-weighed, it came in $2k under the original estimate. I was very happy for the non-binding to give us flexibility. great company. I'm glad it's over.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM

5,699 posts, read 6,935,398 times
I am having my stuff moved next weekend and I am not sure how to tip. Three men will be moving my stuff to storage. In a couple of weeks another three men will be delivering my stuff out of state. How should I tip them? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM

96 posts, read 161,883 times
I just finished my local move and after reading this thread went ahead and tipped the guys an extra $20 each. They seemed really appreciative. I was glad I did it. They even stayed late to get everything set up for us. Great movers. We were very lucky to have their help! If you ever need local movers in OKC: call Charles at 405-821-1194. They did a wonderful job. Wrapped everything up, and stayed late setting up our beds so we could get a good night's sleep! I was so grateful.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,525 times
We had some horrible movers when we moved from NYC area to somewhere about 5 hours N.East. All they wanted to know is who would be tipping them because a relative paid for our move.

They wanted to charge us extra to get our sofa up to the second floor and had a very bad attitude. We only had water in the apartment having just got in a few minutes before them and the guy says "NAHH!" to me in a rude voice when I asked if he wanted some.

Some people are asses and don't deserve a penny more than they are paid. Or you might get a great guy. You have to judge for yourself.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,030,761 times
When I hired a husband/wife mover that took a couple of days in transit and they did a great job, I bought them a nice motel for the night and dinner at a good restaurant. Those are two things truck drivers rarely get and it was well appreciated. Money will soon be forgotten but a break from the road will be remembered for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues