Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times

Advertisements

I think I was born ambivalent!

I just returned from visiting a friend in Minnesota; she lives in a suburb of Minneapolis. I had such a wonderful time with her. We see life in much the same way. I would move there just to hang out with her once a week or so. (Before I'd make that choice, I'd definitely spend a week or two there in January or February!)

However, I grew up here in L.A., and more importantly, I love the people I work with. I work in the financial services industry, and my financial advisors are two of the most reasonable, normal people I've ever had the pleasure of working with. So many financial advisors can't see past their own egos, and my FAs are ethical as well. I'm their assistant; I've worked with them for the past six years. It has been my experience that people make or break this job. The job itself isn't nearly as important as whether or not I get along well with the people I interact with daily.

So do I just resign myself to staying in L.A. for the rest of my life (or at least until I retire!), because I'm afraid to take the risk that I may end up with horrible FAs? If I decide to do that, then I have to find a way to move from my awful (but rent-controlled!) apartment before I completely lose what little sanity I have left. But I digress.

The dilemma isn't between Minnepolis and here. It's the dilemma of risk vs. safety. Has anyone else dealt with this? *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Move to another apt. Give yourself some time in that new environment. Do this in order to rethink packing up & moving to MN.

Of course, everyone has dealt with risk v safety. I packed up & moved across the country to San Diego after staying with relatives I am very close to. I was sick of my job; sick of where I lived; just tired to the same old same old. It was a huge risk. I was back in my home state 6 months later.

Long story short: I took the risk. I wasn't married & was responsible for no one but myself. It did end up costing me $$, but 10 years later, I have no recollection of how much b/c in reality, it was more of the best learning experience than anything else.

My husband & I were JUST having a convo tonight at dinner about work associates. They do make or break a situation. We are also both prior military. We don't miss the politics of it, we miss the people we worked with every day. If you are happy with the people you work with, you are way ahead in the game. No amount of $$ can substitute for a healthy work environment.

You don't have to stay in LA the rest of your life. You just might need to change up the environment you are currently in & from there decide where is the best place for you to move onto.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:36 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
So do I just resign myself to staying in L.A. for the rest of my life (or at least until I retire!), because I'm afraid to take the risk that I may end up with horrible FAs? If I decide to do that, then I have to find a way to move from my awful (but rent-controlled!) apartment before I completely lose what little sanity I have left.
Well, your rent-controlled apartment is your safety net in L.A., so moving from there would be a risk, too. If you left it, your housing costs would probably double or even triple, and you might be even more miserable with less money. Almost everybody who leaves L.A. is relieved to be out from under the tremendous pressure of affording life in L.A., but many miss the weather, the beach and the other good things about the area. There's always a tradeoff.

I think we should be open to opportunities. Taking risks opens us to new possibilities-- and making one change opens the door to so many others. The trick is to think of it as a beginning rather than an ending... and leave knowing you can always come back. Few decisions are final, so maybe it's time to try your wings... and seek out a situation more to your liking (even if it's just a new apartment). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues